Author Topic: Time out  (Read 3827 times)

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Time out
« on: November 11, 2014, 07:02:09 AM »
I had a mishap I want to share so maybe you won't have one.

Unless you are gumby do not ever do the splits unless you are trying to. A month ago while surfing on a good average size day, I stepped back to crank a hard turn and stepped beyond my pad and slipped off the monster paint. Where I slipped the paint is gone. Wax not paint or kick tail and this would not have happened.

I did the splits in a walking form. I could never do the splits in 30 years of martial arts but this day I did. Things were not right but I paddled back out anyway and eventually gave up. It hurt so bad. I thought as soon as I could do the paper work after going number 2 I would be well enough to surf. NOT!   I surfed last week and had the muscles do popping tearing releases and now I am back to day one pain levels. It hurts to walk, sit or just be doing normal things.

Maybe because I am older its worse. I do not like missing a single day of surf. Now it looks like I might not get to surf until after my busy tax season.

I know it does not happen that often but you really want to avoid doing the splits. Even though it hurts bad the real
hurt is time out. 

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Time out
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 08:30:34 AM »
I'd have that looked at now.  Muscles and tendons are a pain in the ...er  uh...a real pain for life if they don't get the right attention fast.

wavekook

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 12:07:32 PM »
Did exactly the same thing when going into a bottom turn and back foot slipped off the slippery deck pad that i had been meaning to do something about forever. felt like i had tweaked something in my nether regions but turned out to be a pulled hammy. Wasn't badly pulled but still off the water for 3 months. Fixed deck pad in the enforced holiday. 

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 12:11:05 PM »
So sorry to hear about your accident, 1tuberider.  If you are like me, the pain is one thing, but it's a bigger torture to be out of the water and missing what I love to do.  I'm saying a word for a speedy recovery for you.

8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 01:05:32 PM »
I guess I can visualize how this could happen, ouch and sympathies.  I try to get on the abductor and adductor machines to keep these tendons tuned up.

However, things that used to go away and heal in weeks in youth now take months.  As long as they are in the range of a 600 mg Ibuprofen, I can still go out.  My bum knee is getting better and has been in Ibuprofen range, so I haven't lost any days, but it would be nice to know what I did to cause it.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 01:29:04 PM »
soooo.... about avoiding the spits. Which you said at the beginning and the end of your post.

How the !#@$ we supposed to do that? I mean other than getting about learning to actually do them that is.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 03:37:32 PM »
soooo.... about avoiding the spits. Which you said at the beginning and the end of your post.

How the !#@$ we supposed to do that? I mean other than getting about learning to actually do them that is.
I will no longer surf without a stomp pad that has a tail kick.  I gingerly reach back with my foot until I feel the tail kick.  I worry about stepping off the back and having the same thing happen.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 04:05:16 PM »

I have been surfing over 50 years without doing it this hard before. I put monster paint on the deck around the pad.
My foot slipped off and removed the paint. I would have never figured that would happen but the paint is not a grippy as a waxed surface.
You want to avoid this injury. That is why I posted in the first place. I am going to change pads and go back to wax. I used to stretch when I did martial arts for 30 years. I will start stretching again. I always felt in good surfing shape and never considered this happening. Wrong sh*t happens.

Thanks for the support. Its going to take a while from what I have read about groin injuries. I don't have a doctor. I am waiting for a return call from a medical clinic that I submitted the info in two weeks ago. By the time I get to see one I should be healed. What sucks is a 3 month healing process and I think things are torn so maybe longer. Time out is not easy. Lucky for me I am raising 6 grandkids and have many interests. 

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 04:30:39 PM »
1tube agree that waiting it out can be very tough - get better soon.  Doc told me no exercise for a couple weeks after outpatient sutures - and paddled after the 3rd day - oops .....  :o

Best way to avoid a slip is with Sex Wax - or something similar.  Formulations for surfing and snowboarding.

http://www.sexwax.com/what-is-sex-wax/

Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 12:36:33 AM »
It was 30 yrs ago when a late takeoff resulted in the same forced split. Front foot on board made the drop while the rear foot remained stuck somewhere behind up in the lip. Don't remember the recovery time but I'm sure it would be longer now. What I do remember was that body surfing was the first activity I was able to do when I got back in the water.  Good luck.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 03:50:04 AM »
Bizarrely I did the same thing on a Hobie 18 (the splits) in some rough seas about 15 years ago when we were bouncing around in a 30kt winds. Can't remember how it happened, but I was thrown in the air and somehow landed on my feet doing the splits on the trampoline which are always slippy..  Since then I started wearing wetshoes and have continued this since starting SUP / SUS.. At least compared to bare feet, these have built in grip, wherever your stand, and the added benefit if you hit the reef feet first (by accident of course) you avoid laceration / sea urchins etc etc. It took around a month to feel normal and then I had tweaks for a few months afterwards where I was real careful not to get in same position.. 6 months later I forgot about it completely.. until now.. ;)
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
April 24, 2024, 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]