Stand Up Paddle > SUP Advocacy

Paddleboarder Missing

(1/8) > >>

PT Woody:
Fingers crossed that this turns out well but the story does point toward the conclusion that the law is an ass - a 19 year old is missing at sea after he was last seen falling off his paddleboard, which was later recovered washed ashore along with his life jacket. So it would seem his life jacket was attached to the board and he didn't have a leg rope. All perfectly legal, but entirely useless as these events appear to have unfolded. The law needs to recognise that a life jacket is pointless when it floats away attached to a board, and that a mandatory leg rope would be far more effective.

http://supconnect.com/news/sup-other/search-for-missing-paddleboarder-underway

stoneaxe:
Not good...

"The man was paddling with his girlfriend who went to get help after she saw him fall off of his board.".....she paddled away? The law is definitely dumb but there has to be more to this, couldn't swim, hit his head, something? I'd only expect someone to paddle away if they lost sight of someone, had searched at least a little, and THEN gone for help.

Eagle:
The reporter in the video link noted the girlfriend "could not help him get back on".  May have been an impact or health issue as normally you would put the life jacket on before going for help.  Very unfortunate - leashes and cellphones always - as well as a waistpack PFD in calm conditions or a full PFD in rough windy cold conditions.

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/27633373/search-for-paddle-boarder-underway-off-sanibel#.VI-XK96iUdt

pdxmike:

--- Quote from: PT Woody on December 15, 2014, 06:01:44 PM --- The law needs to recognise that a life jacket is pointless when it floats away attached to a board, and that a mandatory leg rope would be far more effective.

--- End quote ---
Totally agree.  Even if he died instantly from a heart attack, etc.  a leash would prevent the cost and heartache of a search for a body.

My guess is even if the law changes, there will be a dozen or dozens more deaths first.

PonoBill:
People unused to dealing with emergencies do all kinds of screwy things. I could go on for pages about the nutty responses and actions I've seen. Panic is not a helpful condition.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version