Author Topic: Need Help Finding The Perfect SUP for me.  (Read 2367 times)

Zeid

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Need Help Finding The Perfect SUP for me.
« on: December 08, 2014, 04:03:07 PM »
Hello everyone.

I'm pretty new to SUP. In fact, I've never done it before. I lived in California most of my life and during that whole time always had some sort of surfboard. I was never very good at the "jump up from laying flat" part, but once I was standing up I seemed to always be well balanced and in control. This resulted in many nose dives and wipeouts but if I could ever just catch a wave I didn't have much problem riding it. I always LOVED just being out on the water. I eventually got into bodyboarding and was very good at it, began doing tricks and stuff. Right before I left California is when the whole SUP thing was really starting to get popular and go mainstream...

Now, I live in Phoenix and after seeing a few in person feel like I've been bit by the SUP bug. I absolutely love Arizona, it's a great place and there's a bunch of great places here to use a SUP, but one thing is missing, at least for me... Waves. I LOVE the feeling of riding a wave. Because of that, I know I'll eventually leave Phoenix. I've always dreamed of living in Hawaii and would love to move there some day, if not I may end up eventually moving back to California. But one thing is certain, I will eventually be back some where that I can ride waves.

Bearing all that in mind, I've been looking very thoroughly at the SUP options for me. I know ideally one would have more than 1 SUP, but I want something that will at least be GOOD (if not great) for several things. I'm not worried nor will be worried about big waves for quite awhile. I use to love catching smaller to medium sized waves on a longboard. I want a SUP capable of doing that, but that will come in time. For now, I want something that will be good in Flatwater, on the lakes here in Arizona. Something that will really get me used to being on a SUP and comfortable on one, something that will track and glide decently enough, but when the time comes to take a weekend get-away to California, something that will be able to pick up waves and ride them with relative ease. But I also want something stable, something that I'll have more fun on than frustration. I also don't want a board that I will get bored of within 6 months or so. I want to make an investment that will last as an all-arounder, but at the same time I cannot spend thousands. My budget is "around" $1,000 maybe give a little extra if it's something fantastic. To make this even more difficult, I'm a bit picky about design. I don't want something ugly. Anything with wood or bamboo to it looks amazing, but that's not the end all be all, just as long as it has some color and design to it and doesn't look like a big ugly stick floating out in the water.

As it stands, I'm 6'0" and about 250 pounds. I hope to shed off a lot of that with such a healthy hobby as SUP, which I plan on doing quite often being as I'm only about 10 minutes away from Lake Pleasant. Obviously, there are a lot of boards out there that would fit my needs, but I keep running into an odd problem... Whenever I find the perfect board, it's either discontinued or I can't exactly figure out how or where to purchase it.

I came across the Coreban Mammoth. Looks beautiful, lots of volume, seems to be a great size for what I'm looking for, yet I can't find any information on where to purchase it or how much it is.

I like the Star Board Avanti, but even the ugliest one is $1,400 and any kind of design to it rocket's the price up from there.

I also came across the Naish Mana 11'6 which has a lot of volume and I really like the design, but it's a soft-top and I know from my surfing days soft-tops CAN sacrifice in the performance department, unless things are a bit different (which they very well may be!) with SUP.

I found this on Isle's website: http://www.islesurfboards.com/glider-stand-up-paddle-boards-tiger-11-10.aspx which looks like a FANTASTIC deal, 695, free shipping, includes paddle, epoxy/fiberglass construction. Exactly what I'm looking for, but being 250 I'm worried it might be a tad bit small. It's only 31 inches wide and only has 216 liters, although it is 11'10. I just feel it won't be stable with me, am I wrong?

Lastly, I found this which might be what I ultimately acquire unless I can find better. Certainly not a name brand, but looks legit enough, right? http://www.paddleboarddirect.com/Cruiser-Classic-Ultra-Lite-Bamboo-Paddleboard-p/cruiserclassicbamboo.htm?gclid=CN-RjJ2ioMICFUJsfgodd6sAVA I would get the 12'0 which is 32.5 inches wide with 245 liters of volume.

Anywho, sorry for rambling on so much! I know this is one great wall full of text but figured maybe some folks would be up for helping me figure out the perfect SUP for me.

Thanks for your time!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 04:06:13 PM by Zeid »

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help Finding The Perfect SUP for me.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 04:51:28 PM »
Ok, I get to say it first...

Demo as many boards as you can. Use the dimensions as a guideline, but rate them as how they feel as you paddle them and carry them around. Factor in everything. Like it, but it comes with a crappy handle? You're going to hate it first time you have to lug up a beachfront stairway. Paddles good but seems stiff turning it around and won't to fit in your storage place?

Stuff like this really matters.

supthecreek

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 05:04:15 PM »
Hi Zeid... welcome to the stoke!

I feel your concerns and fully identify with them... I was in a similar boat 4 years ago. I had a lot of surf experience, but was old and way too heavy at 285 lbs.
I found my savior in the Avanti. It was the perfect choice for me at that time. It surfed really well and was great in flat-water.

You don't sound as old and your quite a bit lighter, so you have more options. At 250 you do not need a board as wide as the Avanti to float you, but depending on your fitness quota, you may or may not need the width. SUP is fairly easy to learn on calm, flat-water... waves add a lot more challenge.

I would suggest that you rent a board and see what your skill level is then adjust your search accordingly.

There are a lot of great boards out there, but most cost some $$$.

The low priced ones you linked to are fine places to start, but they sometimes are less durable and harder to sell when the time comes. You need to weigh that as you consider boards. The good thing about starter boards is they usually can be bought as a package which includes a paddle and a leash.

I have owned a bunch of big boy boards from Fanatic, Naish, Starboard, Watersedge and Cabrinah (now JP)

Everyone already knows what I will recommend  ;D..... because the question comes up a lot from bigger guys looking to get their first SUP. My answer remains the same because I really believe it to be a great choice on so many levels.

You would probably be VERY happy with a 9'10 x 33 Fanatic Allwave. At 190 liters and 33" width, it has more than enough float for 250lbs and is very stable. I have spent hundreds of hours paddling the 9'10 on flat-water. I didn't surf it all that much, because I was down to 260 lbs by then and I rode my 9'6 Allwave in the surf. It has a great handle and is very durable. Plus at only 9'10... very easy to carry and transport.

They are near your target price, JimK at Extremewindsurfing has some 2014's for $1,199. He ships nationwide and has sold lots of Allwaves to Zoners . He is a Zoner and another big boy... give him a call, he's a great guy to learn from.
http://extremewindsurfing.com/

I'd put the 10' x 33 Naish Mana at 190 liters as a close 2nd... I loved my Mana's but they were more expensive than the JimK Allwave deals and I found them to be much less durable and a bit heavier.

The JP Fusion 10'4 x 34 is another really nice board to consider... nice board and it's great looking, but it may be out of your price range.

You have made the most important choice already... you chose SUP  ;D ;D ;D

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 05:04:58 PM »
Welcome to the Zone...

I carry the Coreban, Naish and the Starboard..

Soft top's... Meh !   Maybe for Rentals, Dogs and Kids.

An additional entry might be the Surftech Universal.

12'X 33.5 X 258 L

Close to your Budget, and we'll throw in a entry level adjustable paddle...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 05:24:19 PM by Sup-position »
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

Zeid

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 06:00:25 PM »
Thank you for the welcome and replies, folks!

I'm not super worried about resale value, just something that will last a few years and do what I'm wanting out of it. Believe me I know, I've heard SO many good things about the Avanti. I've heard it is the King of big guy all arounders. If I won the lottery tomorrow this would be a very easy decision, I would go strait out and get the wooden Avanti! lol

I didn't know Surftech made a all-around board with that much volume. I'll definitely check your stuff out Sup-Position.

I'll look up that 9'10 allwave as well.

About Demo'ing, I'm not sure if they do that anywhere east of Havasu? I know they do it there a lot come summer time, but around Phoenix and being in the "Winter" (lol) here, I'm not sure. Does it always have to be a demo event, or will some places let you try one of their boards?

Thanks again for the replies and welcomes. I'm not sure how long it'll take me to get a SUP, money is a bit tight right now but I'm going to do it. Maybe a few weeks, maybe a few months, but no longer than that! I've done lots of lurking and reading on this site as well, it's super helpful, that's why I signed up :D

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 06:09:39 PM »
Right On !
You are on the Path...
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
post Re: Jimmy Lewis Super Frank
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:17:06 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal