Author Topic: How easy it is to get derailed off the 'program'  (Read 7611 times)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: How easy it is to get derailed off the 'program'
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2014, 11:46:00 AM »

Sometimes high GI load is useful - such as refueling during exercise to prevent bonking - or right after exercise to replenish glycogen stores.
Perfect example of why a calorie isn't just a calorie in regard to eating.  They affect your body differently, depending what the food is.

all~wet

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2014, 11:54:47 AM »
A calorie is most definitely a calorie... a defined measure of stored energy: 1 calorie produces sufficient heat to raise the temp of 1 kilo of H2O one degree celsius.

That said, the way energy/ fuel is structured, what it is mixed with makes all the difference in the world in the rate and manner it is burned when it comes time for the body to utilize it... as does the metabolism/energy demands and health/efficiency of the body/engine it is put into.

Put a large, dense log onto a fire and see the rate and manner in which it burns. Place a Christmas tree of the same measure of calories onto the same fire. Huge difference.
Place a log onto a roaring fire v a slow smolder. Big difference. etc, etc

Health, metabolism, activity, simple carbs v complex, simple carbs bound to fiber, carbs in combination with protien v alone. Plenty of factors influence how the body utilizes, treats and stores a given amount of fuel or calories.

One perk to doing a hard downwinder is that the body's fire is running hot, hot with demand high. If ever there was a good time to eat that pastry- the hour immediately following is it!
W T &^%$ enjoyit- Buen provecho!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2014, 01:08:16 PM »
Unfortunately my metabolic rate drops like a rock after exercise--that's not a guess. Like Sheldon says--"I've been tested". One of those genetically fortunate/unfortunate people depending on whether you are trying to stay strong in a famine or trying to lose weight near a bakery.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

all~wet

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2014, 04:47:05 PM »
Famine v losing weight near a bakery. Good stuff.
Funny how what can be a negative trait in one scenario becomes a positive in another, yeah? All relative and for good or bad, the demands/ challenges our ancestors faced largely determines what cards we were dealt. I suppose you'd likely have an advantage if your pre and inter race nutrition was lacking, so there IS that.

As for your post paddle bakery.... I still think you are OK PB as metabolic rate is a measure of how efficient the body is in converting calories into energy/ATP. They measure oxygen in and CO2 out which is a byproduct of the conversion. However, post exercise- at rest, especially within the first 30 minutes, but up until 90 minutes, the body prioritizes topping off the tanks and at that time is most efficient in utilizing/diverting carbs toward replenishing muscle and liver glycogen rather than producing energy or storing it for future use. This is one rare case where it particularly likes simple carbs, less fiber to do so. (adding protein to account for muscle breakdown/rebuild is of course a good call) Once past that window, the likelihood of it being stored as fat goes up tremendously and the ability to top off glycogen is diminished and could effect recovery/ performance the next day.

Of course, if you've been slurping gels the whole workout, the demand/effect will be diminished.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2014, 07:19:29 PM »
No gels. But I suspect that piece of banana chocolate cream pie that I had after dinner went straight to my bubble wrap.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2014, 08:19:55 PM »
I share Bill's genetics but for me the real problem is simply no will power..... :P
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2014, 03:29:50 AM »
I share Bill's genetics but for me the real problem is simply no will power..... :P
That's probably genetic too.
Bunch of old shit

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2014, 02:13:41 PM »
In regards to calories it is not really shocking that igniting foods and measuring energy output from the resulting fire is not that accurate.  Let a group of motivated spinners conduct the testing and...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2273331/Calorie-counts-food-labels-inaccurate-50per-cent-rely-100-year-old-calculation-method.html

'If we're going to put the information out there on the food label, it would be nice that it's accurate.'
Nutritionist Susan Roberts found that soups, salads and sides at restaurants were the worst offenders when it came to items that contained more calories than stated.
'We aren't getting a good perspective when it comes to making dietary choices'
Shockingly the Outback Steakhouse claimed their classic blue cheese wedge side salad had 376 calories, but lab results showed it had a gut-busting 1,035.
And a separate study by the Today show last summer found that so-called low-calorie ice creams and frozen yoghurts can contain as much as 68per cent more calories than the labels claim.

Clearly this will work the same in each of our highly individual systems

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDgeaAMdYIY
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 02:16:22 PM by Admin »

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2014, 02:30:59 AM »
for those of you who think's a calorie is a calorie , go eat 2 to 3 thousand calories a day at Jack in the box for one month !!  i don't care how much exercise you get after one month those calories will be weighing you down and your energy level will be down not to mention your health ... yikes.

then go eat for a month Big ass salads and grass fed beef and free range organic chickens and wild salmon and okinawan sweet potato , free range eggs and natural bacon  , protein shakes with coconut oil ...... you get the picture .

I think someone actually did a documentary on his rapid decline in health eating at mcdoodo's for  breakfast lunch and dinner for a month.

Its absurd and completely illogical to say a calorie is a calorie, given the amount of evidence and studies done it defy's logic and basic common sense. 

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2014, 02:50:41 AM »
^ word

You just need to look at the body shapes in countries that allow growth hormones for cattle and poutry and those that don't. It's just too obvious.

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM