Author Topic: ADOBE BAIT AND SWITCH  (Read 5414 times)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: ADOBE BAIT AND SWITCH
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2014, 02:15:32 PM »
I agree--subscriptions can be fine if you're a heavy user, but horrible for infrequent users.  And it's not just the current cost.  The subscription prices go up over time.  The justification is that more is offered. But not only is that not always a benefit to the casual user, it's a drawback, as as soon as you're barely comfortable with one version of a program, it gets "improved" so you have to relearn everything.  It's a reason so many people hate upgrades, and especially hate when something is phased out entirely. 

I have an architect friend who told Autodesk he hates their subscription approach, because it's the equivalent of if an earlier generation of architects had been forced to rent their paper and pencils, then trade them in for new paper and pencils every year that worked entirely differently, and he's right.  Autodesk has been notorious for adding features that are useless to people, but make the software immensely more difficult to use and learn, and then charging people for that.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2014, 04:01:12 PM »
Autodesk has been notorious for adding features that are useless to people, but make the software immensely more difficult to use and learn, and then charging people for that.

So true. I tell everyone at the office, they are just like Microsoft. They need to fire 50% of the workforce at Autodesk and Microsft.

Some Guy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2014, 10:39:15 PM »
The worst thing about the subscription service is that once you stop paying, you can't even open your own files. >:(

Before Adobe started the subscription service, Creative Master Suite cost $4,334 in Australia.
At the time it was $2,599 in the US i.e. $1,735 cheaper.
In Australia, you downloaded it from exactly the same US based server as you would have done in the States.
There were no boxes, manuals, phone support etc.
Not a single thing different from buying in the US except the big price difference.

All that said, I love Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and Acrobat.
So I have to toe the Adobe line.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2014, 06:49:27 AM »
Nah, Pixelmator for the anti Adobe people.

Pixelmator is cool and really fun and easy to use.  But, like Gimp and all the others it won't open psd's, ai's etc with all layer properties.  Anyone who needs to share files and collaborate with outside groups needs and uses the Adobe suite.  That is effectively all businesses and artistic pros.

PS:  Windows 10 is awesome.  Yosemite is great as well but for those who are judging Microsoft on old experiences you might want to look again. What Microsoft has done in the short time since the change of lead dogs is very impressive.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2014, 09:12:24 AM »
PS: 

Paying more that a few bucks for Acrobat does seem high.  I pay $29.95 a month for the entire Adobe collection.  That seems more than fair.

Acrobat Professional
After Effects
Audition
Bridge
Dreamweaver
Edge Animate
Fireworks
Flash Professional
Illustrator
InCopy
InDesign
Lightroom
Muse
Photoshop
Prelude
Premiere Pro
Speed Grade

If you're using it for your work and making money with it, that's cheap.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal