Author Topic: Hard to takeoff into stiff offshore winds.  (Read 9349 times)

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Hard to takeoff into stiff offshore winds.
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2014, 09:45:50 AM »
Late take offs standing on the front third to near the tip was about the only way to get in against a strong wind yesterday.  Even that didn't work all the time in mushy Dogpatch waves.  At least the walls stood up longer than usual.

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2014, 09:50:28 AM »
Ralph, I proned that same spot yesterday afternoon #ESPNblooperreel. Proned for just the same reasons everyone is mentioning, big nosed board in strong off shores does not work out well.
Seemed best at dawn, more consistent,
But there were spurts of energy..Fun
Whatever I was doing was working for me...

Then again I am usually the only Sup out when the off shores kick up..

Riding this board..Starboard 711,,short with a full nose..
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 09:52:07 AM by Sup-position »
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2014, 11:42:20 AM »
Ralph cool stick. Why did they discontinue it?
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2014, 11:50:52 AM »
Ralph cool stick. Why did they discontinue it?
They still make it
Newer ones have a More Pointy Nose and lower volume.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 11:52:29 AM by Sup-position »
Ralph
Sup-position

supthecreek

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2014, 06:26:03 AM »
We surf in high winds on almost every big winter swell (20-30mph is very common) so avoidance is not an option.

No matter what angle the offshore wind is...
There is always a slight "downwind" side
Think like a sailor... with your back as a sail... use the wind to "tack" into a wave
Getting the wind to help a bit, rather than hinder is key.

Option 1:
Set-up:
I'm surfing lefts... the wind is offshore... slightly from the right as I face the beach.

I will paddle on my left side to catch waves, which turns my back slightly to the wind
I'll angle the takeoff to minimize the wind in my face, and maximize it to my back
Like Judo.....it makes a huge difference, if you use the power for... not against.

_0_
           | 
          /\
      /  \  \   <---new fangled Minion square nose
    /      \_\
  /
 ^wind       
               \
                \
                  \
                  \/   Paddle in this direction

There is NO offshore wind direction/swell direction, that you can't do this.

Option 2:
If I have room in the line-up, I will paddle with the wind (even heading slightly out) to get board speed up.... time it right... and turn into the wave at the last second with a lot of speed.

Option 3:
Hang out in the impact zone and take off really late.... strong offshores usually hold the wave up for a few seconds, allowing for a later takeoff.

And.... like sup-position said.... the wind will flip your board into you or someone else in a split second.... plan for it!!!!

I don't really think about the wind anymore... there's always a way to use it.

1st shot I took last January, on a relatively light wind day  ... 
2nd shot.... I copped from a friends video of a pumping Cape Cod swell last winter....not a good day to hang in the impact zone  ;D

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2014, 01:16:49 PM »
When I see these pics of NE and SoCal with offshores I can see the advantage they have over us because the breaks are so much closer to shore.  Hawaiian outer reef spots allow a significant fetch to build by the time it hits the wave face.  So aside from the wind there is the bump.  Big bumps.

supthecreek

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2014, 02:08:52 PM »
Oh man.... I remember that! Sunset was so far out on a big day, that you could have waves coming out from the offshore wind... lotta bouncing down those faces.

Another weird fact when you have offshores and big lips coming over
As the wave pitches forward towards the beach, it displaces so much air that it creates a strong backdraft. When you paddle over a throwing wave, the offshore wind meets the backdraft and the wind goes straight up. Sometimes the hardest thing to do is get your board back down on the water, to scratch out and get over the next wave.

It wasn't uncommon to see a lose board drift gently up the face.... only to lift off like a rocket and fly 30' straight up.

definitely better to be closer to shore  :D

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2014, 06:20:34 AM »
Nicole would go...

Have a Frosty...
Ralph
Sup-position

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2014, 03:53:51 PM »
Nicole would go...

Have a Frosty...

Great pic.  She's right in the pocket. 

Like I said, we'll throw PBill into the volcano in exchange for some lighter winds. 

Today actually wasn't bad.  5mph straight off and super clean.  About that size.  Then at 10:30 a wall of onshore winds about 20-25 rolled in and we all rolled out.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2014, 08:43:55 PM »
Some of those drops were plenty bump-p-p-p-p-y. That big lull while the wind was switching around sure was sweet. I know what you mean, creek, about the skyboards. I fell going down the face today and my board hit the end of the leash going vertical.

For some reason today I had the announcer for Sky King playing in my head. "Out of the blue of the western sky comes... ...SKY KING!" WTF?? what random neuron kicked that off?

Maybe it was because I got my leash tangled with some longboarder and his board pasted me in the head twice.  I thought Penny was a hot little nipper--nice perky chest on her, but Clipper sucked toads. The first songbird was a piece of crap, but the second one was pretty cool. Who the hell is named Clipper? Random Neurons...  ...over and out.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal