Author Topic: Bizarre SUP “Kickstarter” - Pele Boards  (Read 12258 times)

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
Re: Bizarre SUP “Kickstarter” - Pele Boards
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2014, 07:44:34 AM »
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

BigSlaveDave

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2014, 08:30:29 AM »
It does bring up a question I had......because I'm just starting out with Sups but have a background in kayaking and regular surfing:  How come suppers never took to a double blade paddle, like a kayak paddle?  Too long?  It'd be much more efficient.  i'm gonna try my sea kayak paddle (long one) on my Sup and see what happens.

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2014, 10:21:38 AM »
In any case, there are so many ways to get exercise, and so many elegant (in a design/engineering sense) ways of moving forward, and what they have in common is they've evolved to be efficient whether there's gear involved or not--swim strokes, running, bikes, kayaks, SUPs, skateboards, snowboards--so why resort to weird contraptions or methods that aren't as efficient or as fun as the things that already work so well?  If the Pele Board was faster, more maneuverable and/or simpler than a standup board, I'd respect it more.  But it reminds me of someone going for a run while doing dumbbell curls.

Evolution requires wackiness. A gene mutation, an idea, or bustin a new move. There must be a market for this idea as there is for every idea. I gather the market probably isn't here.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2014, 11:07:17 AM »
Julian - +1 on that pal. Just straight cash 💰 homey!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2014, 11:21:36 AM »
It does bring up a question I had......because I'm just starting out with Sups but have a background in kayaking and regular surfing:  How come suppers never took to a double blade paddle, like a kayak paddle?  Too long?  It'd be much more efficient.  i'm gonna try my sea kayak paddle (long one) on my Sup and see what happens.

IMO.. Too long.. Too heavy.. and less efficient.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2014, 01:50:10 PM »
In any case, there are so many ways to get exercise, and so many elegant (in a design/engineering sense) ways of moving forward, and what they have in common is they've evolved to be efficient whether there's gear involved or not--swim strokes, running, bikes, kayaks, SUPs, skateboards, snowboards--so why resort to weird contraptions or methods that aren't as efficient or as fun as the things that already work so well?  If the Pele Board was faster, more maneuverable and/or simpler than a standup board, I'd respect it more.  But it reminds me of someone going for a run while doing dumbbell curls.

Evolution requires wackiness. A gene mutation, an idea, or bustin a new move. There must be a market for this idea as there is for every idea. I gather the market probably isn't here.
You're right, and even the best new ideas can start out by being ridiculed.  And weird ideas that don't pan out can still lead to great advances in some completely different direction.  In this case, though, it's not just the invention that I think is off, it's his whole premise that standup paddling is a poor workout for the legs.  So to me, he's solving a problem that the sport doesn't have.  Certainly some individuals might want to increase the amount their legs are working relative to their arms or core, but they can do it much more simply by getting a tippier board (or just a smaller fin) or alter their technique. In fact, most peopel would probably say that as their skill progress, they naturally find themselves able to use their legs more and more.  This invention seems like a very expensive, complicated replacement for those simpler strategies--something that a beginner could be suckered into buying before he or she finds out that the whole "poor leg workout" premise is wrong. 

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2014, 05:26:04 PM »
In this case, though, it's not just the invention that I think is off, it's his whole premise that standup paddling is a poor workout for the legs.  So to me, he's solving a problem that the sport doesn't have.  Certainly some individuals might want to increase the amount their legs are working relative to their arms or core, but they can do it much more simply by getting a tippier board (or just a smaller fin) or alter their technique. In fact, most peopel would probably say that as their skill progress, they naturally find themselves able to use their legs more and more.  This invention seems like a very expensive, complicated replacement for those simpler strategies--something that a beginner could be suckered into buying before he or she finds out that the whole "poor leg workout" premise is wrong.
We will see them on craigslist soon enough, along with ab crunchers and bowflexes and thighmasters. I still kindof want one, just like I wanted aquawalkers (too young then) and a big wheel (too old then). I'm a bit of a fan of improbable and useless stuff. Who thought snowboarding would be a thing? I thought those little bikes with skiis on the bottom would be a thing. Didn't invest in either, so I'm even.

This machine will let armless people use paddleboards - there is a real market after all. Or people who's hands are otherwise busy: Photographers, orchestra conductors, folks who talk with their hands, computer programmers, poker players, surgeons.

I think if I got one, I would uncouple the halves, and be the first person to do telemark turns on a wave. Telly till ja jelly!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2014, 06:00:47 PM »
Not really. Mr. Patterson was there first:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjVXFrITVO8
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2014, 11:17:18 PM »
Cool, but not telemark. Tele might be a better setup for wave skiing. Chuck (cuz were on first name basis here) and the others suggested by google might look less awkward if they dropped a knee while on the wave.

Of course, I don't surf boards or skiis, and I'm an intermediate snow skier at best, but one can dream up stuff and have others do the actual.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2014, 07:30:32 AM »
Geez. Shuda kept my asym race board with the hard-shell boots and plate bindings. But that nearly killed me. No towins on the slopes, baby!

Seriously, great vid PB - CP is CRAZY in a very cool way!!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2014, 11:18:14 AM »
In a sense, that's been done before.  Here is the Duke on an Australian surf ski (very unlike today's version) which even though it was designed for the sitting position, a lot of people chose to stand on them.  Whether or not this is in any way led to modern SUP is up for debate and a whole separate discussion.    DavidJohn just gave a good description of why we don’t use double bladed paddles. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPnM4ymNj3o

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2014, 01:10:09 PM »
As to the OP, I say how about no. 
About as practical as this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w7sVSMbjyM

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2014, 01:45:49 PM »
If you made one of those split boards the right dimensions, you could enter a race and alternate from 12-6 to 14 classes with every stroke.  Then close it up to 12-6 at the finish.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2015, 06:12:32 PM »

IMO.. Too long.. Too heavy.. and less efficient.

I know you are not a fan of the double double blade but that was the prominent paddle back in the day in Australia.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2015, 08:33:57 PM »
Did anybody else notice that the Pele Board looks very suspiciously like a Costco Wavestorm cut in half?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal