Author Topic: almost thw wsorst thing that could happen to my paddling  (Read 9742 times)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: almost thw wsorst thing that could happen to my paddling
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2014, 03:48:32 AM »
My reading says 57% of the population has the cold sore herpes and that is the most common cause of HSE

supthecreek

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2014, 04:02:13 AM »
Celeste! Great to see you posting again.... So sad that you have had this pain enter your life. Heal quickly and completely.

I have missed your voice on the Zone, please entertain use with more posts during your recovery, and get your gear ready... you'll be back on the water next spring.

balance_fit

• Peahi Status
  • Simple, not easy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2014, 05:10:31 AM »
Thanks for sharing your story Celeste

Our support as Zoners and the strength you find in your peers and sport is clear. All your neurological symptoms, with intense, varied and constant stimulation and therapy will subside. For motor rehab, you have the best tool at your reach, the stand up paddleboard !

Now you will face many challenges in your daily life, please be patient with the process, and try to find in every little issue, a chance to use it as therapeutic opportunity.

Please take time to find and read, many times, this book: My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey, by Jill Bolte Taylor. The book tells the story of a neuro scientist who was affected by a stroke and how she describes, in excellent detail, the events from illness to full rehab.

Finally, go to the water soon. Just see it, touch it and if safe, immerse in it. You will feel very good and stimulated. Keep on getting better, you're working on it now !

Be well and blessed
Bic Wing 11' x 29"
Bark Commander 12' x 20" 
Walden Magic 10'
Other tools for mental and physical sanity not mentioned

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2014, 06:32:50 AM »
Ah, that was supposed to say 55, not 25.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Ake G

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2014, 06:39:39 AM »
So sorry to hear about your illness, Celeste. Stay strong and get well!

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2014, 07:13:43 AM »
They say "good artists borrow but great artists steal." I must be a great writer because I can't put it any better that LePerouseBay, with his beautiful post that bears reading again:

"Celeste is one of the most beautiful names for a gal.  You have always done it justice with your wonderful posts.

Sorry to hear you got whacked with such a challenge.  Health problems are scary, but when you get through this you will have a new appreciation for life.  You will recover, it's just a matter of time.

I'll be thinking of you when I paddle tomorrow morning.

Thanks for posting.  It's important for all of us in good health to reflect on just how lucky we are."

Get well soon, Celeste.

14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2014, 07:52:41 AM »
We've missed you as you can see.

Glad to hear you upbeat and intent on recovery. My last stint in the hospital I had a roommate with a brain infection....a little cut inside his nose was the pathway. Very scary stuff.  He recovered completely.

Life throws challenges of one kind or another at all of us. It's not the challenge that matters, it's how you respond. It's all in your attitude. FWIW I tell people today that one of the best things to ever happen to me was a brain tumor.....pretty weird but true. Based on my impression of you I don't expect anything but good to come from this.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2014, 08:39:16 AM »
Sorry to hear of your issue. So glad you can beat it. I was wondering what happened to you. My torn ham string is nothing compared to what your are dealing with. Hope your soon back to doing what makes you happy.

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2014, 12:27:37 PM »
That is horrible news.  Sorry you are going through this and have been going through it.  I wish you a speedy and complete recovery.  I too was wondering lately what happened to...

Wishing you a speedy recovery, Celeste! 

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2014, 12:47:50 PM »
Go Celeste!  Nice to hear from you, get some proxy board time here.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2014, 01:47:26 PM »
Wishing a speedy recovery for you Celeste!

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2014, 02:43:12 PM »
My reading says 57% of the population has the cold sore herpes and that is the most common cause of HSE

Now that's terrifying.  So, if you get cold sores you could get HSE?  Yikes!
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Blue crab

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2014, 03:46:11 PM »
Some background about HSV encephalitis:

HSV-1 is a lifelong infection, is the cause of recurrent oral cold sores, and is extremely common.  The population prevalence is 50-60%, but among people >40 the prevalence is much higher (>80%). It has only been over the last few decades that fewer kids in  the Western world get infected: most people attribute this to the suburbanization of our society though this has not been proven. A new development is that HSV-1 is quite commonly spread as an STD amongst adolescents / young adults. Genital herpes used to be the nearly exclusive realm of HSV-2.  Therefore, the overall landscape of HSV-1 is changing.  Nevertheless, in the vast majority of infected people, HSV-1 is little more than a nuisance.

HSV-1 is the most common cause of viral encephalitis in the US.  However, HSV-1 encephalitis is extremely uncommon amongst those with HSV-1, and viral encephalitis is extremely uncommon in general.  HSV-1 keratitis is also the leading cause of infectious blindness in the US (though again this is relatively uncommon). Both entities are treatable with high dose acyclovir if captured early but this is often difficult.

Jean-Laurent Cassanova, a French scientist, has done elegant work which identifies that predisposition to HSV encephalitis is genetically determined in many if not most cases.  The mutations of interest are quite specific and lie within the innate immune system, specifically within intracellular signaling pathways. The innate immune system is distinguished from the acquired immune system because it exists in all human cells and is geared to recognize general patterns of DNA which are constant across a wide spectrum of viruses and bacteria, early during infection. Upon recognition of a virus, a signaling cascade ensues which activates the larger acquired immune response.  The acquired immune system consists of T and B cells which are extremely diverse and have evolved miraculous mechanisms to recognize specific foreign bits of proteins which are specific to distinct pathogens (all the while ignoring the millions of bits of human proteins which are expressed within uninfected cells).  This allows the immune system to kill infected cells and viruses without harming normal human tissue, an event which is constantly ongoing in all of our bodies each day

Cassanova's findings are really surprising.  Intuitively, one would expect specific innate immune deficits to result in risk of numerous types of infections, as the innate system is the first line of defense and is designed to recognize broad patterns of DNA rather than specific viruses.  However, this does not appear to be the case.  Most children who develop HSV-1 encephalitis are healthy beforehand with no obvious higher risk of infection with other viruses or bacteria. Their mutations is identified only after the fact. Similar stories / mutations are emerging for all sorts of other human pathogens.

This research is expensive and is not yet translatable to screening for the general public.  However, the idea is that one day there will be a broad palate of assays which can identify specific risks for different infections, allowing for frequent screening and early interventions.

Celeste, I wish you a speedy recovery. It will be an inspiration to all of us to hear about your progress towards getting back on the water again.

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2014, 04:45:53 AM »
God speed you back to your SUP, Celeste!  :)
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2014, 05:16:58 PM »
LIKE EVERYONE ELSE I AM GLAD TO SEE YOU ARE BACK!  YOU WILL RECOVER AND PADDLE AGAIN. IT IS WRITTEN IN THE SUN AND STARS
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal