Author Topic: Seen any green algae? Scary read...  (Read 1425 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Seen any green algae? Scary read...
« on: December 19, 2014, 07:37:12 AM »
I have heard of Red Tide and Brazilian bay water, but this is spooky.

http://www.environmentalhealthnews.org/ehs/news/2014/dec/als-and-algae

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Seen any green algae? Scary read...
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 10:30:35 AM »
It's just the original residents trying to take back the territory from those damned oxygen breathers.

ALS would be a crappy way to go. On a happier note, Stephen Hawking turned 72 this year. He had it for fifty years. I'm afraid he's better equipped to handle it than I would be. I'm resenting the minor infirmities of old age.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Seen any green algae? Scary read...
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 10:53:18 AM »
Human beings tend to pollute themselves so much with alcohol, tobacco and drugs of various kinds.  I suppose you could consider those parts of the environment as well. It makes it hard to determine causality and generate adequate controls for studies.

Some older people who ingested pot and drugs when they are younger but stopped could have set themselves up for neurologic disease later, there is so much garbage and pesticides in stuff. Many critical brain and motor functions are handled by very sensitive, very small clumps of neurons that can be easily poisoned.

I spoke with a friend who said even some joint replacement might be due to alcohol use, which causes deterioration due to its water solvency.

Separating environment and genetic tendencies is especially difficult, particularly when multifactorial causation is present, like a one-two-three punch.

It is nice to see a study that is science and is not lobbied by a group of class action lawyers going after an industry or group, however.  I always look for the underlying economic motives in so called "studies", but I don't see one here.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal