Author Topic: Questions about shaping, spackling, and coloring 1.5 lb (or lighter) foam...  (Read 20295 times)

getsupngo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I've used spackle at times and never had any problems later.

My sandwich process doesn't require any spackle or sealing details.

I'd rather use epoxy and some additives to it if I choose to use it somewhere under the reinforcements.

getcarter

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I've used the One time Fast and Final but it seems a little too flexible to me even after it has gone off.....Anyone ever use the PolyFilla lightweight spackle found here in the UK?

M

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
I thought that at first but once It has been left for 2-3 weeks it actually goes nice and crispy, well the stuff I have been using does. It never did dissolve in water ether and I left it for a weeks. I have another test I will try today. I laminated one of my cnc cut boards that was very well sanded to 220 and did not spackle and just laid it straight up and it defiantly turned out heavier.

getcarter

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ah well...I could wait and see....really weird stuff it is. Have you used anything else?

M

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Ah well...I could wait and see....really weird stuff it is. Have you used anything else?

M

I tried epoxy and micro balloons but felt it was heavy and didn't really give any better results. I all so found you had to be very carful to sand it after very well if laminating by hand other wise the little bumps stop glass from siting flat maybe easer on small boards but a pain on race boards with a large are and a lot of detail.

getcarter

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hi Charlie.... No, I meant did you try any other spackle brands aside from One Time?

Cheers

Mark

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Hi Charlie.... No, I meant did you try any other spackle brands aside from One Time?

Cheers

Mark

Yes but forget the name I normally get the big buckets from wicks

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
I like microballons for big fill areas where spackle will take forever to dry and provide no strength. For me the trick with Microballons is to mix the first batch with so much balloons that it's almost dry, and just compress it into place and strike it off like mortar. Even if it looks too dry it will set up hard. Sand flat, mix the next batch a little wetter and fill all the holes. Strike it off with very light pressure so it stands a little proud. If you have divots just drip a little in instead of trying to respread.

For me, Spackle is first and foremost a way to seal EPS without adding weight. I mix in water and a little vinegar to the consistency of heavy cream, and spread it on. When it starts to firm up I run a wide spreader over it lightly. that seems to make it seal better and I don't get a lot of adsorption when I glass. I almost always prepreg the glass or CF on a table and place it on the board. If you do that on bare EPS and vacuum bag it will go bone dry. With cured Spackle I can bag right onto the EPS and the glass or CF will be compressed and consolidated but not dried.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal