Author Topic: Whats the deal with those radical TOMO VANGUARD style surf sup designs?  (Read 59792 times)

CHill

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Ohana Paddle Sports
Re: Whats the deal with those radical TOMO VANGUARD style surf sup designs?
« Reply #90 on: November 27, 2014, 03:35:13 PM »
Tomo Nano but as Dave knows I'm a little out there so assym for me

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 28, 2014, 12:42:32 AM »
I remember a few years back in the UK - mini simmons were the board that everyone crazed about.....these Tomo shapes are the mini-simmons of the SUP world imho. Just fashionable at the moment...that's not to say they are not fun or good of course. It will be something else in a couple of years. Good to try lots of designs...why not?

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 28, 2014, 12:00:33 PM »
I think that just as the simmons was a way to go shorter and still be able to paddle for us normal humans, the tomo takes the simmons a step further. Yup, its exciting stuff and high performance sup surfing seems to still be in its infancy.

I remember a few years back in the UK - mini simmons were the board that everyone crazed about.....these Tomo shapes are the mini-simmons of the SUP world imho. Just fashionable at the moment...that's not to say they are not fun or good of course. It will be something else in a couple of years. Good to try lots of designs...why not?
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 28, 2014, 12:52:25 PM »
Here is a video of the JP Slate...

BrentP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: November 28, 2014, 02:31:44 PM »
Love the shots, love infinity, but are those at all Tomo-like? Am I missing something in that shape? Clue me in..

I would put them in the same class or family as the tomo style boards. imagine throwing a chopped nose on them then they would look a little more like it i guess... Dave describes them as a cross polination of his Blurr model and the Phoenix.

Here's a pic of a full tomo style he posted on his instagram 68 weeks ago...

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 28, 2014, 06:23:15 PM »
Got it, and I see the nano in there for sure. I was thinking Vangard.

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: December 11, 2014, 03:47:21 PM »
I'd told magenta I'd post more detailed pics after Thanksgiving and just never did. My apologies. These will show more the dimensions and shape. Hope this helps. I'm gonna make another one. Prob not much shorter, but definitely narrower. A few other changes too.

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: December 11, 2014, 03:54:57 PM »
Oh and...no V at all in the tail. I'm guessing the deep channel is what facilitates this baby turning like it does.  All in all, I lucked out. It all works well together, but I'll need someone with more experience to tell me why.

Sorry for not resizing the pics. I was on my way out the door when I posted them

breakbad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: December 11, 2014, 05:21:43 PM »
I'm 85kg on 149L SB Hero. Still beginner level, but have been getting into some descent gulf coast surf lately. I'm riding down the line, carving a bit, sometimes stepping on the tail and just going for broke...usually ending in disaster. I'm already feeling the need to go smaller because I'm having to put so much pressure on the rail. And when stepping on the tail in this smaller/mushy FL surf I am stalling really easy, probably my poor technique. Now I just take my 14 race board out on 2-3' days.

So, on "bigger" FL days.....If I were to get 120L'ish tomo style board would it be a mistake? Really wish I could try one, but doubt we'll get anything like that locally for some time. Suggestions? Maybe sim style like Phoenix?

I also hit the east coast from Jacksonville to St. Aug a couple times a year. I know they'd work well there.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 11, 2014, 08:06:28 PM »
Biggreen - You're so humble, dude. I got the impression from your PM's that you were a novice but you really did a good job of capturing all the nuances of a tomo vanguard/vader with that board. Nice job! Did you use a software program to design this?

Oh and...no V at all in the tail. I'm guessing the deep channel is what facilitates this baby turning like it does.  All in all, I lucked out. It all works well together, but I'll need someone with more experience to tell me why.

Sorry for not resizing the pics. I was on my way out the door when I posted them

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #100 on: December 12, 2014, 04:01:18 PM »
Humble? Haha! Hey if I passed along to you the email addresses of several lady friends of mine would you send them emails to that effect?  Thanks Magenta, you're very kind. It's just that I've come to this party called surfing so late in life that I'm eagerly soaking up as much as I can...and loving every minute of it.

And sadly, no software. I only have a couple of tablet computers and last I checked neither shaping program supported their software. Actually considering buying myself another laptop for Xmas so I can get the software. I'd be in heaven then, I'm sure. I make paper templates, then to Masonite, then to hot wire.  Love the hotwire!

We're all waiting eagerly to see what you come up with, Magenta! Don't keep us in suspense.

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #101 on: August 12, 2015, 12:36:26 PM »
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 12, 2015, 12:48:11 PM »
I like the narrower tail but I'm surprised they aren't making a shorter model.

bbqSUPer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #103 on: August 12, 2015, 03:23:48 PM »
Any ideas at the price?  I think the Naish Raptor looks cool but at $2600 yikes.

Newps

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 12, 2015, 04:42:55 PM »
Here's my new board, I've been out on it 3 times.  It's a handful at idle but it can do things my other L41 could not.
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'4" x 30 1/4" x 4 1/2" 112L
L41 SIMSUP S5 - 7'6" x 27 1/2" x 4 3/16" 106L
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'8" x 31"x 4 1/2" 122L - Modded w/ a King's TUT Tuttle box and using a King's foil.
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'10" x 30 1/4" x 4 1/2" 120L
Starboard Whopper - 10' x 34" x 4 1/3" 171L - w/ FCS GL-1 fins

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal