Author Topic: The Smokin' but Sometimes Fickle South Side Report  (Read 98485 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: The Smokin' but Sometimes Fickle South Side Report
« Reply #270 on: February 03, 2016, 09:46:27 AM »
2K looks like a possible 15mnph Maliko. Bad combo, rising north swell and light wind, but I'm wind starved enough to go. Let's keep an eye on it. Peak should be around 1:00PM.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 03, 2016, 10:03:20 AM »
Let me know!

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 03, 2016, 10:11:05 AM »
You guys are nucking futz

Good times. Paddling out of the gulch on a fat swell and crossing outer outer outer kanaha. Oh well,  you could always come in at sandpiles
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 10:13:37 AM by covesurfer »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 03, 2016, 01:30:20 PM »
Swell has a lot of west in it, I figure the harbor will be flat, but no matter the wind looks too weenie. Speaking of weenie, I scored these DaKine paddling compression pants at the Hawaiian Island Surf and Sport going out of biz sale. compression plus a little butt padding. Didn't know they made thses. They're trick.

Do these make my butt look fat? What butt, you geezer. thank god for sconces.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 01:33:28 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 03, 2016, 02:19:54 PM »
Swell has a lot of west in it, I figure the harbor will be flat, but no matter the wind looks too weenie. Speaking of weenie, I scored these DaKine paddling compression pants at the Hawaiian Island Surf and Sport going out of biz sale. compression plus a little butt padding. Didn't know they made thses. They're trick.

Do these make my butt look fat? What butt, you geezer. thank god for sconces.

Oh sweet Jesus. I've tried to gouge my eyes out but I just can't unsee this. Pono, WTF has come over you? Nevermind, I don't even wanna know.

I went out at the harbor around 8:30. It was glassy and flat, but sets would come in and there were perfect head high A-frames at the middle buoy. About 9, a mob had formed. In between set waves, which were usually sets of 1 or maybe 2, it was a long wait and, as I said before, virtually flat.

The handful of perfect waves in the harbor whet my whistle so I moved on to Kanaha. Saw Kathy in the parking lot and she told me it was super fun but to watch out for the bombs.  Went out, paddled down in front of the tower and then out. Made it outside on my first try and got a nice shoulder high wave that began to roll and then reformed on the inside, shallow reef into a second edition. Fun, took it way inside.

Turned around to go back out and it was relentless. I fought it for a while, then turned and caught a big, messy, half-breaking, head high and took that in to the inside. Spent the rest of the session trying to get out, getting hammered by the remnants of the big outside stuff and watching the wind rise. At least I got a good workout. And, at least I didn't post selfies of me modeling tights. So there's that. 

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 12, 2016, 12:14:28 PM »
LPB, Southbay, Kathy and I teamed up for a smokin' late afternoon southside run yesterday. Wind was probably around 20 to 25 at the top, gradually going glassy as we made our way 10 miles down the coast to Makena. This is the first really windy southside run I've had in at least 6 months. Everyone was pretty stoked. Here's some vid, kind of long, but there are some moments of sheer perfection, even though that darn fisheye lense diminishes it. Best viewed in HD.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 12, 2016, 12:24:58 PM »
Nice bumps. I was going crazy sitting on the beach, driving Diane crazy. We had her Volt with just my surfboard on the rack. At one point I decided to take the thrusters out of my Foote and run from Polo to Makena but the wind suddely shifted way outside. Ah well.

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 12, 2016, 12:38:42 PM »
That was such a fun run!  It has been way too long.  I saw you post this and got all excited, but then I had to scroll past Pono in his tights again!  haha 

That was my fastest Kihei run ever, even though the wind died at the end.  Mile 4 I got under 6 minutes. 5:54 to be exact, or 10.1 mph.  Now If I could do that for 28 miles and be on my SUP I could be as fast as Connor! 

Thanks for going!  Looks like Maliko tomorrow.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 12:44:12 PM by Southbay »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 12, 2016, 01:08:38 PM »
Seriously though, do those make my butt look big? Or is it the french fries at Colleen's.

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 12, 2016, 03:45:53 PM »
Wait,,What??? 
Hawaiian Island Surf and Sport going out of biz sale.

Really???

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 12, 2016, 03:56:42 PM »
Seriously though, do those make my butt look big? Or is it the french fries at Colleen's.

Don't they have butt padding? 

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 12, 2016, 04:46:49 PM »
Wait,,What??? 

Really???

Yes. It's true. I went in the store day before yesterday. Not a lot left. I'd gone in at the beginning of the sale, a few weeks ago, and everything looked normal, now the place is clearly almost gone. Sad.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #282 on: February 12, 2016, 10:03:57 PM »
Wait,,What??? 

Really???

Yes. It's true. I went in the store day before yesterday. Not a lot left. I'd gone in at the beginning of the sale, a few weeks ago, and everything looked normal, now the place is clearly almost gone. Sad.
What a sappy guy.  Sad is a lot more severe than a store close.   BTW your video was great.  Just need to combine cam footage from two or three cams and it'd be outasight.  Some of the Shep shots were unreal.

I got dirt in my fingernails, PBill is calling me Bin Laden the farmer now, and I'm seeing this vid and cringing.  Can't wait to go.  Maybe we charge Maliko tomorrow.  Neva mind the outside sets.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 17, 2016, 09:02:37 PM »
Kihei delivered today. Headmount, Pono, a new paddling friend, Will, and others all scored. It was blowing out so we launched at the Canoe Club and we finished at Sorrentos. Good all the way with some ridiculous gusts, high 30's, maybe even 40 a couple of times. Even when crossed up, Kihei makes you feel like a hero. My first run was my first standup downwinder in at least 3 weeks or more and I had zero falls and felt really good. And with the intense wind, you could catch almost everything. Our newest guy did fantastic, he's fast and surfs very well. If he gets a Bullet, he'll drop us all. Both HM and PB smoked the run, everybody was super stoked at the end.

We saw Kathy and LPB at the end. They'd both gone in their skis. It was kind of an intense day to be in a long craft. Personally, I was glad to be on standup given the strength of the gusts and the short period waves. It seems you can go across the grain better on a craft that has rails. Boats get blown around if they're at all sideways to the wind. Anyway....

After we finished the first run, we decided it was good enough to do another. HM dropped PB, Will and I at the canoe club again and we went. The second run was just as good as the first but the really huge gusts were not as long or as frequent. The surface was maybe a little more crossed up. Both runs, the waves seemed really close together, but especially on run 2. I must have fallen 5 times, including walking right off the back of the board three times! It was kind of funny. My hero session had ended but it was still a whole lot of fun. Both runs were fast. Pono, Will and I finished with big grins.  When I took Pono back up to the top to retrieve his truck, it was still blowing just as strong as earlier and the direction was even better, more straight down the pipe and less offshore. Hoping we will get some more of this. Really hoping.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 09:04:52 PM by covesurfer »

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #284 on: February 17, 2016, 09:22:58 PM »
Yep what Cove said.  Sooo good to finally have a good one. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal