Author Topic: Stupid rack pad question  (Read 6442 times)

JMarkel9

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Stupid rack pad question
« on: December 10, 2014, 05:13:47 AM »
Ok this is probably a very... Very stupid question

We have always just put the back seats down in my element and slide my wife's 10'6" in and let it hang out the back. Since I'm ordering a larger board we needed a different solution. We already picked up some Thule aero roof racks and some nice 13' locking straps. Now I just need to pick up the rack pads and I'm all set.

Does the length of the pads matter? Dakine makes some nice aero pads that are 28". My wife's board is 30" wide. I'm figuring since the board will be raised up I don't have to worry about the rails getting messed up once it on the rack. But... I found some 36" wide that aren't as nice but span the width of the board. Any suggestions?

Also, on long trips do you guys tie down the front of the boards to the front of the car or just rely on the top straps?

Again... Prob a stupid question

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
Re: Stupid rack pad question
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 05:39:08 AM »
This is an excellent question. I have a Thule rack and the 28" Aero pads for our car, and the narrow pads work fine for a regular flat decked board. But if your board has a hollowed-out deck like a this rather beaten up Starboard Coast Runner 14' AST or Starboard All Stars etc that are more than 26" wide, you'll either have to place them butt down on the rack or get longer aero pads..

We don't have any long high speed trips where I live so I don't use a tie to the front of the car. I do however check that straps are not twisted, and are tight with no ends that can flap around and drive you crazy en-route.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 05:48:01 AM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 06:14:29 AM »
I have 48" Rack Pads, might do the trick?
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

carvin carter

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 06:34:33 AM »
I use 20" wide pads and it keeps my 31" wide board off the crossbars. I use a truckers hitch and I  cinch it down just barely enough to seat the board down into the pad. The ropes/straps will loosen up when they get wet so have to check them if it rains. Also, if you tie down while straps are wet I think they tighten up as they dry out. I only tie down to the cross bars and never had a problem (knock on wood).

zirkel

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 11:40:16 AM »
I have the Thule aeroblade load bars on my Suby with the same Dakine LONG (28") aero rack pads.  My board is 29" wide.  Highly recommend the setup.

http://www.thule.com/en-us/us/products/carriers-and-racks/roof-racks/racks-load-bars/thule-aeroblade-load-bar-pair-arb43-_-arb43999

http://www.dakine.com/p/backpacks-and-gear/accessories/surf/aero-rack-pad-long

I always transport in a FCS race cover, and only tie down the nose when the commute is windy, or when doing a multi-day trip.  Otherwise, no front tie down.  I use NRS 9' padded straps on the rack, and cotton clothes line with trucker's hitch (not tight, just slightly snug) to the front D-ring on the board bag.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 11:42:54 AM »
i use 2 sets of dakine aero for full rack coverage-so two on ea rack craossbar--theyve been great--ive had em on my car, always parked outside, for 2 or 3 years now.
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 12:38:48 PM »

WingSuit

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 07:27:18 AM »
if a board is 30" wide, thats at the widest point, usually near the middle.  unless you're going to strap the middle down, a 28 inch pad will be more than wide enough.  if you look at the board width closer to where your rack bars are, it'll be way less than 28 inches.  those Dakine pads have a nice velcro strip that runs all the way down the pad, not just the two velcro tabs that some straps have.  plus the dakines are thicker.  i use the dakine 28 inchers, one of my boards is 30 with a recessed stranding area, and its fine. 

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 08:21:53 AM »
Not a stupid question at all. I have a thule old school square bar ( bought 'em in 84 for my Caravan) setup with thule pads. No worries at all. I always strap both ends. This is on my Subie. I had a  Marlin 12'6" with a recessed deck and usually put pad side up. Solid as a rock!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 05:07:48 AM »
true that re the DK aero's--velcro the whole way--durable--quiet while driving

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Tonyo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 11:23:37 AM »
I have a Honda Element also. I usually carry my boards inside since my boards are under 10' and I have damaged previous boards by strapping them down too hard. My concern with roof racks on the Element is the distance between the two crossbars. It does not seem long enough when carrying boards 11' and over. The straps seem to just go around the middle of the board. I would tie down the front and back if carrying a 11' or longer on a Honda Element. Also, my board bag has plastic strap loops that I run straps through so it doesn't slide in either direction off the crossbars.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 12:27:01 PM »
I have damaged previous boards by strapping them down too hard.

Avoiding this type of damage is probably the best reason to have a good rack pad.  A good rack pad will compress and save your board when it's over cinched. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal