Author Topic: Bizarre SUP “Kickstarter” - Pele Boards  (Read 12259 times)

levity

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Bizarre SUP “Kickstarter” - Pele Boards
« on: December 18, 2014, 08:34:08 PM »
Not all evolutionary changes are for the better.  Think this species will survive, or is it just wrong in so many ways?  (the first sentence of the article is clearly wrong)

PeleBoard takes a stride toward leg-powered paddleboarding  (www.gizmag.com/peleboard-leg-powered-paddleboard/35291)
By Ben Coxworth, December 18, 2014

Paddlesports are a great workout for the upper body, but as far as the legs go – not so much. In the case of sit-down watercraft like kayaks, that situation can be addressed by adding pedals. For stand-up paddleboards, however ... well, it's hard to picture how pedals could be integrated. That's why the designers of the PeleBoard have taken their own approach to leg-powered paddleboarding, with a carbon fiber board that's split lengthwise down the middle.

The two halves of the board are joined together via a sliding rail with stainless steel bearings. Additionally, on the underside of both halves are scute-style flaps.  The idea is that as the user strides forward, that side of the board slides with them, the water pressure causing its flaps to fold up flat against the board. Once it's the other side's turn to move forward, however, the flaps on the first side are back down again, allowing it to stay in place by catching the water.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Bizarre SUP “Kickstarter” - Pele Boards
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 09:10:41 PM »
Yet another invention by someone who has no idea what SUP is about. Pretty soon they'll solve that pesky downwind problem too. No one wants to go downwind--there needs to be an easier way to do that.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 09:42:36 PM »
I'll have to tell that to my legs.  When I've done long paddles or races, they're the first to go--way before my arms.

I haven't seen the kayaks with peddles taking over that sport, either.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 01:51:59 AM »
And I don't have weak legs, either.  In fact, my doctor told me I had legs like an Olympic athlete.  Or wait, actually he said athlete's foot.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 06:44:49 AM »
Looky here - a standamaran with a hinge and sliders. Looks like a nordic track gizmotron gone seriously wrong!
Is there a yoga version as well!

And the pickle thread lives on..

Good morning everybody!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

LB Surper

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 06:50:36 AM »
Love the fist bump at the end.
NSP DC 14'
Naish Hokua 9'6"
Mistral Diamond Head 8'6"
Naish Glide 14"

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 08:52:29 AM »
..my doctor told me I had legs like an Olympic athlete.
And an adam's apple like Bruce Jenner's.. 

But that's fodder for a separate thread.  Let's stay on topic here!!
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 09:00:15 AM »
Seems like a water-based version of this.  We are seeing these all over Newport these days.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 09:04:49 AM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 09:06:32 AM »
The guy in that picture is actually me.  I decided not to buy that one and rather hold out for Kirk to come up with a SIMS-influenced version.  Shave off a couple of feet and add a displacement hull, and that thing will rip!
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 10:41:03 AM »
...because our sport doesn't look inelegant enough.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 11:12:43 AM »
Additionally, on the underside of both halves are scute-style flaps.  The idea is that as the user strides forward, that side of the board slides with them, the water pressure causing its flaps to fold up flat against the board. Once it's the other side's turn to move forward, however, the flaps on the first side are back down again, allowing it to stay in place by catching the water.
So in theory you don't really need the paddle to create forward motion
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 11:17:58 AM »
In the 70s I had a pair of "Aquawalkers"--styrofoam blocks like thick skis about 5' long.  They had plastic flaps that were meant to do what they described for this board--fold flat against board when gliding forward, dropping down when you pushed back.  The flaps didn't work at all.  All my propulsion was from a pair of raft paddles I used like ski poles.  If you think about it, they shouldn't work well, since they need water moving against them (from the back) to drop down, so you'd have to actually have to have the board slipping backwards before they dropped down enough to make a catch--unless they were so heavy they'd drop down by gravity alone.  It makes me think the designer may have been thinking that paddles work by being pulled backwards through the water, vs. catching the water and remaining in place as the board gets pulled past them.

In any case, there are so many ways to get exercise, and so many elegant (in a design/engineering sense) ways of moving forward, and what they have in common is they've evolved to be efficient whether there's gear involved or not--swim strokes, running, bikes, kayaks, SUPs, skateboards, snowboards--so why resort to weird contraptions or methods that aren't as efficient or as fun as the things that already work so well?  If the Pele Board was faster, more maneuverable and/or simpler than a standup board, I'd respect it more.  But it reminds me of someone going for a run while doing dumbbell curls.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 11:24:38 AM by pdxmike »

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 11:52:27 AM »
Paddlesports are a great workout for the upper body, but as far as the legs go – not so much.

Isn't it great when people who have clearly NEVER done something write about it as though they're an authority?
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 12:26:29 PM »
Doesn't it seem like the people demonstrating the device are awkward on it?
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2014, 07:41:45 AM »
The Ellipt-go looks pretty ingenius -- since cycling of course does not work the leg muscles.  Problem solved!

Now if someone would invent an Elliptgo trailer that I can use to tow my Peleboard (and downwind paddlesail) to the water, life would just about perfect.   8)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 07:44:37 AM by spookini »
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal