Author Topic: These look interesting  (Read 5633 times)

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
These look interesting
« on: November 19, 2014, 10:32:33 AM »
I had no idea Savage River (famous for river racing canoes) even made SUPs.  Still these look pretty sweet.  http://www.savageriver.com/sups

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: These look interesting
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 10:54:45 AM »
They look pretty high tech, but for 4K, you'd think it would have cupholders.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 11:11:34 AM »
Thought some of the advanced racing tech from solo racing canoes would spill over at some point - and there you go.  The Needle and Rocket shapes look very fast with long distance stability.

Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 09:17:35 PM »
Beautiful flat water craft.  I would love to try them sometime.  A couple of the guys with extensive sprint kayak design backgrounds at Mistral came up with this one. 

If (or when) SUP becomes an Olympic sport these are the type of craft they'll be racing in flat water sprints.
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 07:34:36 AM »
Friend (Trey) is a former marathon canoeist who knows the Salvage River people and was able to bring a 18.5' Needle to Chattanooga. He tried to do the 2013 Chattajack 31 with it but the instabilty eventially got him and he DNF. I borrowed it for a few weeks and found it terrifying - any ripple in the water was a threat. Once up to speed, it takes little effort to keep going 5 mph, definitely at a lower heart rate than my 14 footers, but I couldn't sprint faster than 6.3 mph due to stability. I heard Ben Frieberg got it 13 mph but may have had current behind him. The carbon is flexible and bends when you tie it down, but doesn't hurt it. Interesting board. Yes, that's a drain plug at the back.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 07:36:14 AM by TN_SUP »
'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 08:32:54 AM »
Put the Edge tail on the Needle and you'd have something. But it would look like a speedboard with footwells. I'm continually surprised no one has done footwells to the bottom skin with NACA drains. There's got to be a 1 mph speed advantage there. These boards look close to that, except there's no drains. What's up with that? People have been doing suction drains on OC's for years.

Construction is gorgeous. At $3500 nobody is making any money here. This has to be for love.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 08:38:57 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 08:45:07 AM »
13 mph is freakishly impressive fast - even with a current!  No doubt a board like that is right up his alley.  Crazy balance and endurance.  Major kudos.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/03/us-usa-cuba-paddleboard-idUSBRE97119H20130803

Fast is FUN!   8)

gorgebob

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Gorgeperformance.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 08:49:07 AM »
I quit counting on the ultra lite carbon expensive footwell or drop deck boards that fill with gallons of water. Not light after a few strokes, and feet turn to prunes. Duh :-\
Founder: Gorge Performance Surf  Shop Portland
Fabricator: RNR Engineering

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2014, 09:09:48 AM »
Would think that drains would happen in time - but the tiny target market is likely a sprint paddler that probably stays very dry on FW.
Fast is FUN!   8)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 09:24:05 AM »
Starboard incorporates some drains, but they are inefficient. A simple flow shroud like OC1's use will dramatically increase the suction at even slow speed. Better yet is to reverse the ramp of a NACA duct and put a small peak in the typical NACA profile to move the vortices onto the ramp. The suction is remarkably strong. I initially planned to add footwells to my tunnel hull and I played with drains. Just a shrouded hole is enough to suck the well dry in seconds. Dumping off the back or sides is too slow. Absolutely necessary to have a useful design. A typical footwell holds more than a gallon of water--that's 8.5 pounds per well.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 09:59:15 AM »
I should add that it was somewhat of a prototype with Allison's small ventral and semicircle fins, would have been better for me with a gladiator. Checked Garmin file, averaged 5.5 mph, very addictive to glide that fast at low heart rate. So light it was easy to load by myself (18.5 feet!).

'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 10:34:55 AM »
Beautiful flat water craft.  I would love to try them sometime.  A couple of the guys with extensive sprint kayak design backgrounds at Mistral came up with this one. 

If (or when) SUP becomes an Olympic sport these are the type of craft they'll be racing in flat water sprints.

NICE!!

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 06:19:57 PM »
Reminds me (a lot) of the 18' we made 4 years ago.  25" wide and as stable as a 28 or 29" board.  And no drains in the footwells, water easily drains right out the back channel just like the Savage SUP. 
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2014, 06:34:03 PM »
You have to keep the bottom of the footwells above the waterline to make that work. You get even more stability and a more advantageous paddle force vector below the waterline.

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2014, 07:15:09 AM »
Very true Bill.  With our board, my feet were at exact water line and drainage worked perfectly, even during the epic Round the Rock year where we were taking waves over the bow most the way.

I did do a calculation back when we built that board, and had our footwells not drained, they would have held about 12 gallons of water… At 8 pounds/gallon, well that would be quite a load (-:

Had we been able to lower the cockpit another inch or more, we could have kept the same stability and probably gone to 23" wide…

Hard to tell in the pics, but I'm guessing the Savage SUP's footwells are not below waterline.
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal