Author Topic: Downwind vacation to the Gorge - tips?  (Read 2756 times)

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Downwind vacation to the Gorge - tips?
« on: November 28, 2014, 08:49:39 AM »
After hearing a lot about the great downwind conditions in the Gorge, it's my likely destination for a downwind vacation (or maybe Maui as an alternative). Any tips on:
- Best time to go for downwind conditions
- Launch and take-out locations
- Places to rent nice downwind boards
- Places to stay (nothing fancy since I'll hardly be inside, except to sleep)
- Ideas for other things to do while there (ideally something that can be done in addition to a downwind run on the same day)

Thanks.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Downwind vacation to the Gorge - tips?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 09:15:22 AM »
After hearing a lot about the great downwind conditions in the Gorge, it's my likely destination for a downwind vacation (or maybe Maui as an alternative). Any tips on:
- Best time to go for downwind conditions
June through September are considered the prime months, usually August is excellent and the Gorge Paddle challenge is generally around August 19-20. You'd like that. Most of the world's great SUP racers gathered in one little town. Great event, superbly organized.

- Launch and take-out locations
There's a shuttle (nine passenger van and trailer) between the Event center and Viento park, but there are lots of alternative spots on both the Oregon and Washington sides. In prime time the shuttle runs multiple times per day, but it's good to get a reservation early. It fills up.

- Places to rent nice downwind boards
Big Winds. They have everything. About 150 boards in their rental fleet last time I looked, and lots of downwind stuff--SIC, Naish, Starboard, Amundsen. You can mix it up and try a lot of boards. When I was trying to find a 14' board that would trim with my 240 pounds I hauled seven 14' race boards from their storage building at the event center down to the water to demo them. And that wasn't anything we arranged, I just randomly decided to do that. Helpful folks.

- Places to stay (nothing fancy since I'll hardly be inside, except to sleep)
You can camp at Viento park, though it's noisy--highway on one side and train tracks on the other, and its often full up anyway. The Vagabond is a good, cheap motel that's generally clean and comfortable.

- Ideas for other things to do while there (ideally something that can be done in addition to a downwind run on the same day)
It's Hood River. There's more going on every day than anyone can handle. Mountain biking, great hiking, whitewater, fishing, skiing (yes, even in August) hang gliding, parasailing, windsurfing and kiting, great restaurants, and the most breweries per capita of anywhere in the world. Weird, but true. Insanely fun place. Give a yell when you're coming and we'll do some runs. I go every day that there's wind, and there's wind pretty much every day.

Thanks.
-You're welcome.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 09:48:08 AM »
Thanks great info - thanks Bill. Not only great downwind conditions there, but also great supporting infrastructure. Sounds perfect. I was originally planning to come by myself or with a downwind buddy or two (to maximize downwind time), but it sounds like it could also be fun for my wife and kids (age 13 and 11).

I'll give you a shout when I get there.

Blue crab

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 09:55:45 AM »
Argosi, HR is a great place for a family trip.  It is actually possible to get a downwind and hike in on the same day. This one is world class: http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org/wiki/Cooper_Spur_Hike 

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 01:16:31 PM »
Argosi, HR is a great place for a family trip.  It is actually possible to get a downwind and hike in on the same day. This one is world class: http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org/wiki/Cooper_Spur_Hike

Looks like a beautiful hike.

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 01:20:18 PM »
I'm wondering what time of day the winds blow in the Gorge. Is it windy the whole day or is does it turn on and off at certain times like a thermal wind?

Also, anyone know where I can find some wind stats for the Gorge? I want to be there for a week when the probability of consistent wind is highest.

laszlo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 01:36:18 PM »
The wind can blow all day, and often it does. Some days will blow part of the day, and it's not consistent whether it will be early or late. You try to be available to go when it gets good.

Try Iwindsurf.com for the wind stats. Check for a site called Swell City.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 01:39:10 PM by laszlo »

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 02:37:31 PM »
The wind can blow all day, and often it does. Some days will blow part of the day, and it's not consistent whether it will be early or late. You try to be available to go when it gets good.

Try Iwindsurf.com for the wind stats. Check for a site called Swell City.

Thanks. Here are the wind stats by month for Swell City: http://www.windalert.com/en-us/Search/ViewResults.aspx#45.714,-121.568,13,1,!440,8
June, July, and August are the windiest months with July being a bit windier than the other months.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 07:48:05 PM »
July is generally excellent. I know August has less wind on a year to year basis, but I've always considered it more reliable. things change in the gorge, mostly driven by weather at the coast and in Portland. If portland has a crappy summer we're all smiles (but we never say anything about that, those Portlanders get bitter).

Hood river is excellent for family vacations, especially if your family is sports minded. Excellent bicycling, both road and mountain biking.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard