Author Topic: Toro de Oro - longest wave with a real punch in El Salvador  (Read 7326 times)

KeoniDominguez

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Toro de Oro - longest wave with a real punch in El Salvador
« on: November 28, 2014, 05:16:50 PM »
The longest soft wave in El Salvador is most likely El Sunzal, and the most consistent.
But the longest wave with a real punch in the country is Toro de Oro.
It is underrated because the shortboarders struggle with it, and they rather have something easier like Punta Mango or Las Flores.
Since there are only about 10 local guys that SUP in El Salvador, I have the wave for myself, so far.
But I would welcome help with SUP guys that have experience with jet skis. Not to tow-in, but for rescue operations. In El Salvador, there is no one with jetski experience in waves.

http://www.surfertoday.com/travel/11212-are-you-ready-to-ride-the-golden-bull-in-el-salvador

p06781

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Toro de Oro - longest wave with a real punch in El Salvador
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 05:46:06 PM »
Sounds really fun !

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 06:35:23 PM »
Great write up article on the spot.  Thanks

KeoniDominguez

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 04:14:56 AM »
Does anybody know about good brands and models for jetskis that can perform well in rescuing surfers in waves? A friend of mine recommended Polaris, Bombardier from SeaDoo. But for parts and maintenance he told me Yamaha are the best.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 06:02:19 AM »
You got a nice setup there, thanks for the info.  That area under the first peak does look dicey on a big day, a ski would go good.

I just read a comment like, "you should see the new 4 strokes" referring to ski's, somewhere here?

KeoniDominguez

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 10:28:03 PM »
The owner of Hacienda Toro de Toro is very likely to open a campground in March 2015. It is going to be right in front of El Majahue beach break that can handle crowds. This beach break will be good for waves between 1 - 5 feet. When the waves get bigger, people will be able to take a horse to go to right hand point break Toro de Oro like 3/4 a kilometer away.

KeoniDominguez

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 01:30:30 PM »
Toro de Oro one day before getting hit by a small sporadic Summer swell

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 02:10:57 PM »
Does anybody know about good brands and models for jetskis that can perform well in rescuing surfers in waves? A friend of mine recommended Polaris, Bombardier from SeaDoo. But for parts and maintenance he told me Yamaha are the best.

I know I'm stating the obvious, but choosing the right ski, especially new with warranty, might come down to what's locally available in parts and service. 

Don't get ski on my behalf though, I'll be happy surfing that second break (with the sandy beach) for sure!  Looks like a great spot.

SupSurfIsSurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 10:16:33 PM »
The longest soft wave in El Salvador is most likely El Sunzal, and the most consistent.
But the longest wave with a real punch in the country is Toro de Oro.
It is underrated because the shortboarders struggle with it, and they rather have something easier like Punta Mango or Las Flores.
Since there are only about 10 local guys that SUP in El Salvador, I have the wave for myself, so far.
But I would welcome help with SUP guys that have experience with jet skis. Not to tow-in, but for rescue operations. In El Salvador, there is no one with jetski experience in waves.

http://www.surfertoday.com/travel/11212-are-you-ready-to-ride-the-golden-bull-in-el-salvador

I'm going with a group of short boarders to las Flores and Punta mango is that not good for sup?

Any tips?

I'm on a 7'4" and deal with anti sup here in California so I'm ok in a line up where I'm the only sup or one other.  But some places will really flex even if you are good enough to mix in.

What other breaks do you recommend near that area also?

Thanks any and all tips would be appreciated.

Wavestorm 9'6" (Reitred)
Riviera nugg 9'2" (Retired)
Coreban Vibe 8'0" (Retired)
Infinity Blurr 8'2"
J Sleigh 7'4"
Beater Bord 9'0"

KeoniDominguez

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 10:16:50 PM »
In El Salvador, the place where you might get hassled with your SUP for no particular reason is Punta Roca.
Las Flores, Punta Mango and Toro de Oro are excellent venues for SUPs, and as long as you are a decent rider, no one is going to hassle you. If you are bringing smaller SUP than 8 feet, make sure it is stable. When the winds pick up after 10 am, it can be painful on the legs.

SupSurfIsSurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 10:54:41 PM »
In El Salvador, the place where you might get hassled with your SUP for no particular reason is Punta Roca.
Las Flores, Punta Mango and Toro de Oro are excellent venues for SUPs, and as long as you are a decent rider, no one is going to hassle you. If you are bringing smaller SUP than 8 feet, make sure it is stable. When the winds pick up after 10 am, it can be painful on the legs.

Just saw this forget my last question on the other thread.

Thanks dude!!
Wavestorm 9'6" (Reitred)
Riviera nugg 9'2" (Retired)
Coreban Vibe 8'0" (Retired)
Infinity Blurr 8'2"
J Sleigh 7'4"
Beater Bord 9'0"

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 08:55:26 AM »
What direction do the winds blow after 10:00 am relative to the wave face?

Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

abmatt

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 10:06:14 AM »
Onshore, most days. I was there back in '99. It was the Best Trip Ever, even with the early onshores. After 4 to 5-hour morning sessions at Las Flores with no one else out (this was way before the hotels), we were quite happy. And one wave at Punta Mango still sticks in my memory as quite possibly the best wave I have ever had, and that includes growing up near Rincon in SB.

Las Flores is an ideal SUP wave for skilled surfers, though I'm sure what the crowd vibe is like these days.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 10:31:49 AM »
Do those onshores happen all year? Is there an evening glass off?

Onshore, most days. I was there back in '99. It was the Best Trip Ever, even with the early onshores. After 4 to 5-hour morning sessions at Las Flores with no one else out (this was way before the hotels), we were quite happy. And one wave at Punta Mango still sticks in my memory as quite possibly the best wave I have ever had, and that includes growing up near Rincon in SB.

Las Flores is an ideal SUP wave for skilled surfers, though I'm sure what the crowd vibe is like these days.
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

abmatt

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2015, 12:38:19 PM »
Magentawave,
My experience is limited but from I saw and have read it's a fairly reliable onshore -- but certainly not every day -- for a good part of the year. Not necessarily all that heavy though? Probably not bad enough to ruin the waves, either, though SUP might get tougher. We had some brief glass-offs when we were there, right before dark.

I wonder if in the winter months it gets some of those all-day offshores that Nicaragua/northern Costa Rica gets? Keoni no doubt knows more ...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal