Author Topic: Learning Shape 3dx  (Read 14802 times)

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Learning Shape 3dx
« on: November 25, 2014, 03:01:06 AM »
Just wondered if any one on here used shape3dx and could throw me a few tips?

I am drawing up a 12'6 with a recess deck but can't figure out how to round the rail around the recess as the 3d layer just chops into it ( I have used the paddle3 as a template to work from) can any one provide any help?

Many thanks

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Learning Shape 3dx
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 09:34:32 PM »
I'm interested too. Have you checked out video tutorials at their site? Also, whats the difference between Shape3D and Shape3DX?
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 10:57:42 PM »
Yes I have watched there's which are good but they could do with a few more on other little bits.

3d light is the free version and 3dx is the full version which you do get a lot more functions with. 

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 11:44:33 AM »
Shape3D needs to put a comparison of features chart on their site for the free version verses the paid version. I wrote and asked them whats the difference between the two and they said the ONLY difference is that the paid version does 3D views. Are you saying thats not the case? Can I design a board on the free version and email that file to a shaper?

Yes I have watched there's which are good but they could do with a few more on other little bits.

3d light is the free version and 3dx is the full version which you do get a lot more functions with.

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 12:21:17 PM »
Shape3D needs to put a comparison of features chart on their site for the free version verses the paid version. I wrote and asked them whats the difference between the two and they said the ONLY difference is that the paid version does 3D views. Are you saying thats not the case? Can I design a board on the free version and email that file to a shaper?

the 3d is important. Don't think you'll just make a file and send it off and get this perfect board cut. There are some learning curves that are best learned with someone that knows the program well. This was my experience
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 12:39:59 PM »
I'm not totally sure maybe it is just the 3d layers you don't get and the rest of the other things are related to the cnc option I got which in tern make the designing and geting it right a little easier.

I would love to sit down with some one to see how it's all done but there isn't a surfboard machine within 200miles so I'm stuck doing it the hard way!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 09:12:21 AM »
SupUK, find someone who can do a skype session with you.

We train people in my industry all over the world (I received most of my training from guys in the UK, actually.)

Also, if any of you need to share screens, you can use Teamviewer for a nice long trial and macs and PC's and linux machines can all share screens and control each other's systems. Really cool and a great way to learn. If you can find anyone to do a beginner class/tutorial online for a few of us at once, I'd be happy to host it via webex.

Any Zoners want to volunteer to give a 1 hour Zone shaper's tutorial on an app?

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 09:46:12 AM »
I am all in on a tutorial but I am way down the rungs on the beginner level. Everything I have come across keeps pointing to this or another program or two and the little bit I have tried was so overwhelmingly technical and intimidating I came out clueless and felt hopeless on just how to start.  I would even pay a small fee to just get my feet wet so I can feel I even have a clue on what to do.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 10:11:31 AM »
I'm nearly there on the basics now, struggling a little at geting a nice smooth rounded out fish tail at the moment but you can only do that with the full vershion and 3d layers. Best thing to do is down load some templates of the warehouse (if you can?) so you have a good starting point and then re scale them. I would be happy to do some on line help when I'm fully In control of things. I may allso offer a cutting survice as I know I have the largest machine for boards in the uk.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 10:38:18 AM »
these are the two I have been working on

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 03:59:08 PM »
Where is this "warehouse" thing you mentioned?

Best thing to do is down load some templates of the warehouse (if you can?) so you have a good starting point and then re scale them.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2014, 04:01:07 PM »
That's a sweet looking ride. I can't wait to see what you design and cut over there.

We'll give you some time and then let's set up a Saturday am/UK evening to do a into tutorial for us newbs. You can invite some UK folks and maybe get some cutting customers out of it.

Just an hour long session on the free version should get most of us started.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2014, 11:36:31 PM »
Where is this "warehouse" thing you mentioned?

Best thing to do is down load some templates of the warehouse (if you can?) so you have a good starting point and then re scale them.

It's on the web page and it is a catalog of hundreds of shapes people have made and up loaded. Some are ok others need some fine tuning. Again not sure if you have that with the free vershion ?

Fanman

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 08:41:24 PM »
My son and I used the free version on Shape 3D. He shaped himself a board for his Xmas gift (dad paid). It is in getting glassed now! He is a graphic designer, so he also worked on a logo and a graphic for the board!
Fun stuff, after sending the design in to get cut at the factory, the cutter had us make just a couple small changes so the board would come out right. All in all it was really easy to use!

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2014, 04:56:00 AM »
that's great it has been a lot of fun playing with it and getting to grips with it now myself however still struggling with fish tails but you cant do that on the free version. The things you have to look for when cutting are that the nose and tail points have a thickness and a width and that you have defined the rails and the apex points correctly other than that it seams quite straight forward. If you don't mind me asking what were you charged for the cut and what sort of quality did it come out ? I cant quite see from the picture as it is low res. best regards

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard