Author Topic: Winter Storm Damon  (Read 6339 times)

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
Winter Storm Damon
« on: December 11, 2014, 09:33:12 AM »
I like having winter storms named. Helps remember them. And this one will def be remembered for a LOOONG time. NJ was epic! Challenged it on longboard on 12/9 and SUP on 12/10 w/much success both days. I was def one of the oldest dudes charging. There were over 30 shortboarders out at a popular break on 12/11 and I managed a session w/minimal hassle. Let's see your pics East Coasters!  8)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 09:34:57 AM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Winter Storm Damon
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 10:10:53 AM »
Nice stuff going on there!  I think most of our sessions go undocumented.

Out of 40yrs of surfing I've been photographed 4 times. You're lucky with your photog crew.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 10:20:17 AM »
If I'm not mistaken SC's photog crew consists mainly a Soloshot 2.   But in any event, nice work as always!

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 10:41:54 AM »
Sweet and sour with so much flooding and destruction along the coast.  Been watching the national news and NJ is the first story.

Looks clean though.  We had three  days of perfect conditions which is rare here but a N storm rolled in overnight and now it's onshore and rainy.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 11:33:47 AM »
The storms waves arriving here, with onshores  :-[

They were able to hold the big wave tour contest at punta galea by Bilbao.

Winning wave for SC's Nic Lamb snatching it from leader Makua Rothman grabbing a left at a right point break!

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 12:01:13 PM »
nice photos surfer cook, looks like it cleaned up a bit... what part of NJ?  I grew up in Ocean City friends there say it's been pretty epic too.

back in southern Maine now where it is still too big, sloppy, unorganized to even think about paddling out.  Hopefully tomorrow it will clean up.
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 12:39:34 PM »
Out of 40yrs of surfing I've been photographed 4 times. You're lucky with your photog crew.
I am really lucky there's a strong contingent of shooters around. And sometimes I just bring my cam up there and ask random people to shoot. Easier in the warm weather to do that though.
If I'm not mistaken SC's photog crew consists mainly a Soloshot 2.   But in any event, nice work as always!
lol, Bean! These fotos were taken by actual human beings holding DSLs. I passed on the SS2 this swell. Focused on the task at hand and that was challenging these powerful winter swells. It was NO JOKE out there.
Sweet and sour with so much flooding and destruction along the coast. 
True, it was a bad storm because it moved slowly as it intensified. Also was really close. Almost like a hurricane this one. The flooding and beach erosion were def bad, that's why I included those subjects in my pictures.
what part of NJ?  I grew up in Ocean City.back in southern Maine now where it is still too big, sloppy, unorganized to even think about paddling out.  Hopefully tomorrow it will clean up.
Long Beach Island is my local. Haven't hit Ocean City in yrs, did catch good a coupla times back then though. Maine? Good hunting, Carib.
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 01:30:14 PM »
I used to head up to Sea Bright , Long Branch for hurricane surf back in the day.  Always loved those perfect north Jersey beach breaks.

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

supthecreek

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 05:59:16 PM »
Charging it for a cook ;D

Aaahh, the winter wave wonder... howling wind, harsh conditions, ripping waves. That left looks really nice... not a sandbar closeout... sweet!

The first pic is a jammer!!!!

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 06:10:42 PM »
No Sups or windsurfers out,  just surfers.   It was head high to double plus.   I would have tried to windsurf on Tuesday,  but had to work in the AM and then at night.  That left me a short time to dogleg between job sites and shoot a few.  20 minute window without downpour .   taken in South County RI.   Guy in first shot got creamed just after the photo.
JP

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2014, 06:43:48 PM »
Charging it for a cook ;D That left looks really nice... not a sandbar closeout! The first pic is a jammer!!!!
lol, we cooks can surf! Alot of dudes cook here for a living. Lotta restaurants here. And AC is also an option for cooks, but it's really bad down there now w/a the closures. Yea, lefts are the norm here on LBI in winter w/the Nor-easters. I think I prob surf better backside at this point. The angle was really good on this swell. When there's too much east in the swell it closes out alot more. I remember that longboard wave, thing was def NICE! I actually have three different sequences of it from three different guys that were shooting!
taken in South County RI.   Guy in first shot got creamed just after the photo.
Had to Google South Cnty. Had a feeling it was near Judith. LOVE hitting that point! You can def tell that dude is gonna get steamrolled.
http://youtu.be/00pK8t7kCX8?list=UULhyIKBLFiXMBcrCDK63ZGw

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 04:34:36 AM »
Cook,  same beach as the 2nd half of your "trippin" video.   I might have been there that day.   Or maybe down the road a few miles.

JP

supthecreek

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2014, 08:02:18 AM »
we are on day 3 here on Cape Cod
yesterday about 10 guys went out in 40 miles of beach....

2 broken boards yesterday... 1 today already

took this of Matt Rivers from the " Pump House".... normally he SUP's but SB at low tide today

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2014, 01:05:02 PM »
This storm just keeps giving. Thanks to all for your pics.

I looked at it for quite a while this am but couldn't talk anyone into a go. Too much to go alone. The shorebreak in foreground is well overhead.

Maybe this weekend it will clean up.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2014, 02:26:02 PM »
WOW! Nice surf, Creek. You hit it? I got out today here in NJ. It was pretty small but felt good to get a couple. Like waist high.

surfinJ. That's def looking gnar! SW France? I'd like to get some of that one day!

lol, someone did a video of the spot I was at on 12/10. There are about 342 shortboarders in it. Also one realllllly loooong ride of a longboarder (well, long for this beachbreak).  And one of me! Dude editing showing the sup love!

For some reason the "Share" links on YT are failing to embed it seems. Like my third vid post w/out embedding.
http://youtu.be/yXazfxHjzqw?t=2m36s

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal