Author Topic: I hear that cracking sound again  (Read 6493 times)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: I hear that cracking sound again
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2014, 01:29:34 PM »
I've broken a couple of Shaka Puu's over the last four years.  On each one, the break was in the same place on the shaft that OC described and always while paddling for a wave.  The simplistic way I choose to look at it is, if I never break a shaft, I'm probably carrying excess  paddle weight.   As long as the blade is in great shape, I'll keep sending them in to be re-shafted.

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2014, 07:05:20 PM »
I've been one of Kialoa's team paddlers/e'lele/ambassador for about 6 years, so take this with a grain of salt… I'm biased.  I've had two or three of every SUP paddle they've made, Methane, Shaka, Pipes, Toro and Hulu.  I did break a Toro, and admittedly it is a race paddle and I snapped it paddling for a wave while surfing.  It snapped completely right below my lower hand.  Back then, a whopping 3 years or 4 ago, they used an inflatable bladder inside the shaft during production.  They found this led to inaccurate wall thickness in the shafts.  Mine was probably a tad too thin at the point it broke.  Now they use a solid "plug" or cast so the wall thickness is completely consistent.  I now surf and down wind with the ultra light Hulu and haven't had a break.  I'm 190lbs and fairly powerful (at least in my mind.)  Cheers!
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2014, 06:11:28 AM »
I fell on a Methane - it wasn't their fault.  But, it's harder to splice. At the price of paddles, no more oval shafts for me.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2014, 06:56:48 AM »
All good points.

Not  "Blaming Kialoa'.....I just feel i have given those shafts an adequate evaluation for my surfing style, or lack therof.  Past the "3 strikes - you're out" mark   

2 of the blades are from 2008/2009, and were reshafted, the blades are still real good, so again i believe i take reasonable care of them, and I like them so much that to date i have not changed.

One of the lessons of this thread is that we (as a relatively young sport) are willing to accept a certain amount of breakage....across all brands.         I'm not sure that for the price of paddles that we should.      Windsurfing masts used to snap ALOT, and then some of the manufacturing/design/layup changed ....Now it's relatively rare.   Was pumped when Powerex started to make paddles, but that fizzled

I can live with a little more beef/weight.   Will stay with what i have until it goes, and my two Kialoa's now are recent issue.   I'll report back when one goes....hopefully not for a few years.   UV was a factor in one break i am sure as the glass was looking faded/ brittle,  although i usually keep them hidden  from sun.   

I'm a one, or two stroke for the wave guy....just how i like it...i wanna snap 'em....Dan Gable my all time sports hero
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

bts

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2014, 04:25:31 PM »
The 3k oval shaft looks different and feels stronger. They claim it is tougher as well on their site. And the gl oval carbon surf are on "holiday sale"...still lots of bucks but better than normal.

RunningBull

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2014, 04:47:05 AM »
I am having the same sensation with my kialoa methane. It is an occasional slight crack like a  tiny shard of glass being crunched underneath my feet. I have only had the paddle for six months but I have used it a lot. I assumed it was the joint loosening up so I would just have to re glue the blade into the shaft. Is by far the best paddle I have ever used but serendipitously ordered a ke nalu elite wiki, which I just assembled. My adjustable paddles got waterlogged when I surfedwith them.
9'1 Allwave, 9'8 nsp cocomat
Starboard whopper, 10'6 Flywave, J. Lewis Stun Gun 9'7, Merrick Surftech 9'1

Respect all styles

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2014, 07:41:11 AM »
I'm a one, or two stroke for the wave guy....just how i like it...i wanna snap 'em....Dan Gable my all time sports hero

Mine too. I went to grade school, junior high, and high school with him, as well as being on the same wrestling team in jr & sr high.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 07:51:05 AM by Tom »

Sup44

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2014, 08:20:47 AM »
I've snapped three Werners, all at the handle. One came close to injuring me. Is there a paddle that one doesn't have to worry about?

I don't know how you like quickblades but I have NEVER cracked them and I use them like crazy. Surf 4-5 times a week for hours at a time. I do use the fibergless though...Those have more flex
8'2 Mad Dog Naish
8'0 Starboard Pro
7'10 Hokua Naish

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal