Author Topic: 27 knot Downwinder Vid - yesterday  (Read 3872 times)

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
27 knot Downwinder Vid - yesterday
« on: December 17, 2014, 05:34:42 PM »
Happy Holidays to all Zoners and especially those who downwind!

This was yesterday on the Port Shelter Express - Outside Run, Hong Kong. Northerly Winter Monsoon wind, 27 knots / 31 mph / 50kph and clear skies. Couldn't be more perfect. Vid starts off slowly, showing paddle out and builds up to a fall at the end.. Boards are SIC Bullet 17-4, SIC F16v3 and SIC Bullet 14 TWC. We think this run would be awesome for the Starboard Ace 14' or Naish Glide 14'...

http://youtu.be/_7CbL1KYN4s
This is GoPro3 - Chestmount - Wobbly
Thanks to DJ for his editing tips - I'm getting there..
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 06:30:54 PM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 27 knot Downwinder Vid - yesterday
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 06:13:09 PM »
So those of us who don't downwind are not allowed to have a happy holiday?  Hrmph, the nerve of some people. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 06:33:42 PM »
So those of us who don't downwind are not allowed to have a happy holiday?  Hrmph, the nerve of some people.

Zooport... my bad... luckily I was able to correct this thoughtless act  ;)
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 07:16:38 PM »
LOL!  You know I was just messing with you.  Cool vid, by the way.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 06:17:43 AM »
Cool vid!
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 07:01:01 AM »
Very nice video. I like the comments at the start to indicate what's going on. You had some nicely groomed bumps there. So in those conditions, which of the SIC boards work best?

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 08:59:37 AM »
Very nice vid Off-Shore - the chest mount gave a nice perspective of the 17 easing up and over - and through the bumps.  Could almost feel the glide as you were approaching the backs.  The beauty of vids.  :)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 05:19:55 PM »
Very nice vid Off-Shore - the chest mount gave a nice perspective of the 17 easing up and over - and through the bumps.  Could almost feel the glide as you were approaching the backs.  The beauty of vids.  :)

Thanks Eagle. I also think the chestmount gives a good perspective, though I need to figure out how to reduce the vibrations.. And that 17, when it goes, just pushes through and over. It is just the most awesome feeling. Majestic in fact. The New Bullet 17v3 that is being talked about with the pointier nose will have an even better ability to push through

Very nice video. I like the comments at the start to indicate what's going on. You had some nicely groomed bumps there. So in those conditions, which of the SIC boards work best?

Thanks Argosi. Personally I think the F16 is the best board for these conditions, and it being lighter than the Bullet 17, I find easier to get into the bumps and move around them. However when the Bullet 17 gets going it maintains the glide and pushes through better.. it has that "charging feeling" which the F16 does not.

The Bullet 14 we have is the TWC (heavy version) and is fun, but you need a lot of more work to catch and stay on the glide. If you watch my buddy paddling in front of me you'll see a lot of paddle strokes, and he is one of our best paddlers here.. it is a little frustrating compared to the other 2 boards, but still lots of fun

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 02:14:25 PM »
Much better vid.. Thanks for that..  :)

The problem with the chest mount is when you bend forward when on a runner it looks like you are looking down at your board which is something you should not do.

And.. I don't mean to be rude.. But.. Getting way back on the board and still being in parallel stance has kook written all over it.. You need to work on having one foot in front of the other right on the centreline of the board in a true surf stance.. It's a very hard thing to do at first and takes lots of practice ( even while paddling flat water is good practice ) and doing this while on a runner gives you soooo much more controle.. It alows you to move much better.. and give you much greater stability.. and it alows you to move without rocking the board.. I've been working on it for a while now and I'm almost there.. I'm often nagging friends about it because I feel it's so important.. Watch any vid of the good DW guys like JR and you will see them doing it..

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 03:53:07 PM »
I love your SIC16, it makes me think of Wonder Bread every time I see it. From the looks of it, you've also got some damn fine water quality in HK. The momentary dunk made for good footage IMHO. ;) Great video, thanks for sharing.
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 08:22:25 PM »
Much better vid.. Thanks for that..  :)

The problem with the chest mount is when you bend forward when on a runner it looks like you are looking down at your board which is something you should not do.

And.. I don't mean to be rude.. But.. Getting way back on the board and still being in parallel stance has kook written all over it.. You need to work on having one foot in front of the other right on the centreline of the board in a true surf stance.. It's a very hard thing to do at first and takes lots of practice ( even while paddling flat water is good practice ) and doing this while on a runner gives you soooo much more controle.. It alows you to move much better.. and give you much greater stability.. and it alows you to move without rocking the board.. I've been working on it for a while now and I'm almost there.. I'm often nagging friends about it because I feel it's so important.. Watch any vid of the good DW guys like JR and you will see them doing it..

Thanks DJ. I appreciate the direct words and I am completely with you on the kook look stance issues. I was lucky enough to spend time with JR in Maui and he gave me a bunch of surf stance exercises for the SIC which I can do most of the time, but what happens with the chest mount is it ends up pointing sideways so I'm going to have to work on this another way. As I am on the glide with the chest mount GoPro I'm consciously trying to stay facing forward = kook foot stance. I'm going to get a headmount and see how that works. Thanks again. Any advice that is going to make me a better paddler is much appreciated.:)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 08:26:53 PM by Off-Shore »

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2014, 06:11:41 AM »
I love your SIC16, it makes me think of Wonder Bread every time I see it.

SeaMe. Haha ;D That is hilarious. Maybe the guy who did paint job lost the picture I sent to base the design and colors on (a pic of a windsurfing wave board I had made in the 80s) and all he had was a Wonder Bread wrapper to go on. Either that or he was subconsciously channeling Wonder Bread. Certainly looks like it! We don't get Wonder Bread in HK so I'd no idea.

We are blessed with awesome waters here, and most of all, can paddle all the year round comfortably. Very lucky.

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM