Author Topic: Nose Rider SUP to complement Allwave  (Read 15515 times)

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Nose Rider SUP to complement Allwave
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2015, 01:48:44 AM »
  i'm sure everyone knows what i'm going to say about the starby --  :P -- so i'll say nothing at all  :-X.

meanwhile, as i've also said before, imho, the jimmy black and blue is the best *pure* noserider on the planet, bar none, end of discussion, ha ha.  that said, thought i've ridden a striker on only two waves, i think it's likely to be the best all-arounder-type NRer going -- so much so that i would love to buy one.  but only after i buy another B&B to put in my little SUP warehouse, just in case mine gets stolen or some other disaster strikes it.  (I already own two now, one here in RI, one in CA.)

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2015, 09:22:19 AM »
Ok good info. I have a pretty good deal on a Infinity Trout 10'0, haven't seen a lot on that board, 130L.

Any opinions? I'm going to try and demo it first.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2015, 11:49:06 AM »
I had a blast on a 9'0" x 28", 120 L Trout that I demoed in Feb.  It was a Boardworks version and was a bit heavy. A custom would have been lights out!  I'm a light guy at 145 pounds.

Here's a shot of the one I tried: 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 11:51:49 AM by surfafrica »
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2015, 06:33:17 PM »
I had a blast on a 9'0" x 28", 120 L Trout that I demoed in Feb.  It was a Boardworks version and was a bit heavy. A custom would have been lights out!  I'm a light guy at 145 pounds.

Here's a shot of the one I tried: 

Wow I like the look of that board!  An Infinity-made version came up on CL a couple weeks back, I should'a jumped on it. 
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2015, 06:46:25 PM »
I will say the black and blue is pretty awesome from a design standpoint. I've never ridden one but I saw one in the water in Hawaii and it ticks all the boxes.

Side note, what's up with concave on every standup board? My noserider longboards don't have any concave, in fact they are flat or round bottom. Is it just that we can't stand on round bottoms with 50/50 rails or are we all still really talking about all-arounders that you can nose ride or am I stuck in the 1960's design-wise?

Spill your thoughts, but I've always heard that a nice round rail makes the tail suck into the wave and I've yet to see a SUP with that design.

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2015, 02:43:54 PM »
Just ordered a 10'1" JL B&B - will post reviews soon. Almost went with Sunova Style or waited for the Fanatic Stylemaster, but I think the JL B&B is more a dedicated noserider which is what I want, still have the Allwave for everything else and bigger surf
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2015, 09:06:57 PM »
I had two noserider longboards, a Stewart and a Tilton, both had concave in the nose and V in the tail.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2015, 07:09:38 AM »
Just had a JL 9'6" BB Machine delivered yesterday.  At 117 L, I am a little concerned, but my first opportunity to ride will be tomorrow afternoon... can't wait!

feet

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2015, 07:24:18 AM »
+1 on the Fanatic Stylemaster intrigue...  Looks like they are getting their first taste in OZ... All the dimensions look spot on...

JimK - Any info?

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2015, 10:42:33 AM »
Just had a JL 9'6" BB Machine delivered yesterday.  At 117 L, I am a little concerned, but my first opportunity to ride will be tomorrow afternoon... can't wait!

bean: yes, indeed, do keep us informed.  how much do you weigh?

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2015, 10:58:32 AM »
I was at 198 this morning ... I expect it will be a challenge... 

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2015, 12:07:56 PM »
   can't wait to hear your first report!

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2015, 08:21:11 AM »
Posted this on seabreeze too, pretty much love the board when everything works and I can get to the nose, (well the top 1/3 of the board - I got one ride with a sneaker 5 in 3 sessions so far).

So, I've got 3 sessions on the JL B&B 10'1", here's my quick impressions, although conditions haven't been ideal.
 Session#1: sideshore wind, really high tide, weak waist high rollers
 Session#2: Too much wind, should have kited instead of SUP
 Session #3: Clean, chest to head, some closeouts, would typically be on my AW if I hadn't just gotten this one

-Stability/Paddling: It's plenty stable for me (6'0, 175 lbs), I ride a Fanatic AW 9'2" as my primary board, so it's not as stable as that, but really no issues. To mirror what Linter has said, it is a bit slow to paddle, and it definitely feels like it's the concave and rails slowing it down. I'm not really worried about it, but I am a bit concerned that it may make catching smaller waves difficult.

-Build/Weight: I haven't weighed it officially although I may today, it feels lighter than my 9'2" AW, which was a pleasant surprise. I love the full deck pad, not sure why more companies haven't thought to do this on longboards. Build is solid, single fin is massive and was a bit of a pain to get in place.

-Ride: So, this board is kinda like a home run hitter, in 3 sessions, I've lined up roughly 5 really fun rides where I got to the nose and the concave did it's job. Now, a lot of this is conditions, other than this morning where the surf finally cleaned up and I could pick some clean rides out. The first session I cheated and basically angled the board in the direction I wanted to go and didn't really work on the pivot turn. Today, I worked the pivot turn into the smaller waves when I get them, and it works pretty well. I rode a few waves normal without trying to noseride, and it will turn decently with some glide, little wobbly in the middle of the board. Echoing what everyone else has said, this board takes some getting used too, and is by no means all-around, but....................

The few times I got to the nose and felt it accelerate through the wave with good stability was probably the most fun I've had on a SUP in months. So.......all in all, Jimmy delivered on this one.

If you want a dedicated noserider, this seems to be it, if you want an all-around you occasionally noseride, I'd look at a different board.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2015, 07:40:33 PM »
Posted this on seabreeze too, pretty much love the board when everything works and I can get to the nose, (well the top 1/3 of the board - I got one ride with a sneaker 5 in 3 sessions so far).

So, I've got 3 sessions on the JL B&B 10'1", here's my quick impressions, although conditions haven't been ideal.
 Session#1: sideshore wind, really high tide, weak waist high rollers
 Session#2: Too much wind, should have kited instead of SUP
 Session #3: Clean, chest to head, some closeouts, would typically be on my AW if I hadn't just gotten this one

-Stability/Paddling: It's plenty stable for me (6'0, 175 lbs), I ride a Fanatic AW 9'2" as my primary board, so it's not as stable as that, but really no issues. To mirror what Linter has said, it is a bit slow to paddle, and it definitely feels like it's the concave and rails slowing it down. I'm not really worried about it, but I am a bit concerned that it may make catching smaller waves difficult.

-Build/Weight: I haven't weighed it officially although I may today, it feels lighter than my 9'2" AW, which was a pleasant surprise. I love the full deck pad, not sure why more companies haven't thought to do this on longboards. Build is solid, single fin is massive and was a bit of a pain to get in place.

-Ride: So, this board is kinda like a home run hitter, in 3 sessions, I've lined up roughly 5 really fun rides where I got to the nose and the concave did it's job. Now, a lot of this is conditions, other than this morning where the surf finally cleaned up and I could pick some clean rides out. The first session I cheated and basically angled the board in the direction I wanted to go and didn't really work on the pivot turn. Today, I worked the pivot turn into the smaller waves when I get them, and it works pretty well. I rode a few waves normal without trying to noseride, and it will turn decently with some glide, little wobbly in the middle of the board. Echoing what everyone else has said, this board takes some getting used too, and is by no means all-around, but....................

The few times I got to the nose and felt it accelerate through the wave with good stability was probably the most fun I've had on a SUP in months. So.......all in all, Jimmy delivered on this one.

If you want a dedicated noserider, this seems to be it, if you want an all-around you occasionally noseride, I'd look at a different board.

Thanks for the review APPST.  For reference, how do you compare noseriding the B&B to the Allwave?
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2015, 07:46:39 PM »
Allwave is a great all-around board, but it's not a noserider by any means. I could edge my way up it, but no cross stepping, and it's really easy to pearl.

The big difference with the B&B is the concave and how the board reacts when you reach the top third, it's really impressive how well it sticks to the wave and speeds up.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard