Author Topic: Going Totally SUP  (Read 7238 times)

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
Going Totally SUP
« on: December 17, 2014, 08:58:00 AM »
One of the things I really like about paddle boarding is how it accommodates a huge range of ability. I've become a pretty good paddler over the years — nothing amazing, but I hold my own. Unfortunately my eyes are gradually getting worse. My glasses are obscenely thick, and my ophthalmologist is about to put me on glaucoma medicine. I've had retinal holes for years and am at a good risk for retinal detachment. If you met me on the water wearing contacts you wouldn't notice much except for my slightly dreamy gaze. However, if a contact gets knocked out of my eye, that's a problem. It's a much worse problem in a two-foot swell after getting catapulted and face-planting onto my sail.

Nothing I can do about that, but it's time to sell my last windsurfer. I'm pretty sad about this but it's time to accept reality and say goodbye to my trusty Kona longboard and quiver of sails.

The good part is that I'll probably always be able to SUP. I won't won't be going into crazy conditions, but that's okay too. I can paddle as much as I want. I'm teaching my kids too, so they'll be my companions soon on my adventures. So I'm grateful for this sport, which I'll be able to do as long as I can hold a paddle and see a tiny bit. Hopefully that should be the rest of my life.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Going Totally SUP
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 10:21:42 AM »
In time every surfer will be a SUP surfer. They just don't know it yet.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 10:48:49 AM »
Curious aside, Spoonbill.  Do you lose contacts much on the water?

I'm trying to acclimate to them.  I just started wearing glasses a couple years ago (standard mid 40s).  I can paddle without them but seeing things a bit more clearly is preferable.  After losing one pair of prescriptions in the water (they actually had a strap, but that popped off), I decided to work on something else.  Doc suggested disposable contacts and then I can wear regular sunglasses over them if need be.  Been doing that, but every so often I'll lose a lens.  I'm not even in the water or splashing around.  Seems to happen with sunglasses on or without.  Is possible the wind is doing this?  Can't recall it being particularly strong.

Curious if you've had it happen.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 11:15:00 AM »
I've worn contacts in water sports for years and only rarely have one pop out.  You might try a few different brands, because there are a lot of differences between them.  I use Focus Dailies and really like them. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 11:18:17 AM »
Lost contact = ready made excuse for when you drop in on people:

"Sorry Brah..  Didn't even see ya!"  ;)
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

HJR

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 11:35:54 AM »
Hi Ichabod,
really sorry to hear about your eye problems, maybe this might help, I'm very short sighted and have worn hard gas permeable lenses for the last 20 years, maybe I've been lucky or adapted to surfing, and kitesurfing falls crashes, as in, I don't open my eyes until I surface, but I've never lost a lenses. I know this hinders me in big surf but if things got really rough I'd just have to open my eyes, and maybe lose a lenses
If you could stick with it, and practice, you might lose a few soft lenses , or hard lenses ,  but I could work out for you.
best of luck.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 12:03:00 PM »
That sucks. I had great luck with Lasik, and that's probably something you've looked at and rejected or are not a candidate for. But some of the surgery to relieve Glaucoma pressure is compatible with Lasik or Lasek. Another option is ICL which is even more glaucoma-compatible and might stave off your symptoms longer.

I read a paper a year or so ago about retinal welding during a lasik-like procedure which flaps open the cornea as in a Lasik procedure. The benefit is far better targeting of the laser than is possible when passing through the crystalline lens. Most of the leading edge stuff aims at eliminating corrective lenses. You might be reticent about experimenting with your vision, but it seem like you're on a bad path that might possibly be improved.

My eyesight was steadily declining prior to Lasik because of the typical muscle deterioration of high-correction glasses. I wore contacts of all types, but they're always a hassle. Tried them all, gas permeable, extended wear, disposable, blah, blah. Tried astigmatic correction (sucks) and corneal reshaping lenses (painful). They all do corneal damage as well and I needed cheaters to read--increasingly strong ones. My glasses were getting thicker every year with more bifocal/trifocal hassle with every perscription--expensive glasses too, and expensive contacts.

Post Lasik I have 20-20 vision and don't need glasses to read print sizes at eight points in decent light. I had the Lasik at least ten years ago, maybe fifteen. Still great.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Glowmaster

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 03:12:01 PM »
sorry to lose another windsurfer.  I don't want to be the last one standing!

keep paddling.

I am saving up for Lasik myself.  Thanks for the long term data Pono!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 05:36:38 PM »
Sorry to hear of the problems. Getting old really sucks.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

surfk9

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 05:44:55 PM »
At the ripe old age of 67 I find that better than the alternative.  Getting older is just a different way of doing things!

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 06:09:46 PM »
Unfortunately, my eyes are too far gone for LASIK. I wish I could get it. It's funny, I don't like to think about the vision thing too much, but it's dominated my life quite a bit. It's one of the reasons, I'm sure, that I don't like going fast.

HJR, my experience is with disposable soft lenses. When I got an impact, the lens wouldn't leave my eye but instead get knocked into the space between my eye and the socket. I've never had one go into the drink, but losing them to the nether reaches of my skull is pretty uncomfortable. Plus I'm half blind by then. This meant I had to dig the lens out while propped on my board in the chop or heading back to my launch point.

supthecreek

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 06:25:30 PM »
Ichabod... the passing of sport is always difficult, such a big part of your identity is attached to it. I am glad you have SUP to fill the hole, it's a great place to age.

I have worn contact lenses in all manner of surf since the early 80's. I have never lost a lens while surfing. I am very good about closing my eyes tightly as I wipeout and clear the water off my face with my hands before opening my eyes.... excess water running down your face can flush a contact out. Saltwater is really easy, since it's your eyes natural lubricant... fresh water is much harder on contacts.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 06:48:01 PM »
Check into ICL, I'm sure your doctor is looking at every option, but you never know.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 07:48:57 PM »
PBill, I'll look into it. Thanks.

BigSlaveDave

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 08:00:08 PM »
Lost contact = ready made excuse for when you drop in on people:

"Sorry Brah..  Didn't even see ya!"  ;)

Hey, that's my trick....haha.  I've learned to work the old guy thing.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal