Author Topic: almost thw wsorst thing that could happen to my paddling  (Read 9770 times)

Weeble

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: almost thw wsorst thing that could happen to my paddling
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2014, 08:00:02 AM »
Keep your chin up, stay positive and focus on your goals that you will not be denied.  It might take awhile to get there, but having a goal is extremely important when fighting thru health issues like this... you know, the same stuff that everyone is telling you.  Even so, do it!

Just a thought though... if you can't SUP, is there a possibility that you can get a prone board and at least still get out on the water?  My fiancee began to prone paddle after a shoulder surgery to strengthen the joint before she went back to SUP, and we have a friend that recently injured her back which caused nerve damage to one of her legs.  She now has "drop foot".  It's unknown at this point if that nerve will ever fully regenerate, but in the meantime she has taken up prone so that she can still get out on the water.  I've tried my fiancee's prone board, and it's definitely not easy, as you would think that laying down would take all balance issues away... but I find it more challenging than SUP... at least for me anyways.

Faster than some, slower than most....
2015 Boga Typhoon 14 x 25.5 Team Edition
2013 Laird Bark Race 14
2012 Fanatic Fly Race 12.6 (the white one)
2015 Fanatic Allwave 9.5/ 2013 Fanatic Allwave 9.10
Ke Nalu Konihi 95 on an Elite 90 Flex
Ke Nalu Molokai on an Xtuf
Maliko Blade that gets interchanged

SCruzSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2014, 09:46:52 AM »
Keep your chin up, stay positive and focus on your goals that you will not be denied.  It might take awhile to get there, but having a goal is extremely important when fighting thru health issues like this... you know, the same stuff that everyone is telling you.  Even so, do it!

and we have a friend that recently injured her back which caused nerve damage to one of her legs.  She now has "drop foot".  It's unknown at this point if that nerve will ever fully regenerate, but in the meantime she has taken up prone so that she can still get out on the water. 

Weeble
I had drop foot on the right and was  losing the left when I went in for back surgery about 14 months ago.  I couldn't lift myself off my heels for the longest time either.  Now thanks to physical therapy, daily exercise, you all and constant SUP - I can now lift, have alleviated the drop foot to a large degree, and SUS without pain (knock on wood).  But it has taken all of a year or more. 

Keep the faith, Celeste!
10' x 32"        Bill Foote  Triton
9'5" x 31"       Sunova Speeed
11'2" x 32"     Bill Foote 'Geezer Sled'

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2014, 03:07:08 PM »
We missed you. Glad to hear you're okay.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2014, 12:35:52 PM »
Celeste,  I hope my ex of many years does not see your post.  She gave me the non-kissing version of this virus and would be running to the Voodoo store to buy a doll to stick pins in ..the other head this time. 

Thankfully the 'worst thing' did not happen to you.  Recover soon.   

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2014, 05:51:04 PM »

Please take time to find and read, many times, this book: My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey, by Jill Bolte Taylor. The book tells the story of a neuro scientist who was affected by a stroke and how she describes, in excellent detail, the events from illness to full rehab.

Support your local shaper

goodfornothin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2014, 07:24:44 PM »
im not sure Humic Acid would work for you, but the studies are promising.  Cannabis would help any residual inflammation you are dealing with.

Herpes

"It is therefore concluded that it is possible to test the anti-viral effects of all four [VFI humic acid] compounds up to 500 ug/mL without any drug-related cytotoxicity." "Furthermore, three series of experiments were designed to explore the potential mechanisms of action. The first series of experiments demonstrated that all four compounds [of VFI humic acid] can inactivate both herpes simplex virus 1 and herpes simplex virus 2 infections with different anti-viral activities. The second series of experiments demonstrated that the compounds [of VFI humic acid] can protect cells against herpes simplex virus 1 and herpes simplex virus 2 infection. The third series of experiments demonstrated that the compounds [of VFI humic acid] can interfere with the proliferation of herpes simplex virus 1 and herpes simplex virus 2 after the virus entersthe cells."

Meeta Patnaik, M.D., Senior Research Scientist
Hun-Chi Lin, PhD, Director, Clinical Trials
Specialty Laboratories, Santa Monica, CA, August 1998

"Humic Acid inhibits the in-vitro replication of influenza virus A/WSN/33 (H1N1) in Madin-Darby canine kidney (MDCK) cell sat concentrations of no cytotoxicity. The IC50 for Humic Acid was 48.61 +/- 7.32 microg/ml and 55.27 +/- 5.46 microg/ml respectively when the compound was added at the stage of viral adsorption or post-adsorption. Humic acid inhibits the endonuclease activity of viral RNA polymerase."

Lu FJ, Tseng SN, Li ML, Shih SR, Department of Biochemistry, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei

The chemically induced inhibition of HSV infection. Laub, R. Laub BioChem Corp., August 1998. www.laubiochem.com.

Therapeutic effect of E-5-2-bromovinyl 2-deoxyuridine, caffeic acid oxidation product, and trisodiumphosphonoformate on cutaneous herpes simplex virus type 1 infected guinea pigs. Helbig, B.; et al. Med Viral, 1987; Vol. 23; Issue 3; pages 303-309.

Interaction of humic acids and humic acid like polymers with herpes simplex virus type 1. Knocking, R. Humic Substances in the Aquatic and Terrestrial Environment, Berlin, 1991; pages 408-412.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2014, 11:00:14 AM »
i came here after you were afflicted, celeste, so have little knowledge of you

whatever the case, keep healing. nice to hear your situation is improving, and that proactive efforts are getting you results.

faascinating post, GFN

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal