Author Topic: Can't decide - Laird or Lopez for a surf SUP in Waikiki  (Read 19763 times)

marvinhecht

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Can't decide - Laird or Lopez for a surf SUP in Waikiki
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2014, 03:52:30 PM »
Yes the Porsche already has sand in it. And an extra scratch when I bumped a fin against it once. Also, the last few days I've left it outside the garage while trying to repair my Frankenboard - bad when a newer hobby supercedes  another hobby.... I watched the movie "North Shore last night" again - and learned so much esp from the things Chandler was saying. It was fun to see both Gerry Lopez and Laird Hamilton in that movie playing Vince and Lance respectively. Also lent some old longboard movies from a friend and watching them soon to get a sense of what classic longboarding is like in contrast..

Also - one other board I love to ride is the Rusty 10" and 11" sup..
10"6 x 29" Gerry Lopez Big Darlin Surftech SUP
GL1 and GL2 quads
Hoe Nalu Carbon Paddle (Surfing)
QuickBlade 86 Trifeca Carbon Paddle (Flatwater)

marvinhecht

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2014, 03:58:22 AM »
rode a boardworks Rusty SUP today 30 x 10. pointy nose similar to the lopez. could hardly catch anything today at waikiki canoes. when i did it was an ultra short ride - wind blew me nearly to a halt. when i got back to moku rentals they siad it was the horrible wind, not me or the board. Nonethless--- is there some special trick to getting a small pointy board ONTO the wave?
GL1 and GL2 quads

marvinhecht

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2014, 11:53:01 PM »
Any thoughts on the proper method for getting onto a wave on a pointy-nose "performance" SUP such as the Lopez Big Darling 10"6 - vs one that is wider and rounder ?
GL1 and GL2 quads

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2014, 09:16:19 PM »
Set up closer to the peak and near a more critical section of the wave. Work less and let the wave do the heavy lifting. Get a good pivot turn down to help with positioning. More about pop than glide.

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2014, 05:01:55 AM »
Any thoughts on the proper method for getting onto a wave on a pointy-nose "performance" SUP such as the Lopez Big Darling 10"6 - vs one that is wider and rounder ?

check this thread out...
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,25697.0.html
Bunch of old shit

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2014, 08:17:17 AM »
Don't cheat. Straight take-off standing towards the tail; and then do a bottom turn. Angle take-off no turn boo hiss! And ALWAYS take one more paddle stroke.. 8)
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

marvinhecht

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2014, 02:48:51 PM »
Guys thanks!

The last few days I demoed the 11" Laird in red  with Gerrry Lopez Quads -- and it was my best experience overall.  Totally scored more long rides on waves than ever before in a single session - and did a couple of wide arching turns and direction changes on the wave.  The extra bit of length seems to help. I also did not think of balance at ALL (but my abs also weren't sore afterwards).  So at Surftech they said that on the Laird 11"0 vs the Laird 10'6 the the middle/wider section of the board is a little more forward, so that one does not have to step back as much. That could be it too. I do need to learn to step back more - that's for sure regardless. But once on the wave I was able to step forward to speed up once slowing down, and then step back in case I started pearling. Anybody compared the 11.0 vs 10.6 Laird specifically and have thoughts? The 10.6 would be new in the box but Blue and the 11.0 is nearly new and red. The 11.0 is a tad heavy carrying it around and won't quite fit into my Honda Odessey - but I'd mostly be locking it up at a Surf locker - so that would not mater too much. Thanks!! Pic below of the Red 11.0 model.

Don't cheat. Straight take-off standing towards the tail; and then do a bottom turn. Angle take-off no turn boo hiss! And ALWAYS take one more paddle stroke.. 8)
GL1 and GL2 quads

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2014, 03:37:00 PM »
I have the Pearson Laird Surftech 10'6" - I think it is a great all around board, but I've not ridden many others.
It turns great because of the pintail.  It is a good noserider but very difficult to get to the final foot of
the nose before the tail pulls out.  I surf it from 2 inches to double overhead.  I think it is the pintail, in part,
that allows it to surf size so easily.
I weigh about 175 currently.

But at 220 I think the 11' might be a better choice for you, at least initially.
You might outgrow it but it will be easier to progress and have fun on.
It should also be a bit easier to flat paddle to where you want to surf!

(caveat: I only tried the 11" once briefly before I purchased my 10'6"...which,
as a beginner back then, was much tippier but so much fun!)
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

marvinhecht

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2014, 05:47:01 AM »
Subber,

Ah yes - on my driver license (4.5 years ago) I was 172 lbs. Its all this great Hawaiian food (I love Kalua Pork) that has me a little higher now!!

Thanks for your thoughts. I demo'ed the 10.6 also and had almost as much fun and was almost as stable, but I had to think about balance more and did not nail 1/2 as many waves.

But it is interesting that the 11.0 is actually less wide (28.5 vs 28.75)  so possibly a little tippier for someone starting out. It also could have been that having quads on the 11'0 helped - then again there are others I have heard from in another forum that swear by 2+1 SOLUS fins, or 1 single massive fin. The one guy found that 1 single massive fin helped loosen the board up AND of course that helps nose-riding.

The 10.6 that I was able to demo only had the 2+1 slots and I was riding it with that. Is that what you have? I wonder if you put 1 single big fin - maybe getting your toes all the way to the nose.  Still debating... luckily the 10.6 that Surftech has does have the 4+1 configuration. Regardless of which one I end up with I'll be experimenting with every possible fin combination...
GL1 and GL2 quads

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2014, 07:10:41 AM »
That is the one I have - 3 boxes.
Had it about 4 years.

I do think it is 29.75 inches wide.

From a site:
10'6"  x  29.75"  x  4.38"  x  154 liters < I have this one.
11'0"  x  29.50"  x  4.38"  x  165 liters

I have accumulated quite a fin collection including some very large single fins.
I routinely get up to about a foot from the nose - any more, usually kerplunk.
Parallel stance nose riding is like a flying carpet!
It maybe if I tried more often for that last foot I could, but I surf in pretty cold
waters and like to stay dry.  Most of the time, I only fall into the water one or two times
per session.

I normally use one of the big single fins.  I also have some large 5.125" side bites and I
sometimes run it as a twin if the waves are small and mushy - less drag - or sometimes
a small single (7.5") - also less drag.  I can also slide around the top turns in those configurations.
I do wish I had the boxes to try it as a quad but I think my favorite would still be with the big single.

It maybe less effort to paddle the 11 and maybe
a bit easier to catch waves, especially if they are mushy.

If you are that comfortable on the 10'6" you might get that because as you progress
you balance will get better - & you might also drop towards your previous lower weight.

Either size would probably be a lot of fun.  They are great boards.

Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

bts

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2014, 06:39:57 PM »
FWIW, surfboard factory outlet out in westOahu has both of those lairds for less  than the closeout price listed on the surftech USA web site. You could always save your credit for a later purchase.

I've not ridden any of these boards.

For canoes, longer is better.  There are too many proners on 11+ boards at that break. If you want to stay out of the pack, you will need board length.

Big darling II is a newer design, with a more typical bottom contour. If I had to buy without demo, I'd go that route.

Credit at surftech distributor on queen st does not run out. I checked with them the other day, and I've still got rental credit from around 6 years ago.  You will use it sooner or later. I would try a couple other brands, just so you know what is out there. Maybe start with the naish 11 and c4 10-6.

marvinhecht

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2014, 05:00:21 AM »
Still deciding.. thanks for all the feedback.

I'll have to call the surfboard factory to see what they are going for. These would be going for about 1050 k in credit (give or take)  because that's the price of the other discounted Laird boards on Surftech's USA site.

I posted some pics in this thread:
 http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/Review/2013-Surftech-Laird-110-vs-106-vs-Lopez-106/
GL1 and GL2 quads

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2014, 06:29:34 AM »
Ok....I don't know who put the guard on the pintail in that last pic, but that's just wrong.

Be nice to shapers !

I'm barely over nose guards.

Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

marvinhecht

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2014, 04:50:13 AM »
 Surftech puts noseguards and tailguards on every demo board they rent. If I get this one, I thought it would be wise to keep them on... however you give me second thoughts. Does it interrupt the flow of water (on the front, or back) and therefore make the flow of water NOT what the shaper intended?

BTW latest update... had a lousy session re-testing the Laird 10.6 and almost picked up this Laird 11.0 but the guys at Surfech suggested I give the Lopez 10.6 Purple Big Darling one more try.. they put a set of V2 F4 quad fins on it to loosen it up even more than stock, and suggested I try the board on some steeper waves like at Ala Moana Beach Park (e.g. Tennis Courts, Concessions) vs the milder, less steep Waikiki waves at Canoes and Pops..... Will keep you'all posted.

GL1 and GL2 quads

marvinhecht

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2020, 04:37:40 PM »
Hey, it is many years later and I was re-reading my old thread, it is very interesting. In case anybody was waiting in suspense about what I decided on - it was the Lopez board. At the time it was the more challenging board, and helped me get a better ab workout, as well as better performance in the surf itself, which was my goal. While I miss the Laird 11.0, I think I made the right choice. Unfortunately I moved away from Hawaii (I know) back to Canada where I grew up. But I brought the board with me! Had to rent then buy a wetsuit, but Kincardine (Lake Huron) is my new "home" break. This 10"6 Lopez feels like a heavy oil tanker up here because the waves here are very small, high period, and all windswell. But this board still rocks! Now looking for a 9"3 or 8"8 SUP surf so I can catch these small waves better, and turn in time before the next one comes!!
GL1 and GL2 quads

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal