Author Topic: Roof rack hand crank  (Read 5212 times)

joshartley

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Roof rack hand crank
« on: December 05, 2014, 08:33:32 AM »
Hello, I need some help finding a roof rack or maybe an accessory for a roof rack. I sold a couple boards to a guy over the summer and he came over with this roof rack that had a hand crank that tightened his straps down. I could have swore he said they were Thule, but I searched their website and have done a million other Google searches with no luck. If anyone has any idea what I'm talking about and can give me some direction in where to search for these things I'd be very appreciative.

Thanks for reading,
Josh

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Roof rack hand crank
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 08:52:21 AM »
They were probably ratchet straps (http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-16-ft-x-1-1-4-in-Ratchet-Tie-Downs-4-Pack-480606-12/202340309) but these are not recommended for securing your boards. You don't need your straps that tight at all. You can damage your board by cranking these too tight. Lots of threads on here about alternative tie-down methods, including just plain rope. 

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 08:53:58 AM »
Careful with the Ratcheting Straps..
They can crush your Board/Rail.
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 09:42:32 AM »
Well, for what it's worth, here's some first hand Thule history: Many years ago, likely the early 1990's, Thule did make and sell a strap system with a ratcheting hand crank. I bought a set for my Thule racks. The system used blue nylon straps that were about an inch and a half or inch and three-quarters wide. It consisted of an anchor mechanism for the center of the rack and a hand crank 'spool' for the outside end of the rack. The nylon straps were cranked around the spool to tighten and there was a spring loaded release plate that you used to unlock the crank so that you could unwind the straps.

Because you had to thread the strap end into a slot in the crank mechanism, it turned out to be a PITA to load boards when it was windy. At the time, I was using mine primarily for windsurf boards. Also, the little crank mechanism was a hassle; it was hard to get it in the right spot so that it would be close enough to the board rail but not hit the rail with your fingers when you were trying to crank it. Also, the little crank handle would often hit the rail of the board which would hang it up when tightening or releasing it. Lastly, if used around salt water, the steel parts were subject to corrosion.

My set ended up in my Thule parts box, which was quite extensive :D. I ended up throwing them out. Good idea but the execution and engineering was flawed for the way I was using the system. But I liked the idea of a ratchet and crank system a lot.

Several years ago, I discovered Inno board racks. They are an attachment and can be mounted on a variety of rack bars. They use coated aircraft cable which is on a ratcheted spooling mechanism and simply hooks over a fixed part of the system. It's quick and secure and can even be locked. Cable cutters could defeat the security but it's better than nothing. I purchased my set on Amazon and I've used them for going on 4 years. They've held up well although the coating on the cables is deteriorating from constant exposure to the elements.

I like the system so much, I bought a second set of them. Pono Bill makes fun of the system (he just throws ropes over his boards to secure them - and it works amazingly well), but I love it. Especially that you can at least get some degree of security by locking the rack if you run in a store or whatever.

You could easily crush the rails of surf boards or surf SUP's but it's easy to set the correct degree of tension on the racks with some common sense. I don't have any relationship or interest in the company, I just like the system.

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 10:44:52 AM »
That's a pretty good description of the Thule hand crank. That's one system that was never meant for boards.

I get a kick out of Pono Bills rope "system". For a guy that has about 20 nutty professor projects on any given day you would think he would have built a solar powered, electromagnetic, remote controlled hydraulic roof rack system. But maybe that's what he's using but he calls it a "rope".

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 11:35:22 AM »
Hello, I need some help finding a roof rack or maybe an accessory for a roof rack. I sold a couple boards to a guy over the summer and he came over with this roof rack that had a hand crank that tightened his straps down.

Was it an Inno rack?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OahnkutXf8
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 11:52:45 AM »
i patent infringed creek's very slick rack design--in my highlander I fold down the rear seat, fully recline the frt passenger seat(gotta pull both headrest), and I travel with both boards--i can still get in my glove box!

i have rack pads strap, but this is best, esp given i usually travel, if not surf, solo
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 03:40:04 PM »
I like optimization. Ropes are optimized. Gregg's system is needlessly complicated and requires him to crawl around on his van like a monkey. My ropes work with my feet on the ground and get stuff locked down in wind. His system would have to hand me five bucks every time I used it to make it worthwhile.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 04:00:51 PM »
Any time you take away the 'feel' of how much pressure you're exerting, you're taking a chance of what SUPposition posted.  Those mechanical ones could crush your board with one or two clicks. 

All of us who own hollow boards are very sensitive about this.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 06:59:05 PM »
PB is more dangerous to boards than any ratchet system will ever be.  ;D ;D ;D

The question was about cranking systems. They include more moving parts than ropes. Too many moving parts for some operators.

Ropes are elegant in their simplicity and effectiveness plus you can secure them right now. I like trowing my bahrd on your rig for that reason Mr. Bill. Maybe I'll go to ropes one day myself but I like the ability to lock a board or two on the rack if I'm stuck carrying them around for a while.

gorgebob

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Gorgeperformance.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 09:44:41 PM »
I loved the old Thule ratchet system. The joy of guessing the correct about of strap to pull though so the tail end was perfectly tucked in after strapping it down was priceless.
Founder: Gorge Performance Surf  Shop Portland
Fabricator: RNR Engineering

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2014, 12:50:55 AM »
I like the ability to lock a board or two on the rack if I'm stuck carrying them around for a while.

Kalama puts a steel cable inside his ropes and locks them. Pretty slick.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2014, 12:59:13 AM »

Kalama puts a steel cable inside his ropes and locks them. Pretty slick.

You've mentioned that before. Can't imagine the ropes with steel cable in them would be as easy to handle as plain rope. I love how easy it is to trow da rope over the boards and get it secured quickly.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2014, 01:07:37 AM »
They throw even easier. A little extra weight.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2014, 01:13:19 AM »
Tying a knot in a rope with steel cable in it can't be easy, even for DK.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 01:15:16 AM by covesurfer »

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal