Author Topic: Interesting report on the European SUP market  (Read 3379 times)

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
Interesting report on the European SUP market
« on: November 25, 2014, 11:55:45 PM »
This is a report on the European market with board sales estimates. 
A few tidbits: the European market is still 5 years behind the US market, is dominated by former windsurf brands, inflatables outsell hardboards, estimated sales volume in the range of 75,000 boards.

http://www.boardsportsource.com/#!/article/stand-up-paddle-market-overview
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting report on the European SUP market
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 01:09:04 AM »
Seems about right. But it perhaps underestimates the proportion of sales of hard boards in the long run - it is looking at the market as it is now rather than in 5 years. Most people who get into the sport on an inflatable progress to a hard board if they stick with the sport. And then multiple boards will follow. So as the market matures over time, with proportionally fewer new entrants and proportionally more experienced SUPers, so the demands for equipment will likely change.

Also, if a viable new technology came along that would yield light and super-durable hardboards, that would change things considerably.

On the other hand, if inflatable manufacturers found a way to create proper rails and rocker for inflatables then they would completely dominate the market. Similar perhaps might be the effect of inflatable categories for international as well as local races.

So I think that the market might be more dominated by technological change than it might appear from this report. At least, once sales reach the point where it is economically viable to invest the time to develop new methods.

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 05:08:18 AM »
I found this part of the report below most interesting especially the part about high end vs. mass market. The mass market is likely what would drive/consume the inflatable market, and hence the whole SUP market as well, since it mitigates the storage and transport barrier to entry for many people wanting to get into SUP. Seems like it would be smart marketing to up the cool factor image of inflatables.

"SUP for most people is a destination driven sport; paddling somewhere and enjoying the outdoor air and fitness benefits. This market is easily put off by over specified technical product and extreme performance marketing. While there is of course room for the high end of the sport to develop it should not be done at the expense of the mass-market consumer."

supnorte

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP Norte
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 08:50:01 AM »
As a European dealer (http://supnorte.com/) I've found this article very useful. When I first started SUPing there was no one around and people I would talk to (mostly surfers) would said there was no future in SUP. Every day I see more people getting into it and it's such a great sport (both physically and mentally).

The thing with windsurfing and its decay was the difficulty in learning and also that it was so dependable on the wind factor. With SUP, everyone can do it: surfers, kiters, windsurfers and people with no previous experience in watersports or any outdoor sport.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 02:34:21 PM »
Windsurfing also lost the easy-going beginner's fun. You were either extreme or a loser.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 11:45:48 AM »
Great article, very interesting. If the sales volume is accurate the world market is much larger than I thought.

I think every former windsurfer has a bunch of ideas of why windsurfing kicked over. To me there's no surprise that it did, the only surprise is that it didn't recover to anything like stable business. The curve for new sports with a fad element is well documented. There's always a big peak associated with shelf space being filled at every place that thinks they can sell a few--channel packing. Then people learn "this is hard" and the stuff sits on the shelf, blocking out the retailer channel and choking the distributors.

SUP will follow a Kayak curve, for all the reasons mentioned plus the natural braking element of size. Just like Kayaks, a small retail shop can be overwhelmed by even a few.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SharkSUP

• Shark SUPs
  • Waikiki Status
  • High Quality Inflatable SUP Manufacturer
    • MSN Messenger - service@sharksups.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Shark+SUPs
    • View Profile
    • Shark SUPs
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 12:40:30 AM »
That is a great article! The market is getting bigger and bigger, more and more people participate in this great sport.
Mass market is huge, let more people know this sport and get their own SUP at affordable price is our mission. Still Long way to go.
Shark SUPs
Professional Inflatable SUP Manufacturer
www.sharksups.com

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal