Author Topic: For all "longboard SUP" lovers  (Read 33643 times)

balance_fit

• Peahi Status
  • Simple, not easy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: For all "longboard SUP" lovers
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2015, 07:35:02 AM »
Seems that the longboard movement is alive and kicking, both from the manufacturers bringing about their point regarding shapes and materials, as well as from sup'ers with experience, reviews and visuals.
Creek, saw the Sunovas on the 'breeze, even downloaded the picture of their boards. They got 4 longboards in the vicinity of 10 feet...hmmm, candy for all tastes !
Surfing longboard this weekend, after over a year away from this experience...
Keep the candy flowing !
Bic Wing 11' x 29"
Bark Commander 12' x 20" 
Walden Magic 10'
Other tools for mental and physical sanity not mentioned

jumpfrom13k

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2015, 07:48:24 AM »
Do you need quite a bit of volume by the nose in order to hang 10?

I can do cheater 5 on my Simsup but haven't even thought of trying going all 10. Feel like the nose doesn't have enough volume and it will sink into the water.

balance_fit

• Peahi Status
  • Simple, not easy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2015, 09:09:57 AM »

I can do cheater 5 on my Simsup but haven't even thought of trying going all 10. Feel like the nose doesn't have enough volume and it will sink into the water.
Possibly, IMO, the answer lies in the design of the tail, since it may lack enough hold to bear weight on the nose.
Bic Wing 11' x 29"
Bark Commander 12' x 20" 
Walden Magic 10'
Other tools for mental and physical sanity not mentioned

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2015, 09:28:50 AM »
I think its more the shape of bottom and width of the nose and getting the tail to stick rather than volume. The board I've had the most luck getting out to the nose has less volume (especially in the nose) than my others but has more of a longboard look to it. 9-8 Element.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2015, 09:39:27 AM »
I can't answer your volume in the nose question because I don't have enough experience with riding longboards, but I used to have a high-performance Stewart longboard that was a GREAT noserider thanks to all the concave in the nose.

Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2015, 09:53:16 AM »
creek: yup, the black and blue.

i hear you about the danger zone w/ the laird.  i've had it lose its hold and the board turned (sharp) rail up and it knifed me right in the gut.  did not feel good.  i do like how easily it catches waves, however, and once you get on the tail, it can turn on the dime, which has been specially handy here when trying to kick out and escape all the closeouts i've been riding.

in the next day or two, i'm going to head on over to kings and see what's what.  maybe i'll get an order ready to enter in the late summer, so i have a new board to ride when i return to the area next winter.  if i do.  which i think i will.

i'll be back in RI in late winter.  see you then!

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2015, 01:24:47 PM »
creek: i have the 10-6 laird and think it's pretty cool; you could try it, of course, but i'm going to be leaving it behind in SD, sob.  one thing i might say about both the laird and the sunova is that i'm not convinced all that nose area is necessary for the longboard experience.  unlike the fat-nose starboard NR, the lairds are very thinned out and foiled. but for some reason, once i get (close) to the nose, it seems to make things a little skittish.
   i tried a narrower-nosed 10-6 kings the other day -- a five year old board so it's not a new model like the croc -- and actually got a big toe over the nose, with the thing feeling very locked in and stable.  was it the nose?  the wave?  the conditions?  just me?  who knows but i'm thinking nose knows.
  the other thing about the kings that i thought was cool is that i found you could take off fairly late and almost sideways to the wave and basically slide down the face into the ride and not get pitched.  i think this is because the board has soft rails all the way around.  i haven't been able to do this on the laird, maybe because its rails are somewhat more turned down, especially toward the tail.
   personally, i like the outline of your alana better'n both the laird and the sunova.
   btw/ i have the 10-1 jimmy lewis waiting for me when i return to RI.  haven't ridden it yet, but i sure like the looks of it.  i'd love to have you try it.

Impressive linter....getting a toe over!

"...with the thing feeling very locked in and stable..."
I'm thinking, of course it was you, but maybe you have found the right board
or type of board for that...and, I'm interested in that.
If you do try another Kings noserider, please give us a review
(also, the Black & Blue)....as I'm due for a new board.

As you may know I have the original Pearson Laird Surftech - a 10'6".
I routinely noseride it up to about 12 to 18 inches from the front of the board,
any further up and I know I am risking the tail pulling out - I think because
of the sharp rather than round edges in the tail. I've had some success changing
the fins around but I think the limiting factor is the sharp edges...
(and, also, it could be the nose rocker, although, that lets you roller coaster
up and down even from the nose!)

I love to stand parallel on the nose - like riding a flying carpet...
but I'd really love to be able to do it with toes over!

Cowabunga!
 8)

Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

getsupngo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2015, 01:48:39 PM »
The sun nova boards look a nice shape but put a hole into the balsa and your going to be isucking water in like there's no tomorrow and that's not going to be great which is why pvc is used in most sandwiches,however pvc is a more expensif.

I have allso just got a laird 9' hybrid in for repairs and again it looks like a super nice shape with super thin nose and tail and under 4" thick whith a nice thin rail too . Only problem I have found with that is I think they have used a polyester gloss coat on the board which although not structural it has spider craked in a few places so in time may not look great.( polyester resin does not chemically bond to epoxy resin,only mechanicaly so tends to chip off quite often) I'm  hoping to get a little play on this one though as it realy does look nice

I'm sure Bert at Sunova knows how to make a nice balsa sandwich composite.

I've been using balsa sandwich composite on my windsurf and sup boards for a decade and I prefer it way more than any other construction.  Smooth and responsive ride. 

I never worry about water intrusion as I seem to be doing something right.

CHill

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Ohana Paddle Sports
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2015, 02:45:23 PM »
Just my 2 cents I was taught by my shaper for a true longboard noserider hard edges cause lift in the tail
yet turn good , soft edges allows water to grab the tail and creates hold yet not great for turning
look at any of the noseriders built for surfing less the paddle and he is right but you also need some kick in the rocker in the very end of the tail all this leads to a sold noserider but turning is a wash , personally if you want to noseride build it for that if you want to turn get a short board or short sup but thats just my way of thinking and thats what makes riding waves fun we all have our own way to look at it

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2015, 04:26:56 PM »
subber: the last 12 to 18 inches is normally where i can get too.  i spoke to dave daum at kings today and he seemed to think that my laird at least is made for performance longboarding and thus is not likely to be the best noserider out there.  we then had a long discussion about his noserider specific croc model, which features a step deck tail that, in fact, deals with the turning issues that CHill refers too.  iow, the croc is a turning, slashing machine that also happens to be a fantastic noserider, says DD.

be that as it may, turning and slashing is not the experience i'm after (nor is it what i'm capable of), so the talk turned to his Knight model, which could be modified with a croc-like step-deck nose to optimize the possibility of tip time.  his boards are very expensive, however ... and i might be buying an old rusty porsche 356 with major patina this weekend ... so i've got to husband my money. 

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2015, 04:29:26 PM »
Do the Pearson Arrow Lairds and the boards at Lairds site have the same down rail at the nose?

creek: yup, the black and blue.

i hear you about the danger zone w/ the laird.  i've had it lose its hold and the board turned (sharp) rail up and it knifed me right in the gut.  did not feel good.  i do like how easily it catches waves, however, and once you get on the tail, it can turn on the dime, which has been specially handy here when trying to kick out and escape all the closeouts i've been riding.

in the next day or two, i'm going to head on over to kings and see what's what.  maybe i'll get an order ready to enter in the late summer, so i have a new board to ride when i return to the area next winter.  if i do.  which i think i will.

i'll be back in RI in late winter.  see you then!
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2015, 04:50:15 PM »
I ran into Mickey Munoz at our local hardware store last year. He was telling me about the design subtleties of the nose of a nose rider. He said it's a lift vs weight ratio. If there is too much or too little lift it won't work.  The width effects the volume and lift. The rails effect the nose steering. Concave noses gives him better nose steering and hold. He said something to the effect of, There is only one nose rider design that will work for me. Once I find it, that's it. So I guess if I loose 10 pounds, it's time to search for a new nose rider:) 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

supthecreek

« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2015, 02:08:49 PM »
The sun nova boards look a nice shape but put a hole into the balsa and your going to be isucking water in like there's no tomorrow and that's not going to be great which is why pvc is used in most sandwiches,however pvc is a more expensif.

I have allso just got a laird 9' hybrid in for repairs and again it looks like a super nice shape with super thin nose and tail and under 4" thick whith a nice thin rail too . Only problem I have found with that is I think they have used a polyester gloss coat on the board which although not structural it has spider craked in a few places so in time may not look great.( polyester resin does not chemically bond to epoxy resin,only mechanicaly so tends to chip off quite often) I'm  hoping to get a little play on this one though as it realy does look nice

I'm sure Bert at Sunova knows how to make a nice balsa sandwich composite.

I've been using balsa sandwich composite on my windsurf and sup boards for a decade and I prefer it way more than any other construction.  Smooth and responsive ride. 

I never worry about water intrusion as I seem to be doing something right.

Thanks for that feedback on Balsa... I like the reasoning behind using it in SUP construction.

I got an immediate response from Sunova, he said that the balsa is slow to absorb water, and although you should fix right away, it does not suck in water fast enough to be a serious problem.

I may buy a piece of balsa and conduct some of my own tests.

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2015, 03:21:58 PM »
This might conflict w/ another thread I just started.....if so, I'll defer to the Moderator's to zap my other post.

I have a NSP Element (11' x 31"x4.25 @ 190L w/ a stock 9"FCS fin).....is this a board that would be considered an easy nose-rider?
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2015, 05:45:22 PM »
If you can nose ride it, then....

Was it shaped as a nose rider? No.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb-oA2I9y7Y
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 05:59:22 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal