Author Topic: Allwave and paddle learning needed  (Read 7620 times)

EatCrow

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Allwave and paddle learning needed
« on: November 30, 2014, 09:28:58 AM »
Welp I will admit that I have cussed a many bucket hat, bootie wearing, danger to others SUP'er. Although now mending after second SLAP tear repair, I have decided to move my nearly four decades of prone surfing over to SUS to save on overhead paddling, duck diving, and popping up on shoulders that will need some relief from years of overuse. I initially figured I'd get a longboard type board like a Nalu to save on paddle effort, and because I generally only get surf in the knee to waist range, and see a handful of chest days, and maybe one head high swell a year that I actually get to surf. After lurking on here a few days though these Allwaves have me intrigued. I'm at 155lbs now, but I'm actually trying to gain weight after changing my diet around, I lost way more weight than I had planned. I use to be a pretty constant 190. My ability to demo boards is pretty limited her in VA, so my purchase will be advice driven. I'm sure body weight wise a smaller Allwave like 8'3 or 8'5 would be plenty, but condition wise and being completely new to SUP but not surfing, the 8'11 would probably be better? Also I'm guessing I should start with an adjustable paddle, but I know I want a shorter paddle to prevent reaching overhead, but what about blade size until I figure out length, should I be looking at a small blade and a high cadence? Also for you Allwave riders where are you sitting in the lineup in relation to prone longboarders? The only SUPs I see here are barges that set way outside and basically never really catch too much other than the rogue bigger sets, and they usually fall somewhere in the shortboard take off zone. Thanks for the insight

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Allwave and paddle learning needed
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 09:44:22 AM »
Be prepared for a surprise.  SUP surfing is not lame, it's more difficult than it looks and it's really fun.  All of my proner buddies who I have let try surfing my boards have gained new respect for it.  You don't have to be a kook who sits outside of the proners, catches waves then falls.  With the right board and a good deal of skill, you can catch and shred waves as well as all but the best surfers out there.

If you are a seasoned surfer, and don't mind struggling a bit as you adjust, you will probably be happier with a shorter AllWave in the long run, maybe the 8'3.  However, it might be a little hellish learning how to SUP on it.  The best scenario would probably be starting on the 8'10 and being prepared to buy a shorter one in a year or so. 

I'm keeping my 8'10 because it surfs well, sort of like a traditional longboard, but I use it only rarely.  I'm having the most fun on my 7'11, but I couldn't imagine learning how to SUP on it. 

If you are in the SoCal area, I would be happy to let you try my AllWave. 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 09:53:46 AM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 10:08:59 AM »
Welcome man,

I'd second the longer board to start. Generally it takes a season to "get" a board. I generally hold onto a board for a couple of years since I only get out once a week or so. Buying used is great as you can get a good chunk of your money back after but with the Allwaves you can likely just sell it to someone who's starting etc.

The paddling, standing and getting out will be your main issues, as was mentioned but with the new boards, you will have a chance to change the perception of SUS'ing in your area. It's not just barges catching sets and falling anymore. ;)  Glad to have another solid surfer in the water. Every good one changes the perception a little more.

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 10:23:41 AM »
My Allwave 8'10 is what made me progress from "kook who sits outside of the proners, catches waves then falls", to learning how to surf. I also rarely use it now and am having a blast on the Prowave 8'0.

supcymru

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 11:52:23 AM »
Hey EatCrow - welcome to the Zone!
I think that the 8'11 would be a good choice for you as it's super stable but also super fun too! I weigh about 85kg and floats me with ease.  I was out yesterday in clean 3ft surf and had a great time. Compared to when I (used to)  prone surf I'm catching so many more waves and surfing better. There were 3 other prone surfers out yesterday about 150m away from me and I was catching waves a little bit earlier than them.
With regard to your paddle,  try to avoid getting a cheap adjustable paddle. I bought one and within a few months I bought a fixed one and there's no comparison between the two. Unfortunately I have no experience of the better quality adjustables but I'm sure you'll get some good advice here.
I'm sure you be stoked with SUPing!

supthecreek

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 01:19:09 PM »
Hi EatCrow... ha ha... love it, we all do that!
Welcome to the Zone, nothing we excel at better than giving advice :D

You are much lighter that I am, so it's a bit hard to figure size advice. (I am 225 and find the 8'10 super stable, even in winter gear)

All I can say, is I have always been a huge believer in the Allwave, because they are both stable and surf very well. 
The smaller Allwaves (new ones, 8'5, 8'3 and 7'11) are beginning to come in this month. JimK at "Extremewindsurfing" may have some available now or soon.... he is a site sponsor that offers 20% off to all Zoners... which makes the Allwave in HRS a very affordable, quality board.

At your weight, I think you would be ok on a used 8'10 or 8'11 ... or the new 8'5 when they come in. If you put in some time learning the basics by paddling on flat-water for a few sessions to get your balance worked out. Everyone has a humbling first day in the surf, but if you are a good surfer, you will progress quickly after the 1st few really kook days.

I have a friend in Va... that may be willing to meet with you for a paddle demo... I think he still has an older 8'10 Allwave. It's important to at least get on a board, just to see what it all feels like. Flat-water is super easy, and a great place to start.

Most adjustable paddles are heavy and take on water... not great for surf and can damage a board easier. You can probably rent an adjustable from your local shop, to find out what length you like. You can start with an affordable carbon/glass paddle then use it as a backup to the good paddle you will buy next year.... probably around 85 sq in.

When you take the plunge into the surf... go to a soft, empty break. It less humiliating that way, and less dangerous. Keep the paddle away from the board when you fall... they are not cheap and the board will break them.

Have someone video your first session.... great for a laugh and memory's of the humble beginning we all shared.

Keep us in the loop... and be prepared to be more stoked than you have in years!!!

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 02:06:42 PM »
Welcome to the club!

I had to switch from prone to stand up last year due to shoulder surgeries and a blown L4/L5.  To tell you the truth, I'm having more fun doing stand up than my last few years of prone.  It's a new challenge and if you love surf gear, there is even more to fiend over with SUP gear!  (and it seems like there is a bit of a renaissance with SUP shapes these days....shorter/wider performance shapes, SIMSUPs, Tomo-influenced boards, etc).  From everything I've heard, the Allwave is a pretty safe bet.  I'd also recommend looking at the new 8'5" coming out (updated shape).  If you have good experience surfing, your learning curve on a stand up will be short.  If you were a custom surfboard junkie like me, I'd recommend looking into some of the trusted SUP shapers: King's, Infinity, L41, SUP Sports (there are also some other good ones out there).

If you are diving in to stand up, skip the adjustable paddle.  Go with a good carbon paddle by Kialoa, KeNalu, or one for the others.  It makes all the difference having a good light paddle (especially if you are dealing with shoulder issues).  There are lots of amazing reviews of the KeNalu Konihi 84 with the xTuf shaft.  The extra flex of the shaft and the reduced flutter of the blade from the winglets are said to be easier on the shoulders.  I haven't tried one yet, but am going to order one up this month.

As for sizing your paddle, I read somewhere on one of these forums that a physiotherapist who paddled recommends this way to size your paddle to minimize shoulder strain: stand on your board and submerge your paddle to where the blade meets the shaft.  At that point, your handle should be shoulder height.  This sizing method (as opposed to how many inches overhead) takes into account how long the blade is under the water (ie a short blade and a long blade should have the same length shaft, but would measure differently in inches overhead).

I back Creek's recommendation of contacting JimK.  He can set you up with an Allwave for an amazing price, and can connect you with the right paddle for the right price (but I can't stress enough how important a light paddle is if you have shoulder issues).
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 02:27:17 PM »
Some here may disagree, but I vote for buying a cheap adjustable paddle to start with for several reasons.  1. You can get one cheap on Amazon for $50 or $60.  2. Yes, they are terribly heavy, but they are pretty indestructible.  You will beat your first paddle up, probably.  3. You can play with the length until you find your perfect fit.  4. You can always hang onto the cheap paddle as a backup and to loan to friends.

Once you are comfortable with the size and length you want, you can invest the $300 to $500 needed to get an awesome paddle and know exactly what size and length you want.  I love my super light, expensive, carbon paddle, but I'm glad I waited. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 03:07:08 PM »
Zooport, I think your suggestion is a good one in general, but if EatCrow is playing with a compromised shoulder, a heavy paddle could be the kiss of death.  I had to borrow a friend's heavy adjustable paddle for a session and my shoulder paid the consequence (but I've had multiple surgeries so on the suck scale, mine really suck). 

Again, this recommendation is specific for someone dealing with post-surgical shoulders.  If you really want to dial in on size, the KeNalu paddles allow you to stick the blade, shaft and handle together with a glue gun.  You can start with a longer shaft and then cut down in small increments until if you feel like you have hit a sweet spot.  It only takes a hairdryer to pull them apart to re-cut. 

But, if your shoulders aren't an issue with paddling, you could go with an adjustable paddle to start.  My enjoyment on the water is so much higher with a nice paddle though that I wouldn't even consider a heavier paddle as a backup.  You can get a top notch carbon for under $200 if you hunt (check out the factory seconds on the KeNalu site).

Man, I sound like I'm a sales rep for KeNalu!  I have no affiliation with any brands or any stores.

The only thing better than surf gear is surfing.

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 03:13:39 PM »
I think adjustable paddles are a great way to go and there are several lightweight options to choose from. I personally use the Naish Makani Vario 8.0 and 8.5 for SUP surfing. I have progressively gone down from 75" to 69". I go short while surfing then shift on the fly to longer when I have to paddle some distance to a break. Also useful when I have a GoPro mounted and it adjusts for other people to use while on the water. With shoulder issues, it's nice to be able to adjust and experiment with different lengths to see what's comfortable. Keep in mind that as your stroke technique progresses the length paddle may change as well.

Also look at Kenalu's site. You can get a light xTuf paddle with the UD quick clamp adjustable shaft for $208. Or the adjustable Elite carbon for $280. I'd jump on those deals. I'm not sure why some people think all adjustable paddles are heavy.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 03:19:11 PM by SaMoSUP »

EatCrow

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 04:19:00 PM »
Thanks, a lot of good advice.I'm four months out of the water at this point waiting to heal, so I have lots of time to drool and crave. I like having a new toy waiting though, motivation for PT is much easier

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2014, 06:15:29 PM »
Hey,

Glad to see you are open minded enough to see all the fun we are having and I'm thrilled you'll be joining us.

Anyway thought I'd chime in on the Fanatic AllWave I agree with the crew here that the 8'11 is the way too go. To small can be no fun FAST. The NEW 8'11 is looser and faster rail to rail than the older 8'10 but it still retains all the stability and wave catching/wave making speed the Fanatic AllWave is known for. The standard HRS (Epoxy sandwich) is reasonably light and SUPER durable. In 2015 Allwaves are offered in HRS and the proven LTD (a carbon/wood sandwich which is significantly lighter and stiffer (Giving a SUPER CHARGER Feel to the AllWave. Also all the 2015 LTD AllWaves have a 5 fin options which offers even more refined feel to thi great design. Although I still prefer the stock thruster setup.

As far as Adjustable paddles I again agree with the crew that the KeNalu, Kialoa are great options But Nextsport (US importer of Fanatic) has a great 3K carbon adjustable paddle that is worth considering.

Finally most of the guys here got their AW's through me at Extreme windsurfing up the coast from you in NJ. I have a bunch of guys in the tidewater area that love their AllWaves.So I would like to extend to you our
ZONER DISCOUNT (pretty significant discount)on Fanatic or any products we carry If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me or if you'd like a quote please email me at jim@extremewindsurfing.com

Talk to you soon
JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

EatCrow

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 02:53:32 AM »
Okay question on the Kenalu paddle. It looks like I can piece together an adjustable paddle, and then once I have the length dialed in I can make it a fixed paddle by removing adjustable piece and gluing together correct?

Also JimK I will definitely be emailing you later today with a few questions. That's a heck of a discount, and you look to be the closest Fanatic dealer, AND you used the name Tidewater. Us life long Virginia Beach locals award points for anyone who uses that name over Hampton Roads:)

This forum also wins points for being positive. I've spent time on prone forums, and the level of negativity and trolling that goes on is sad.  Most seem to not only have bad attitudes towards alternative wave riding craft like Sups, Mats, Sponges, kneelos, and the like but also towards one another. This forum is a nice change.

supthecreek

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 05:52:31 AM »
Eating crow is not so bad huh? ;D

You can buy a Ke Nalu with the "Extended ErgoT" which has a 10" neck that can be repositioned with a heat gun.
It isn't as instant as an adjustable, but it is a great way to start with a top quality paddle and have the ability to dial in to the correct length for you.
It's always a "fixed" paddle... with the ability to adjust to another "Fixed" length.
Assembling them together with "Hot Glue" instead of Epoxy is the beauty of the system.
If you run over your blade in the parking lot, just buy a blade and replace it.... no need to buy an entire new paddle.

Both my Ke Nalus have the extended T handle... nice way to keep my options open as the years go by.

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2014, 09:14:53 AM »
You can buy a Ke Nalu with the "Extended ErgoT" which has a 10" neck that can be repositioned with a heat gun.

Yep.  What he said ^.

This forum also wins points for being positive. I've spent time on prone forums, and the level of negativity and trolling that goes on is sad.  Most seem to not only have bad attitudes towards alternative wave riding craft like Sups, Mats, Sponges, kneelos, and the like but also towards one another. This forum is a nice change.

I couldn't agree more. 

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard