Author Topic: Help....Can't Paddle Straight  (Read 9797 times)

Jlaw818

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Help....Can't Paddle Straight
« on: December 02, 2014, 12:22:35 PM »
I recently made the switch from surfing a longboard to a SUP.  I bought and ride a 10' SUP, and i can surf it fine, but I recently borrowed my friend's SUP (8'8, 3 fins, epoxy) and i couldn't paddle it straight.  With every stroke, the nose turned 30 degrees.  When i was a paddling for a wave, i couldn't keep the board straight enough to maintain speed and couldn't catch the waves. 

When i paddle, i typically keep my feet side-by-side and then switch to a typical surfing stance (regular foot) when i catch the wave.

Can anyone offer some suggestions for keeping the board straight while paddling?

Thanks.
SUPCO 10',  30", 4.25", 23 lbs, 180 L

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Help....Can't Paddle Straight
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 01:10:41 PM »
Several things you can do to improve your ability to paddle straighter.

1) Apply pressure on the rail you are paddling on. The rocker will turn the board opposite of your stroke force. If you apply more pressure to the rail then it will
counter act even more.

2) Pull your paddle parallel to the stringer (center) line. If you are pulling diagonally to the stringer (center) line you are inducing a turn.

3) You can put in a bigger center fin. But your surfing performance might be affected.
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 01:16:04 PM »
IMO the biggest thing to help is to stand slightly more forward on the board.. Most people I see paddling stand at the handle or slightly behind the center of the handle.. Try standing slightly ahead of the center of the handle.. You might think the nose of the board is a bit low but you will get used to that and you should notice a big difference paddling.. Try paddling with the paddle as vertical as you can and doing this requires a slight twist in your upper body to get your top left hand over the right rail and visa-versa with your right hand.. Try not to paddle past your feet.. Short strokes tend to cause less yawing than long strokes.. i think it's mostly a time on the water thing with that particular board..  :)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 01:21:15 PM by DavidJohn »

supthecreek

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 01:33:22 PM »
Hi Jlaw... welcome to SUP and the Zone ;D

Here's  sort of an "instant" fix...

I aim a bit more than halfway out towards the ocean

When a wave comes, I simply time it, so that I can paddle on one side for the wave... it turns me towards the beach as I reach the take off zone. I almost never have to switch sides.

Here is a video of me riding an 8'10 Allwave... the vid shows where I aim my board and how I paddle for the wave.

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 04:52:40 PM »
I recently made the switch from surfing a longboard to a SUP.  I bought and ride a 10' SUP, and i can surf it fine, but I recently borrowed my friend's SUP (8'8, 3 fins, epoxy) and i couldn't paddle it straight.  With every stroke, the nose turned 30 degrees.  When i was a paddling for a wave, i couldn't keep the board straight enough to maintain speed and couldn't catch the waves. 

When i paddle, i typically keep my feet side-by-side and then switch to a typical surfing stance (regular foot) when i catch the wave.

Can anyone offer some suggestions for keeping the board straight while paddling?

Thanks.

My suggestion:  Take smaller strokes--almost like little chops as opposed to pulling--with the paddle shaft as vertical as possible.  I think that would be a variation of the Tahitian style. 

Moving to SUP shortboards was a bit of a freaky experience for me at first, replete with cursing and consternation.  At a certain length, one now needs to control the PITCH of both the NOSE AND TAIL (WTF!  My board just dove two feet under water!), as well as the yaw and roll.  Then of course the yaw issue is magnified if one continues to use the same stroke from longer boards.

So I found that by shortening the stroke dramatically--which also caused me for whatever reason to weight the foot on that corresponding rail as well (accidentally discovered bonus)--I was able to maintain a much straighter course.  I got a reminder about these challenges about two months ago when I borrowed my neighbor's 7' Riviera Door with just twin fins on it.  It felt like every stroke resulted in a nearly 45 degree yaw, so I was forced to really exaggerate the short stroke even more.  Took about 10 minutes to get it down, although I was still klutzing it.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 04:55:11 PM by The Kernel »
Kernel:  Cutting through the bull**it.
"This is the kernel of the argument."

Over 50, but usually pushing it like I'm 25 and paying for it later.

8'0 L41 Simsup
9'2" T. Patterson Rising Sun
9'2" Riviera Nugg Turbo Carbon
10' Riviera Machete

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 06:19:23 PM »
Short stroke is the biggest cure. People thing they're doing some good when they pull the paddle past their feet, but really all you're doing is sinking the tail and pulling yourself off to the side.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Jlaw818

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 06:48:24 PM »
Thanks guys.  All great answers.  I can't wait to get out and try again.
SUPCO 10',  30", 4.25", 23 lbs, 180 L

Old School 213

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 07:07:09 PM »
Am I the only one that can't help but read the OP in Jennifer Lawrence's voice?

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 07:31:35 PM »
Agree with those above.  The biggest bug I've had to work out of my paddling is long strokes.  Still catch myself doing it sometimes.  Seems counter-intuitive, but short strokes are the answer. Short strokes pulling from far in front are the way to keep your board straighter.   Long strokes going near or even past your feet are bad for tracking and balance and are a waste of energy. 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 07:48:06 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

mastman

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 12:10:27 PM »
Does anyone else have this experience: when on my surfboard, I sink the rail I am paddling on to go straighter; on my race board, I sink the rail opposite to the side I am paddling to go straighter.  Is that real or is it all in my head?  I assume my surf board follows the rocker curve while my flat race board follows the line of the rail in the water?
Quiver=
9'4" Hobie CM
12'6" Starboard Race
14' King's Race

ctuna

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 10:42:55 PM »
The board outline is going to effect this a lot.
something that is pulled in at the front and back with no point
where the rails are straight is going to be much more difficult .
Parallel rails will make things easier.
The older Allwaves for example had a much more conventional
old longboard style where the new ones are much more of a shortboard
shape.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 10:45:03 PM by ctuna »

robcasey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Salmon Bay Paddle
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 08:09:46 AM »
2 methods to solve the issue on any board...

1. make sure your paddle shaft is vertical when you paddle forward.  raise your upper hand so it's over the water or your wrists are stacked.  use a loose grip as well. 

2. make sure the paddle blade drops in the water in line with the rail by your feet. so drop in at the catch 2-3 inches away from the nose then draw a straight line to your feet.  remove blade at your feet or slightly behind. 

Other tips.
- watch where you're going, also helps with balance. 

- keep your body in line with the center, vs leaning out to the sides on turns or paddling straight. 

- dipping the rail as mentioned above but that gets old after awhile and does add drag slowing you down. 

- bigger fin, 9-10" or on a flat water board get a race fin, Larry Allison Ninja or related. 

cheers..
Rob Casey
Salmon Bay Paddle
PSUPA
Seattle

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 10:22:15 AM »
we made a video on how to paddle straight that should be helpful:

Stand Up Paddle tips: using the blade angle, stroke path, and shaft angle to make the board go in a straight line. 
If you can only get a few strokes per side before having to switch sides, this video has some tips on how to make your board go in a straight line longer with less yawing by:

1) Shaft angle: holding your shaft straight- perpendicular to the water

2) Blade angle: angling the blade slightly inward towards the board 

3) Blade path: starting the stroke slightly away from the rail nd pulling the paddle in towards the feet, ending the stroke close to rail by your feet.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2015, 11:51:25 AM »
Hey Robert, that board looks pretty narrow on this vid.  How wide is it?
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2015, 11:54:37 AM »
Does anyone else have this experience: when on my surfboard, I sink the rail I am paddling on to go straighter; on my race board, I sink the rail opposite to the side I am paddling to go straighter.  Is that real or is it all in my head?  I assume my surf board follows the rocker curve while my flat race board follows the line of the rail in the water?
That is generally true MM

Re: JL's original question.   Since you moved form a 10' to 8'8" board, you probably stand just a little deeper in the water.   So, assuming you stayed with the paddle you were used to, it would now be a little too long.  Unless you have perfect technique, the tendency is to sweep a paddle that is too long which contributes to the yaw.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 12:16:13 PM by Bean »

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal