Author Topic: For all "longboard SUP" lovers  (Read 33583 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Re: For all "longboard SUP" lovers
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2015, 12:35:07 PM »
Linter,  There must be something in French water that brings out style?  I bookmarked this young fellow's ride to give me something to shoot for next summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID4ud0Rc2v4

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2015, 01:27:20 PM »
I hear ya but I'm continuing with short sups and will be experimenting with much shorter but I want a clean longboard sup too. Check out Lairds longboard sup designs at his own website. They are really clean.

Thanks Creek and all others for showing the way....back.

After experimenting for almost a year on several "shorter" sups, i've made up my mind. I'm returning to my definition of fun and flowy surfing.

This weekend, i'm trying a 10'6 Pearson Laird vs a 10' French Generator. One of which i will buy.

Glide, nose time and flow with the wave. Aha moment came last weekend while watching a peer on his old C4 11', gliding in, stalling, walking it. .... as i was struggling with late drops ...

Experiment is over, i had fallen short of my favorite style on the shorties. Bring longer, flowy...

End of rant...
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

balance_fit

• Peahi Status
  • Simple, not easy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2015, 04:18:50 PM »
I hear ya but I'm continuing with short sups and will be experimenting with much shorter but I want a clean longboard sup too. Check out Lairds longboard sup designs at his own website. They are really clean.

Absolutely, variety spices it up, long, short, wide, narrow...so much to experiment !

As for me, i'm done with experimenting, I've demoed several boards, down to sub 8' size on 100 Liters volume and it gave me a pretty clear idea of what to expect/gain/lose. 

I seek a longboard sup with nose riding/performance attributes, which for me, becomes a 2 for 1 shot, for our usual mushiness.

Been eyeing Laird's new designs, drooling !
Bic Wing 11' x 29"
Bark Commander 12' x 20" 
Walden Magic 10'
Other tools for mental and physical sanity not mentioned

CHill

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Ohana Paddle Sports
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2015, 04:44:31 PM »
Been working with a local longboard shaper
he made me a 10' noserider - no hard edges
at all out of poly single fin not very stable to
stand on because of the lack of edges
but paddles well and noserides great
Fin  is an Alllison Chill 4 A
This is what's great about SUP right now
we are all in the tinkering stage such
a good time

Chill

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2015, 05:13:15 PM »
From today.  Kent Apo on his long with a wood blade.  Tom Jewell pic.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2015, 06:03:40 PM »
Headmount - Mahalos for that pic. No snow, no suit, sigh...
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2015, 06:42:57 PM »
Looking forward to seeing more of that noserider Chill.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2015, 07:56:18 PM »
Kent is so much fun to watch, so smooth. That paddle of his weighs more than he does. He does the most amazing saves--you think he's definitely gone this time, but no.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supthecreek

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2015, 08:38:49 PM »
Hey balance_easier....
here is a board I am looking very closely at. It's Australian, but they have an East Coast distributor. Brand name Sunova... model is  "Style"
They are pretty low volume like the Kings Crock and the new Lairds
They look like (and word on the street confirms) they are well built and very light.
And middle of the road, price wise.

The "Style"  first raised my eyebrows in a 10' championships in Oz.... easily outperformed all other riders... the board (rider) looked spectacular!

I like the narrower tail for better hold while noseriding, but I think the shape and rocker are going to make this a magic board. I may have to get a job. I love my 10'6 Alana in all conditions, but I'm always looking ;D

Here's a link to a thread with lots of info, specs and pics... watch the construction video... the company spokesman could be better, but the interviewer drags the info out of him.

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/Review/Sunova-Style-Longboard-Style-Sup-at-Surf-Fx/

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2015, 09:14:15 PM »
Here's a link to a thread with lots of info, specs and pics... watch the construction video... the company spokesman could be better, but the interviewer drags the info out of him.

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/Review/Sunova-Style-Longboard-Style-Sup-at-Surf-Fx/
[/quote]

Just when I thought I'd seen 'em all... those look nice! 

I have been looking, too, and keep coming down to the new 10'0 Lairds, a King's custom, and now these Sunovas & Tom Carroll NSPs.  They all seem to be what I'm looking for - smaller than my 10'5 Drive, but a tad longer than my 9'0 CMLB... perfect.   

San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2015, 12:30:50 AM »
The sun nova boards look a nice shape but put a hole into the balsa and your going to be isucking water in like there's no tomorrow and that's not going to be great which is why pvc is used in most sandwiches,however pvc is a more expensif.

I have allso just got a laird 9' hybrid in for repairs and again it looks like a super nice shape with super thin nose and tail and under 4" thick whith a nice thin rail too . Only problem I have found with that is I think they have used a polyester gloss coat on the board which although not structural it has spider craked in a few places so in time may not look great.( polyester resin does not chemically bond to epoxy resin,only mechanicaly so tends to chip off quite often) I'm  hoping to get a little play on this one though as it realy does look nice

supthecreek

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2015, 03:48:09 AM »
Hi supuk, thanks for the heads upon the balsa, but it makes me wonder why it is used by builders... it there a way they can seal the balsa? do they? It just seems like folly to use balsa, if every spider crack can lead to weight gain. Sunova seems to have taken a lot of care in their construction, I have to dig a bit on this.

The Naish GT's wood construction doesn't say what kind of wood they use... is it yellow pine or something that resists water absorption?

I had the last generation Surftec Laird 10'6.... great shape but I was surprised that I greatly prefered my 10'6 Alana (Nalu) which is a the best "longboard" I have found so far. I owned them both at the same time.... sold the Laird. The Laird did chip, but not near as bad as my Alana. I did a video review of the Alana in a previous thread, I'll repost my vid here, it compares the Laird at one point. I didn't go as "in depth" on the design side, since it is a board that has been around and the particulars are easy to find, it's more of a "how does it ride" review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39p16QOfFFs

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2015, 04:45:48 AM »
creek: i have the 10-6 laird and think it's pretty cool; you could try it, of course, but i'm going to be leaving it behind in SD, sob.  one thing i might say about both the laird and the sunova is that i'm not convinced all that nose area is necessary for the longboard experience.  unlike the fat-nose starboard NR, the lairds are very thinned out and foiled. but for some reason, once i get (close) to the nose, it seems to make things a little skittish.
   i tried a narrower-nosed 10-6 kings the other day -- a five year old board so it's not a new model like the croc -- and actually got a big toe over the nose, with the thing feeling very locked in and stable.  was it the nose?  the wave?  the conditions?  just me?  who knows but i'm thinking nose knows.
  the other thing about the kings that i thought was cool is that i found you could take off fairly late and almost sideways to the wave and basically slide down the face into the ride and not get pitched.  i think this is because the board has soft rails all the way around.  i haven't been able to do this on the laird, maybe because its rails are somewhat more turned down, especially toward the tail.
   personally, i like the outline of your alana better'n both the laird and the sunova.
   btw/ i have the 10-1 jimmy lewis waiting for me when i return to RI.  haven't ridden it yet, but i sure like the looks of it.  i'd love to have you try it.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2015, 05:39:22 AM »
Vanier is only generally  around .5 mm thick or less so there is very little volume of wood to soak water and a certain amount will penetrate if vacuum baged. Balsa  will allso soak resin as well but at that thickness you are ether going to have to soak it to the point you have a huge amount of heavy epoxy or keep it fairly dry so it stays light but then you have the posability of soaking up water if you get a ding. Perhaps they have a special stuff that stops this but in all there marketing speal they don't mention it, perhaps some one can clarify ? I have not heard of anything personally and can think of better materials to use that would avoid both problems.

supthecreek

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2015, 06:00:58 AM »
Thanks uk... a Sunova rep in Oz came on the breeze and offered to answer any questions... I'll hit him up and report back.

linter.... I totally get your take on the skittishness of the Laird when on the nose.
My experience with it:
It noserides very easily BUT... when it goes bad it is instant... like you said, the turned down rails simply blow out when pushed. I had this overwhelming feeling that the Laird was going to hurt me. The very thin, sharp rails in the nose concentrate impact into a small area and the blowouts make controling the wipeout near impossible, I was always taking hits from the board. In contrast, the softer rails of the Alana don't tip-ride as well, but the fails are slower, more predictable and easier to control the separation from the board.

I also agree that nose width is not crucial for nose riding, it's more about rails, rocker lines and technique. The excess width may have some function in the Lairds tendency to slip out.

I will be following the Sunova line with interest, to see how it shakes out.

Erik.... thanks, I can't wait to demo your Jimmy Lewis... Black & Blue?    see you when the birds fly north again.... you really have to come out and do some flat-water with me.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal