Author Topic: CCBC 2015  (Read 50369 times)

johnysmoke

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: CCBC 2015
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2015, 07:35:34 PM »
Any advice on where to stay on the other side?
SIC F14
Bark Eliminator
C4 Beachboy

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2015, 08:16:00 PM »
Thanks Stoney. I'm doing about 20 miles a week. I'm going to do a 24 miler soon, probably Thursday. If I don't do it this week the tides will be all messed up for me for a while. Even though, it'll be a there-and-back run, so for at least half the distance the wind will be in my face. That should work for a good training run.

I'm glad about the stops and refills. That makes the whole thing a little saner. BTW, I'll be staying in Truro for the next three nights, so if anybody wants to do a little surfing maybe two days after the event, I might be available.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2015, 05:22:41 AM »
Hey Mike/Stoney I booked my room at the Comfort Inn for the night before the CCBC…just wondering if there is a CCBC group rate again this year?   I made my reservation regardless as there weren't that many rooms available.

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2015, 05:26:48 AM »
Unfortunately there is not. Sue was in the middle of a job change this year....only way we got a rate mid summer in Plymouth. Maybe next year.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2015, 05:37:34 AM »
Can you believe that I have yet to stay on the other side myself? We're always hauling back all the stuff. I think next year I'm going to plan the week after off and plan to stay over.

Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

piece of 8

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2015, 08:45:41 AM »
Johnnysmoke-
 I heard the the Mainstay Motor Inn is a good option. Definitely plan on spending a least a few days in Wellfleet as it is a great spot with good surf, restaurants,and the natural beauty of the National seashore.
   For the 3rd time now, I'll come down to Paines Campground in Wellfleet with a couple other CCBR's on Friday before the event. We'll set up tents and be back in time for the pre-party. After the paddle across and the party, there's little energy left other than to unzip and crash in your tent.
   A few people that do the crossing with be at the Beachcomber the next day, relaxing and maybe catching some waves if there are any.

My fueling for the crossing the past couple of years has been, of course my fruit, but also some good dense protein. Last year I had a bunch of cans of sardines packed in olive oil, smoked herring, and some energy bars. I think I put down at least six cans of fish and I got sick of eating it at one point, but I eat for purpose and not pleasure.  While you're out there  you need to keep fueling up and hydrating, even if you don't feel like eating. The first year I learned the hard way by not eating during one break. I was almost out of gas by the next break and when I finally ate, I felt my energy come back to life.  The support boats with supply all the H20 you need but you gotta bring all your food.
   I'm pretty stoked for the CCBC this year as I'll have a week off to stay in Wellfleet. I'm looking forward to meeting all the first time paddlers...
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 08:47:49 AM by piece of 8 »

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2015, 08:56:30 AM »
Stoney we have stayed at the Holden Inn the last few years.  It's a great inn and a perfect location just a short walk from the  party and Mayo Beach and the restaurants and bars of Wellfleet.  We love the place and owners are very nice.  It's older, a tad rough around the edges but a perfect location.

It's great staying over .  I cannot imagine that drive back post party and post paddle..I hope you have a chauffeur and sleep on the ride home.

It's been fun meeting up with Zoners and CCBC participants the days following the CCBC.  As much as I love preparing for the CCBC and the day of the event, it's nice to sit back, relax and not feel like you have to get in a training paddle.

Pieces of 8..got a new rum for you  Plantation 3 Star..amazing!  It's a light rum which I normally don't like, but this one tastes every bit as delicious as a good/great golden rum.  Check them out  Plantation makes a number of different rums from Barbados, Trinidad, Martiniquue  they won 5 different awards at the recent Rum competition in Miami.
..their rums are made in the Caribbean but aged in France in old Cognac barrels….
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2015, 09:35:42 AM »
I can't wait for the crossing this year. Hard to believe it's been 3 years since my first one. I'll be flying in Friday morning and heading to Plymouth, if anyone wants to camp or split a room that Friday night, let me know.  Also, if anyone has a spare board they'd like to rent out for $$, beer, or Ghost whiskey, please let me know. I might have one lined up already but flying in from SoCal makes board logistics a little bit harder. Anything from 12'6 to unlimited, any width. Thanks! See the rest of you CCBCzoners in August.

piece of 8

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2015, 10:07:50 AM »

It's been fun meeting up with Zoners and CCBC participants the days following the CCBC.  As much as I love preparing for the CCBC and the day of the event, it's nice to sit back, relax and not feel like you have to get in a training paddle.

Pieces of 8..got a new rum for you  Plantation 3 Star..amazing!  It's a light rum which I normally don't like, but this one tastes every bit as delicious as a good/great golden rum.  Check them out  Plantation makes a number of different rums from Barbados, Trinidad, Martiniquue  they won 5 different awards at the recent Rum competition in Miami.
..their rums are made in the Caribbean but aged in France in old Cognac barrels….

Ahhh! The annual post CCBC rum hoist.Perhaps you might bring a taste of that one Caribsurf as I haven't seen that one local yet? I think I'm bringing Diplomatico from Venezuela. I'm on to my second bottle of that, a gift from the GF for July 4th and I'm really enjoying it.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2015, 08:54:49 PM »
P of 8 ..I'll bring some of the Plantation 3 Star as well as the Plantation Barbados 5 yr .  Hard to find anywhere so I ordered some stock from the Internet and they are scheduled to arrive Wednesdaay...can't wait.  Most like.y these will be gone by CCBC so I will order some more.

Diplomatico sounds great.  Venezuela has some lovely rums, but not sure I've tried that one yet.   
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2015, 09:37:01 PM »
The best Mai Tais I've ever had are simply pineapple juice and Koloa dark rum, from Kuai.  http://www.koloarum.com/aloha.htm 
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2015, 05:31:26 AM »
I can't wait for the crossing this year. Hard to believe it's been 3 years since my first one. I'll be flying in Friday morning and heading to Plymouth, if anyone wants to camp or split a room that Friday night, let me know.  Also, if anyone has a spare board they'd like to rent out for $$, beer, or Ghost whiskey, please let me know. I might have one lined up already but flying in from SoCal makes board logistics a little bit harder. Anything from 12'6 to unlimited, any width. Thanks! See the rest of you CCBCzoners in August.

I am unfortunately not paddling this year. Strange how both Mike and I both missed 2009 and now we'll both be out for 2015. I'm sure Bill wouldn't mind you using the Speedboard or my Vec will be available.
Bob

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2015, 07:46:49 PM »
The best Mai Tais I've ever had are simply pineapple juice and Koloa dark rum, from Kuai.  http://www.koloarum.com/aloha.htm

I can attest to that....I also really liked it neat on the rocks.
Bob

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2015, 08:11:03 PM »
For sure, lend him the Speedboard. There's a long tradition of Kaya borrowing my boards for a race. Did it once before for the BOP.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

piece of 8

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2015, 12:14:42 PM »
   Just got my business cards for my fundraising site printed by Nick from Minuteman Press in Braintree. I agreed on a price of $30 for a couple hundred, but after he saw the event and the  charity website and told me to donate it to Christophers Haven..Thanks Nick!
He also posted my site on his FB page.
   I'll pass these out to friends, co- workers, relatives,etc., like I said before in the thread. If you need the artwork for the CCBC logo, just email Chaser.
   And if you are not participating, feel free to donate!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 12:16:17 PM by piece of 8 »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal