Author Topic: Love That New Board Smell  (Read 15349 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Love That New Board Smell
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2014, 02:01:07 PM »
The tail is more tucked, almost a pintail, and the rail in the back is rolled. It rolls side-to-side quickly. I think it will be a great board for a lot of people, but I'd like the V1 tail on it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Blue crab

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2014, 09:34:00 AM »
Coming to Maui in April (lessons already arranged with JR) and am wondering what the group thinks about renting a board with or without rudder.  I've been DWing about 2 years and definitely see progress. However, no experience yet with a rudder.  On the one hand, the banked glides sound incredible. On the other, it might me one too many variables for a first run on the Maliko or south side.  I'll probably rent a board all week and would love to meet the Maui crew. Thanks for the advice.

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2014, 11:40:01 PM »
Blue, the rudder is easy.  Takes a few minutes to get the basics.  Only problem is that it is hard to go back!

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2014, 12:20:09 AM »
Learning to use the rudder is easy, like SB says. Mastering it to extend your glides takes time. But, since you are going to go with JR, you will be with the best. That will greatly help your learning curve. It's also true that once you get used to having a rudder, going back to fixed fin is a real adjustment. You will get to love the rudder quickly.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2014, 07:24:47 AM »
It would be a good idea to ask Jeremy, though he's so polite he might not want to force you in a particular direction. So I'll just say you'll learn more with a rudder than without, and both SB and CS are right, learning a rudder is easy though matering it is a lifetime effort. There were eleven people finishing downwinders on boards at Makena yesterday afternoon when I got there, only one on a rudderless 14. Everyone else had 16-17 foot SIC boards.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Blue crab

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2014, 10:05:11 AM »
Thanks! Seems like the rudder is probably the way to go.  At minimum, I like the idea of having a bit of extra insurance in terms of getting back in. Doubt that I am athletic enough to figure out how to use the rudder to extend glides without massive amounts of practice, but maybe if I accidentally get it right once or twice, some muscle memory will kick in. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2014, 10:48:14 AM »
You'll be surprised, Jeremy is one hell of a good instructor. He'll have you reading water almost immediately and catching bumps by reading in the first lesson. The master.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2014, 08:11:36 PM »
I don't care what the conditions are like tomorrow--I'm going.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2014, 10:43:56 AM »
very nice!

over the last few years since I got more interested in board design and trying to figure what really works were I paddle I have been taking notes on rocker and shapes, today I finally got them all put on to cad so I could compare things side by side unfortunately I only have 3 dw 14' boards at the moment to really compare being the old naish glide the JL and the bullet V1, the results were not quite as some would expect.

All three have very similar curves with the main differences all coming in at the tail however over all the naish actually has the least rocker over all which is odd as it was always know to have a lot. The bullet comes in second with with 55mm (2 1/4)  more and the jimmy lewis has a huge 78mm (3")more than the naish again mainly in the tail.

obviously the rocker is effected by other thing but I find it very interesting especially how deceiving things can make it look. If any one feels like joining this comparison and fancies taking some measurements to compare I will happily add them to what I have so they can be compared just drop me a message and I will explain the best way.   

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2014, 11:23:40 AM »
Which Glide? The 12 was always flat, the second year Glide is too. I'd be surprised to find the first year glide 14 has less nose rocker than anything other than a windsurfer, but I've been fooled optically before.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2014, 11:25:38 AM »
it was 14' foot glide the all white one I believe that was the first year about 2010

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2014, 11:27:10 AM »
the 12' glide actually is exactly the same as the 14' rocker with the tail cut off if I remember right from my measurements

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2014, 05:06:05 PM »
Which Glide? The 12 was always flat, the second year Glide is too. I'd be surprised to find the first year glide 14 has less nose rocker than anything other than a windsurfer, but I've been fooled optically before.
The first Glide 12 is very heavily rockered, like the first Glide 14. I have one. The Mark 2 14ft Glide also has quite a bit of rocker, but not as much as the original Glide. The Glide 12 Mk2 was a very different board from the Mk 1 Glide 12, and was more of a recreational cruiser with a flatter rocker and an unusual hybrid planing/cutting nose. But it still had some rocker. At the same time Naish brought out a 12-6 board which was completely different from the Glide 12s, and was flatter than them I think.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2014, 01:43:15 AM »
supuk, are you scanning them in or taking measurements?

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2014, 02:09:27 AM »
supuk, are you scanning them in or taking measurements?

I have been taking measurements with a laser disto which I have now mounted to the cnc to give me a accurate datum to work from and also accurate measurements along the stringer so they are within 1mm.  I don't have any means of scanning yet but have started to do some research however it's a bit over my head I think (the cheap things that are on the market are not really suitable) more of a bill type thing I think. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal