Author Topic: Ok, an Allwave or a Widepoint?  (Read 13307 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ok, an Allwave or a Widepoint?
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2014, 02:24:51 PM »
>>>Width is good for stability, but you don't want it in the tail<<<

I don't agree with (part of) that statement.

Tail width does help with stability. Wide tail boards with quad or five fin setups ride differently than narrow tailed boards.  How you feel about that is a matter of preference.

Agree, my wide tail, 7'11 must be ridden differently to get it to turn.  You need a foot on the rail, right at the stomp pad to get it to turn well.  But it turns pretty good if you do.  A narrower tail is less stable, but easier to sink a rail and turn.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

BigSlaveDave

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2014, 03:14:16 PM »
Seriously, support your Local Shop.
Really hard for the Little Guys to make it .

You already have a rapport with them, they should work with you.
Take the Nose Rider in on a swap/trade.
Loyalty will get you farther in the long run...

Build your local Crew....

Yeah, i agree with this, but I'm torn between supporting the locs and getting what I want.

These guys are pretty good--at least everyone always says that about them.  I think the reason I got the wrong board initially is partly (or mostly) my own fault.  I didn't really do my homework--or actually, in true surfer style, I didn't do any homework at all.  I just went in there and said, "Hey, I'm a surfer, give me one of those SUP things."  In so many words.  Honestly, I have to admit some arrogance here: I thought Surf SUPPing would be way easier than it was.  I was like, "hey, you just stand on the thing and paddle it, right?"  Again, in so many words.

breakbad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2014, 09:32:26 PM »
There is the SB Hero as well, 149L 9x33, shorter, but wider. Really loose when you step on the tail, however because its so wide you loose speed, not a big wave board obviously. Ridiculously stable, I get 2-3 hr sessions in fair/chop before I quit. Its what I am learning on at 180lbs, but already looking to go a step or two narrower.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2014, 01:51:45 PM »
Seriously, support your Local Shop.
Really hard for the Little Guys to make it .

You already have a rapport with them, they should work with you.
Take the Nose Rider in on a swap/trade.
Loyalty will get you farther in the long run...

Build your local Crew....

Yeah, i agree with this, but I'm torn between supporting the locs and getting what I want.

Get what you want.  That's #1.  The good news is that all are great boards and you will not be sorry with any you choose.  I've ticked off some local dealers, not intentionally, by demoing their boards then finding a better deal and going with someone else.  I'm sorry to do that, but, in the end, you have got to do what is best for you.

Are you in SoCal by any chance?  If so, you can try my AllWave.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 01:56:57 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

BigSlaveDave

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2014, 10:08:47 AM »

Thanks Zoo. Unfortunately not (at least for this stuff). I'm up here in Mendocino, which is why I'm asking these questions.  There are a few SUP surfers up here, but they're, well, few.  I've not actually seen an Allwave or Wide Point.  When I showed up with my Starboard, most guys were, like, huh?

I've got to drive down to the Bay Area to see what's going on--about 4 hours.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2014, 05:05:51 AM »
i have loved my widepoint--but may be blissfully ignorant, which is fine--wish i'd paid up for the carbon
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SUPalon

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2014, 11:20:52 PM »
BSD, 4hrs from you in the bay area is 101surf sports in san rafael, they have a lot of selection on the floor and a big demo fleet of HQ surf SUPs, they're on the water (not on the surf) so you can try paddling in front.  Or take it to Demo in the surf, super knowledgeable, friendly staff that take pride in steering new comers towards the right board. One of their part time employees actually lives in Mendo (carpool!..;), and drives down on weekends to work there part time and participate in local races and event, don't ask me why or how he does it, but apparently he does. his name is John Walsh. he'll be a good resource for you to connect with, a true working class hero and bad ass sup racer and surfer and great guy. google 101surf sports and look John Walsh on FB, you can tell him and the guys at the shop that  Alon sent you..;)
A highly worthwhile and not too far of road trip, you'll be stoked!

Good luck,

A

jeffrey11

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2014, 08:03:55 AM »
I recently bought the 8'10 widepoint in carbon and am really happy with it.  I demo'd a number of boards (although not the Allwave) and feel like I made a good choice.  I'm just having so much fun on that board.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2014, 11:12:30 AM »

Thanks Zoo. Unfortunately not (at least for this stuff). I'm up here in Mendocino, which is why I'm asking these questions.  There are a few SUP surfers up here, but they're, well, few.  I've not actually seen an Allwave or Wide Point.  When I showed up with my Starboard, most guys were, like, huh?

I've got to drive down to the Bay Area to see what's going on--about 4 hours.

Yes, a little far to drive for a demo.  ;)  The good news is that you will probably love either board.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

BigSlaveDave

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2014, 04:09:51 PM »
BSD, 4hrs from you in the bay area is 101surf sports in san rafael, they have a lot of selection on the floor and a big demo fleet of HQ surf SUPs, they're on the water (not on the surf) so you can try paddling in front.  Or take it to Demo in the surf, super knowledgeable, friendly staff that take pride in steering new comers towards the right board. One of their part time employees actually lives in Mendo (carpool!..;), and drives down on weekends to work there part time and participate in local races and event, don't ask me why or how he does it, but apparently he does. his name is John Walsh. he'll be a good resource for you to connect with, a true working class hero and bad ass sup racer and surfer and great guy. google 101surf sports and look John Walsh on FB, you can tell him and the guys at the shop that  Alon sent you..;)
A highly worthwhile and not too far of road trip, you'll be stoked!

Good luck,

A

Thanks Alon, Yeah, John's a friend of mine and 101 Surf Sports is where I bought my SB Nose Rider.  Also Yeah, the guys there are pretty good.

To sort of eat crow, I've been getting more and more waves on my Nose Rider and I'm really starting to like it.  I actually got my first nose ride the other day and I was stoked.  I've never nose ridden any board before.  Now I've got to learn to walk the board.  Now I just do the "scootch" or hop.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2014, 05:16:26 AM »
get a goof board--youll be walking, stepping over in no time--even switch stance--got one right here next to my desk

pricey, excellent toy--way better than indos or bongo boards
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2014, 05:49:05 AM »
To sort of eat crow, I've been getting more and more waves on my Nose Rider and I'm really starting to like it.  I actually got my first nose ride the other day and I was stoked.  I've never nose ridden any board before.  Now I've got to learn to walk the board.  Now I just do the "scootch" or hop.

Easy to get frustrated at first. Your mind wants it, but your body isn't quite there.

No need to eat crow. As I previously said,

You are doing Great !

The Nose Rider is an excellent choice for, as you said, a "Long Board Sup".

Everyone has a hard time in Chop.

Too much buoyancy can make the board more corky and less stable in chop.

I think you are right where you need to be, just stick with it..
You will build up your core and quads to handle the conditions...know your limitations...

I am happy to chat with Anyone, just hit me up. number, email, website below...
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

BigSlaveDave

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2014, 07:53:44 PM »
get a goof board--youll be walking, stepping over in no time--even switch stance--got one right here next to my desk

pricey, excellent toy--way better than indos or bongo boards

So I know I should just google it, but what is a goof board?

BigSlaveDave

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2014, 07:54:38 PM »

Easy to get frustrated at first. Your mind wants it, but your body isn't quite there.

No need to eat crow. As I previously said,

You are doing Great !

The Nose Rider is an excellent choice for, as you said, a "Long Board Sup".

Everyone has a hard time in Chop.

Too much buoyancy can make the board more corky and less stable in chop.

I think you are right where you need to be, just stick with it..
You will build up your core and quads to handle the conditions...know your limitations...

I am happy to chat with Anyone, just hit me up. number, email, website below...

Thanks, Sup!

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2014, 11:37:02 PM »
i have loved my widepoint--but may be blissfully ignorant, which is fine--wish i'd paid up for the carbon
Agreed, well put, I've got the 8-10 and still very happy with it, but if I got the carbon, it would be lighter and have more flotation because of that, so I'm glad I didn't get the carbon.  My board is floaty enough, wouldn't want any more, sometimes a little extra weight can be good.
It takes a quiver to do that.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal