Author Topic: Who is getting one of these?  (Read 7271 times)

jumpfrom13k

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Who is getting one of these?
« on: December 15, 2014, 02:34:40 PM »
Probably completely useless, but I kinda want it.

Who is getting one for X-mas?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgnTsf_z0G0

EatCrow

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Who is getting one of these?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 01:58:33 PM »
You talking about Alana or the watch?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 07:19:40 PM »
I tried to get some information on the watch, like what chipset, Doppler or not, etc. and there's nothing available but hype for non-geek users. There's no way to evaluate the usefulness of the watch. So I'll pass.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 09:18:24 PM »
Every review I've read is that this is a little early. I'm waiting for version 2.0 or later. Super fun idea though and once you can match it to a gopro things will really open up. I might actually look at my gopro footage.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 10:10:19 PM »
Smartphone video and photos connect to GPS--a feature that is largely unused. I've stopped using GoPro on my racecar and use my iPhone just behind the windscreen along with an app called TrackAddict that integrates video, GPS position around the track, and the accelerometers in the phone to show braking points, speed at any point, acceleration out of corners, etc. A functional integration of data capture and video. But that's about the only app I've seen that does all that, except for drone control apps like APM, mission planner, Droid Planner or Andropilot.

The tech is available. Tanned tested and ready. It's coming, but it's going to take time to get the right feature set. For example, video camera built into sunglasses (Pivothead) only connected to GPS and accelerometer. Make the whole thing waterproof and we're good to go. Only problem is that video taken with sunglasses tracks your head movements and that's not great.

Move the video from between your eyes to the top of your head with a 360 camera (Giroptic) but add GPS and accelerometer. Maybe a magnetometer too so it knows which direction you're facing. Now you can shoot everything around you and choose what to show, or let the viewer choose which direction they want to see. Do it all with tracking to show a moving map as you view, with an indication of what direction you're looking in on the map.

The future is here, it's just unevenly distributed.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 10:13:29 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 10:28:41 PM »
I was considering getting this watch. I currently have the Garmin 910xt and a Nixon Lodown tide watches. When I paddle I wear the Garmin, when I surf I wear the Nixon. I thought this Rip Curl watch could be the best of both worlds but it really seems too surf specific although the GPS can log your paddles and other activities as well. But they are mere workarounds or afterthoughts.

From what I've been researching, the Garmin ecosystem might be the best bet, specifically the Fenix2 and new 920xt. With the new app based system and SDK, these watches can be enhanced to include tide tables and more surf specific functions or any other app you could think of. The Fenix2 is more appealing to me because it also has a better barometer and additional alpine skiing functions built in. You can count number of runs, total vertical skied, speed, etc. So with the SDK some developer out there should be able to match the Rip Curl watch surf specific functions.

These are also smart watches so they'll pair up via Bluetooth to your smartphone and you can read texts, email, notifications on the watch.

They function as Activity Monitors as well like Fitbits or FuelBand.

They have GPS Live Tracking which is great if you're going out on the ocean to paddle.

As a bonus, you can control the Garmin VIRB GPS cameras with the watches.

There's also the Garmin Connect cloud based service which is pretty useful in tracking and sharing your activities

Still too early to tell how well baked these functions are but for the same price as the Rip Curl watch, the Garmin blows it away. I think Garmin is on the right track.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 05:36:22 AM »
PB--i want to get a drone as a present for my tech-partner--it's perhaps the only tech toy he's not been an early adopter of--his garage is like a tech museum!

you mentioned parrot as the best small-scale consumer device--any comments on which models etc?
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 07:04:14 AM »
Time marches on. If you're willing to spend the bucks, the current best toy is 3DR's Iris+. It's actually somewhat of a bargain though the system will set you back about $750 for the basics and he'll need a cheap android tablet or smartphone--about $120--that has an active micro USB port. There are a few that only use the USB port for charging. I bought a Samsung that didn't work, and then an Asus that did. Some Samsungs work, it's a matter of how the USB on the go is implemented. Confusing, sorry, but the Asus I got is $120 bucks, so not too painful.

Detailed review here. I doubt you can get it before Christmas though. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2046042

If you're looking for simple, then the DJI Phantom is the way to go. The Iris+ is capable of fully autonomous flight.

KiwiSupGreg

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 10:48:04 AM »
I think my wife might have got me the rip curl watch. I'm watchless at the moment and I'm always checking my phone for tides etc. and I use my phone GPS  for paddle or other workouts

So I think she's put things together...but it's just a hunch of mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 01:15:11 PM »
big thx PB--i will let you know what ive done--fwiw weve got various android/asus devices.
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 01:55:18 PM »
PB--i got him the Iris+--very cool looking device--strangely, at least to me, he will enjoy the programming tweakery--and for someone with patience and knowledge this thing is extremely cool, does amazing things--i cant wait til he gets it wired, and then shows me how to play with it.

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 02:30:01 PM »
PB--i got him the Iris+--very cool looking device--strangely, at least to me, he will enjoy the programming tweakery--and for someone with patience and knowledge this thing is extremely cool, does amazing things--i cant wait til he gets it wired, and then shows me how to play with it.

Is that the one that will follow you and take vid?
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 04:43:18 AM »
yep, and it can be programmed to fly on pre-defined track, or based on responsive if/then algorithms.

i bought it after cursory review confirmed PB's comments--best reasonably priced device--and, for a geek, all sorts of potential for fun.

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 04:45:22 AM »
i still get a giggle recalling the video of rock incoming thrown by surfer.

i had one near me in the water last summer--heard a strange buzzing and there it was

no anger tho--the rock thrower seemed to be having a bad day!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2014, 07:00:26 AM »
Just ordered one for Christmas and I will provide a full Zoner report as soon I get it all figured out.

I bought mine thru REI and they told me if the watch does not perform how I expect I can return it for a full refund for up to a year.
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal