Author Topic: SUP repairs  (Read 9911 times)

Flying Walrus

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
SUP repairs
« on: November 10, 2014, 12:33:45 PM »
I bought my wife a 2014 all-arounder/surf SUP manufactured by a respected brand. The paint seemed to chip easily along the rails as she learned to paddle. I was lax and didn't put on rail tape. My bad. However, I am now seeing spidering cracks along, above and below the rails (near the front of the board) that are out of range of the paddle and not caused by paddle strikes. They run horizontally along the board. The cracks go all the way through the outer shell. They  look and feel like thick chips off on old barn or something. So finally to my questions. Can this be repaired? Is it worth trying to repair? It appears to me that the board may have just been a "lemon" from the start, maybe one of a bad batch or something. Do you think I have any recourse with the manufacturer?

mosheva

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SUP repairs
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 06:24:24 AM »
best thing to do is to upload some pictures...
If it is a brand new board and you have warranty try to go to the dealer and have him check it, if you are 100% sure those are not from accident or miss-use.

does the board color is yellow??? :)

maxsonic

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 08:28:38 AM »
I just picked up a used 2014 Jimmy Lewis Maestra (Epoxy Sandwich construction) that was in overall great shape, but has a few areas of heavy rail rash (outer coat chipping) from paddle strikes...see pictures attached. I'm not seeing any cracks along the rail, just typical paddle strike rash, so from a structural standpoint I don't believe there are any issues requiring a structural repair - just filler. To maintain this board's appearance (and prevent the outer coat chipping to "coalesce" into more missing topcoat), I'm in the process of sanding down the rail, and feathering in edges of the rash. I then plan to do touch up of the chipped /sanded areas on the rail with Marine Tex Epoxy Repair filler...then sand, resand, repaint, and install rail tape. 

Recommend you post pictures of the cracks for Zoners to help you better evaluate the damage...the cracks may only be in the outer topcoat. Or, you could have a bigger problem requiring a structural repair, vice a filler repair. 

My board repair is still a work in progress...I would like to hear other Zoner's recommendations for maintenance/removal of rail rash, and small structural repairs...what materials do you use for filler and paint? If you need to do a small structural repair, is a West Systems Fiberglass (Epoxy) Kit (http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-system--fiberglass-repair-kit-105-k-repair-kit--12954095 ) the best way to go?

MAX 

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 08:57:39 AM »
It's most likely just paint. They use a heavy duty paint on these boards. Generally, epoxy doesn't "chip" from a paddle, from what I've seen. Anyone?

I'm betting it's largely cosmetic but it is strange how rails get more ding resistant at the same rate that paddlers progress. Must be the epoxy getting harder over time. ;)

Flying Walrus

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 10:13:58 AM »
Mosheva, how did you guess?
The paint chips don't trouble me. It's the long cracks on the bottom below the rail and on top above the rail that have me freaked out.
The cracks below are in an area that rides in the water. No paddle strikes reach there. Also roof straps go nowhere near there.
Not under warranty in any way. I bought it "barely used" second hand and bargained the price down because of the chipped paint and a deep ding that was easily filled. Maybe I ignored some warning signs because the price was right.
The cracks to me look like some sort of failure not blunt force.
Should I just sand them down and cover with marine epoxy?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 10:36:33 AM by Flying Walrus »

Flying Walrus

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 10:27:13 AM »
a better look at the bottom cracks

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 10:43:49 AM »
I would sand just the loose paint (don't go too crazy) with 40-80 grit.  Then fill the low spots with a marine spot putty.  Sand smooth to 150-400.  Tape everything off and spray with Rustoleum Universal (for plastics) "Canary Yellow" for Naish color match (also known as Pantone 123).

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 10:58:11 AM »
Can this be repaired? Is it worth trying to repair? It appears to me that the board may have just been a "lemon" from the start, maybe one of a bad batch or something. Do you think I have any recourse with the manufacturer?

Anything can be "repaired" You may not like the result.

Is it worth it? Depends on what it is worth to you..and what it cost to repair..and what the repair yields cosmetically.

This board needs a full rail wrap. Couple hundred easy..
Paint is fairly easy to match on these...

To me it looks like an older model..the Serial Number will tell...
Warranty is for 1 Year

Good Luck...

Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

mosheva

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 11:44:19 AM »
Flying Walrus, I guessed it was a Naish board since I also suffer from similar issues with my 9.10 Hokua 2014 GT SUP.

Every thing is reparable and I think you should take care of some of the cracks that looks not that good before water will penetrate the foam...

I don't know if this method is good or not or if it gives any kind of indication but I do it to spot a ding/crack or a color that chips...
I just suck the crack [doesn't sound good :) ] and if I can suck air it's tell me that it is indeed a crack and water can penetrate the foam

what model is your board? what year? I think they do had a bad batch...

try also to sand it a bit just so you can see if it is the paint that chips or it is an actual crack...
on my board most of the times that I saw a "spider" lines crack it was a ding and I had to do a fiber work... some might say that for hair line crack epoxy is enough but I like to be on the safe side...

Good luck and welcome to the family of Naish the batch that got wrong :)

Flying Walrus

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 03:52:23 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback.

It's a 2014 Mana.
I'm showing my ignorance of SUP construction here. Is the yellow coating on a Naish just paint?

@Ralph from SUP-position - I'm into the board for $800 so I think a repair bill in the $200 range still puts me ahead of the game. Boards aren't cheap here in Puerto Rico. Do you think just patching up the trouble spots is shortsighted? That similar cracks are likely to erupt around the board without a full rail wrap? What is a full rail wrap?

Thanks again.

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 05:40:01 PM »
A full rail wrap is used when the rails are failing..
Could be from constant impact with paddle (see this a lot on Pro Rider Boards)
Also if the construction has a termination where there are dissimilar flexes.
This is prevalent with carbon rail boards..the carbon is stiff and the fiberglass is flexible..
so you will get stress cracks along the transition..
I have seen this with heavier riders weight causing the deck to flex, the weak spot is the transition to the stiffer material, sometimes it is the Austrailian Pine Veneer or Bamboo Deck to rail transisiton..

I would argue that it is a Manufacrturers Defect...then you will get a replacement..
or minimally a credit...still under a year..

What is done is an additonal layer of fabric usually of the same type laid/glassed over the entire rail to reinforce it. Sand and finish...can look new if done right.
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 06:36:23 PM »
What Suposition is talking about are stress risers.  But unlike some boards, the Naish boards don't generally have that inherent weakness.  However, they do sometimes suffer from bad paint which only require cosmetic paint repair.  When you sand the chips and cracks down you will see how deep the damage is.  If its only superficial, treat it accordingly. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal