Author Topic: Today's helmet cam downwinder.  (Read 3087 times)

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Today's helmet cam downwinder.
« on: November 20, 2014, 05:04:37 AM »
After the wind had been blowing a constant 30-35 knots between 8-10am we hit the water soon after 10am and the wind suddenly died to only about 20 knots..

It was still worth it with a few gusts along the way and there were plenty of small runners to chase down.

The music is brand new Bryan Ferry.. The first track off his new album..

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
Re: Today's helmet cam downwinder.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 04:38:12 PM »
Hi DJ. Great Vid as usual! What SIC Boards are your friends paddling? Looks like they have A.S.S?
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 05:14:44 PM »
Nice vid - anytime out on the water is a good time methinks :)

The kite boarders always seem to do close fly-bys when they see SUPs on the water.  In our area around 50% are on foils now - problem is they are so quiet in chop you have to keep a close eye out as you cannot hear them.

They are still a bit surprised to see SUPs surfing through their waters - as we only see them at the end of our DW runs as we near shore.  More curiosity than anything - often there are 50+ criss-crossing everywhere.

http://youtu.be/8DCEHRVZ7XU
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 02:20:28 PM »
Hi DJ. Great Vid as usual! What SIC Boards are your friends paddling? Looks like they have A.S.S?

Hi.. The big white and blue SIC is Jamie Mitchell's old board.. 17'4" I think.. Not sure if it's a custom or stock.. The red one is an old 30" wide hollow F16.. btw the reason he was lifting on the beach was to let us hear all the bits rattling around inside.. It seems like the internal battery or stringer has come loose.. Has anyone heard of this happening.. or know if it can be fixed???

Lakeshore1

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 06:03:31 AM »
Hi DJ... as always,  i love your DW videos, always fun to watch. Because of you, i am looking to ad a Naish Glide GS 14'x30" to replace my 404 Zeedonk Green Label 14' next year. You may recall that i bought an SIC F14 this year, and it has been an awesome board. I had a about 8-10 good downwinders on it this year. I am curious of the Naish, because there is only one dealer near me, but no one paddles DW type boards much. It's beginning to gain in popularity though.  I like the shape of the the GS, with the piercing nose, mostly because i like the piercing nose on my Zeedonk and how it cuts through the water. But the Zeedonk does not downwind very well because it's too narrow for me and the square rails combined with the nose don't seem to let me control it nearly as well as my SIC. In flat water my Zeedonk is  quite fast, but the SIC is not far behind. In DW situations, no matter what the wind strength,  the SIC is by far a faster board. I am wondering your thoughts on using the Naish GS 14'x30" to replace the Zeedonk for all conditions?  Do you have any way to compare the SIC F14 to the Naish? I am 6'4" tall and 225 pounds. If i move forward on the Naish, will the nose slice through the water like my Zeedonk?

Thanks

laszlo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 07:56:10 PM »

I have a hollow f16, and it had a rattle when I bought it. It was explained to me that the boards are built from two molds, top and bottom, and then glued together. Some of the glue forms a bead around this joint, on the outside they sand it off but inside they have to leave it. Pieces of this hardened glue break off and rattle around inside, but they cause no damage.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 05:38:46 AM »
Hi.. The big white and blue SIC is Jamie Mitchell's old board.. 17'4" I think.. Not sure if it's a custom or stock.. The red one is an old 30" wide hollow F16.. btw the reason he was lifting on the beach was to let us hear all the bits rattling around inside.. It seems like the internal battery or stringer has come loose.. Has anyone heard of this happening.. or know if it can be fixed???

Hi DJ, I have found the guys at SIC Maui really helpful on all sorts of issues, especially helping me with repairs on my F16 so far away from anyone who has ever seen a board like this. I'd shoot them an email and ask them what they think. If the board is not taking on water, and hasn't developed any soft spots, then maybe nothing needs to be done... As I posted earlier this year, a friend paddled his Bullet 17'4 without the drain plug in for 10kms and it filled almost entirely with water, so much so, we could not lift it out of the sea...and he still out paddled me on my F16.. These boards are pretty tough..
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal