Author Topic: Mini-Downwinds. What's your shortest downwind run?  (Read 5408 times)

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
Mini-Downwinds. What's your shortest downwind run?
« on: November 24, 2014, 05:32:04 AM »
Ours is a 2km (1.24miles) downwind run, with a 2km (1.24mile) paddle out which takes around 30 minutes end to end, and is our regular dawn or dusk patrol downwind run before or after work. Here is the last 2mins or so in a light wind day on a friend's old Naish Glide V1.... It actually hums like my old windsurf gun in the 80s when its cranking...

http://youtu.be/x0sHvSe56yw
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

balance_fit

• Peahi Status
  • Simple, not easy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Mini-Downwinds. What's your shortest downwind run?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 06:27:24 AM »
We have a spot where the wind and swells howl through a narrow opening from the open ocean, allowing for a 2-300 meter or so downwind run, depending on wind/tide direction, and a semi protected return upwind, all of which sums up to 750 mts per lap.   When no shuttle peer is available, this is the place to go for a multi lap workout.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 06:32:14 AM by balance_fit »
Bic Wing 11' x 29"
Bark Commander 12' x 20" 
Walden Magic 10'
Other tools for mental and physical sanity not mentioned

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 11:54:18 AM »
Depending how hard the breeze is blowing we do 0.5 mi to 2 mi out and backs.  Very fun when in need of a quick DW fix.

Our normal DW runs are between 5 to 12 mi long and are avail all year long.  Yesterday I dumped in icy cold water to my wife's chagrin - but no harm as our warm head to toe neoprene gear works awesome.  :)

Here are a couple of pics showing the beautiful conditions we always can find -
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Pierre

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 03:57:28 PM »
I often paddle on the river channel down my home,when tidal current runs against wind... it can give good bumps and allows me paddling against quite strong wind, generally about 0.8 to 1.5km in and out... ( 0,5 to 1mile).
I can make several turns, generally about 5 or 6 for a 1,5 hr session.
some view of the playground
\HF/- Hi-Fun Hydroworks / custom boards,BZH, since 1982  /  *Link Removed*

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 04:03:48 AM »
Balance-fit, Eagle and Pierre. Great to see your mini-downwind spots. Just shows, there is no need for long runs or Maui like conditions to have a lot of fun and have a great workout at the same time ;)

It's getting darker here in the mornings and I went out yesterday with a friend on the same run I showed in the original post. We arrived at 6am at the put in spot and it was only then that I realised, WO, it's pitch black. I checked online on my phone and realised sunrise was at 6.45am. We were cursing, as it was low tide and had to walk out in near complete darkness through light mud and stranded boats with buoys and ropes lying everywhere and wind blowing our boards around. Not something you want to be doing with fragile boards. We paddled out in the dark and what was interesting is we could not see the gusts /squalls coming at all. The sea was completely black and featureless.. I had the GoPro with me and switched it on when we could see the surface of the sea which was at 6.15am and the start of the downwind leg. For the first 7 mins the footage is virtually black with a few lights in the distance. We arrived at the end beach at 6.35am with a nice glow behind us as the sun was starting to rise. Awesome way to start the day!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 04:06:08 AM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Stand Up Pittsburgh

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 06:58:50 AM »
Here's an area you never thought of downwinding. We do our downwinders on the Ohio River about 10 miles down river of Pittsburgh, PA. We are in the first pool. Our downwinders range from 1.5 miles to 5 miles. The best is the wind coming out of the NW. We paddle against the current and start at the dam when running a shuttle. Depending on conditions we either paddle up wind and come back with the wind or run a shuttle system when the wind is howling.

Blue crab

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 09:01:44 AM »
This is a great thread. While certain locations (SA, Maui, Hood River) are king, it is clear that there is great DWing to be had virtually everywhere with water. I am going to start planning my business trips around locales where I might get in a run, and the list seems to be growing.

Here is a map of some of our local downwind runs. It has a been a blast discovering new areas to paddle.  On the left is Puget Sound which is salt water. The red runs are northerlies which usually occur in the summer or on cold, dry winter days. The greens are southerlies which are usually winter storms. The longest included runs are 9-10 miles but within these courses, there are innumerable 2-5 mile runs. Each course has a different character with unique views, currents and challenges. There are more great runs north of the city which aren't on the map for space reasons.

Lake Washington is a fresh water lake on the right. I did this well known southerly run for the first time yesterday and it was awesome. Generally less technical than Puget Sound with consistent knee to waist high rollers akin to the end portions of the Viento Run.

The blue arrow is a westerly run that we discovered last year. Total game change for me as it is 2 minutes from my house to the put in and can be down as an upwind downwind cycle even on days with >35 knots. The swell is clean and large.  There is a little eddy that runs along the beach on these days and it is easy to cycle back to Alki point.  Therefore, I'll often cycle this 3-4 times after work when I don't have a partner & / or time for a shuttle to get my fix.

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 02:22:38 PM »
The downwind run I do most often is an out and back where much of the upwind portion is in sheltered flat water. The attraction is that you paddle upwind in exposed waters for about 1 mile, yet get the fun of a 2.3 mile downwinder (and also another 1.5 miles upwind in sheltered waters).  The launch is just a few minutes away from downtown Toronto. We have the benefit of Toronto Island near us. It's by far, the most convenient downwinder I do. It works great in winds of 15-25mph. Beyond 25mph, the 1 mile upwind paddle in exposed waves gets challenging.

In a SW wind, the first part of the upwind paddle is in exposed upwind waters. We then tuck into the sheltered narrow lagoons of Toronto Island for the rest of the upwind paddle in flat water (still some wind though, but easy to paddle against since there are no waves in the narrow lagoons). We then portage about 200 yards and then go downwind for about 2.3 miles. The total paddling distance is about 5 miles. There are some pretty good sized waves on about half of the downwind run where the water is shallower on the south side of the Island. This route is a great way to get in a quick downwinder without the need for a partner or a car shuttle.

Here's a map:

Here's a video from a few years ago of the reverse route in a NE wind:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYDynUZvaDc

balance_fit

• Peahi Status
  • Simple, not easy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 12:30:03 PM »
It's great to see how the mini-downwinder crew design their courses.

The courses shown on this thread are great ! They ease the shuttling burden and open up opportunity to explore new shores, even using tidal currents and seasonal wind changes at the paddler's advantage.

With these ideas, i've re-drawn some older courses that were very shuttle dependent, and made them up and down courses which mostly eliminate the need for shuttling.

I still keep some of the very best shuttle dependent downwind courses, but now, some new courses are in agenda for the windy season.

Keep posting !
Bic Wing 11' x 29"
Bark Commander 12' x 20" 
Walden Magic 10'
Other tools for mental and physical sanity not mentioned

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 12:59:49 PM »
The downwind run I do most often is an out and back where much of the upwind portion is in sheltered flat water. TWe then tuck into the sheltered narrow lagoons of Toronto Island for the rest of the upwind paddle in flat water (still some wind though, but easy to paddle against since there are no waves in the narrow lagoons). We then portage about 200 yards and then go downwind for about 2.3 miles.

That is great to have the protection of an island and the ability to walk across.
I remember a few years back taking a plane to Ottawa from the island airport. Great to cut on traffic.
We have a couple of islands on the Fraser river but the area is very industrial with barges and log trains and an extremely strong current which would likely negate any upwind/downwind . Not great.
In Howe Sound there are more possibilities from upwind/downwind with thermal wind changing direction before mid-day (mostly during the summer) or cutting a little bit the upwind by paddling close to the rocky cliffs.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 05:32:35 PM »
Here's a Strava segment showing my local downwind run on a nearby lake - it's usually from 5-6k's.  It was from a fairly light  wind day, about 15knots, which is just enough to catch glides... You can see the speed bursts - especially near the end at the max fetch.  Pretty easy going that day, but it can really build quickly for such a small lake.
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 02:41:09 PM »
Muskoka, those are some nice glides you got on your small lake. 13.5kph peak glide speed is pretty good on a small inland lake. On a 15 knot day on much bigger Lake Ontario, when I catch a bump, my speed is typically 11-13kph. When the waves are bigger (like 5 feet) and several bumps are linked, then faster speeds are possible.

You've got to get down here for a downwinder to check out some Lake Ontario bumps on a windy day.

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 02:46:08 PM »
The downwind run I do most often is an out and back where much of the upwind portion is in sheltered flat water. TWe then tuck into the sheltered narrow lagoons of Toronto Island for the rest of the upwind paddle in flat water (still some wind though, but easy to paddle against since there are no waves in the narrow lagoons). We then portage about 200 yards and then go downwind for about 2.3 miles.

That is great to have the protection of an island and the ability to walk across.
I remember a few years back taking a plane to Ottawa from the island airport. Great to cut on traffic.
We have a couple of islands on the Fraser river but the area is very industrial with barges and log trains and an extremely strong current which would likely negate any upwind/downwind . Not great.
In Howe Sound there are more possibilities from upwind/downwind with thermal wind changing direction before mid-day (mostly during the summer) or cutting a little bit the upwind by paddling close to the rocky cliffs.

Yes, the Island gives us many route options in multiple wind directions. We can downwind in SW (and NE), W (and E), and NW (but not SE) winds. We also have nice calm waters in the Island lagoons for something different on a nice day.

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 03:23:53 PM »
Muskoka, those are some nice glides you got on your small lake. 13.5kph peak glide speed is pretty good on a small inland lake. On a 15 knot day on much bigger Lake Ontario, when I catch a bump, my speed is typically 11-13kph. When the waves are bigger (like 5 feet) and several bumps are linked, then faster speeds are possible.

You've got to get down here for a downwinder to check out some Lake Ontario bumps on a windy day.

Argosi, if you look at the date you'll see it was 2 years ago, I'd just got my Glide v2.. I was still learning its nuances.  Lots of stalling and then taking off like a scalded cat.  I  lost some Strava data from this year, my average speed has been way better (9-9.5km/hr) in similar  conditions (15-20knots sustained).  Max speed was about 14-15km/hr.  Mary lake has pretty steep hills surrounding it especially at the North end. On a SW day, the wind gets funneled nicely and the bumps, though only maxing out at about a meter, are like corduroy. 
Biggest gripe is it ends way too soon. Though if I've got a car shuttle arranged I can easily get a 2nd run in - unless the wind dies or shifts. (Inland fickleness!)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 03:26:31 PM by Muskoka SUP »

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2014, 03:33:29 PM »
I should add that the very short period waves help to "railroad" the bumps, the nose can be touching the back of the next wave while still accelerating off the previous wave, it literally sucks the board along and up to the next wave, and so on. Bumpity Bumpity bump... Makes for nice long glides when you get the paddling timing down.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal