Author Topic: The Smokin' but Sometimes Fickle South Side Report  (Read 98498 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: The Smokin' but Sometimes Fickle South Side Report
« Reply #225 on: March 23, 2015, 02:39:34 PM »
Yeah, that was a grim one. The first third was the toughest for me. I started well, and was getting what glides could be had from the first wind and swells, staying more or less in touch with the leaders, just behind Ron and Bill, but the gusty, squally onshore wind made the surface go nuts.  When it started getting insanely churned up, I started falling and couldn't stop. I fell probably ten times before Mana Kai, and the falls sapped my energy. I went all the way to second to last, with only Peggy behind me, and she was getting ready to pass. I couldn't stand up after the tenth or so fall, my bad knee was wobbling and I was just done. I thought about heading in, but then I though "yeah, and then get on the first tour bus".

Fortunately the surface cleaned up a little bit and I was able to paddle. Unfortunately there was no help to be had from wind or swell. So I just put my head down, cleaned up my stroke, and started pushing. After a little while I started passing people, and finally I could see Kayadog, Headmount, Randy Royce, and Masao up ahead. I decided that I was going to pass them all as penance for my earlier wimpiness. So I picked up the pace, cleaned up my stroke more, and started getting more hip and core into the stroke. By the time I got to Boyum I was nearly in a trance. I set my sights on Masao since he was in the lead of our little group. I wanted to get Kaya too, but Masao was the target. Every time I'd gain a little on Kaya he'd pick it up a little. I didn't think he saw me, but from his actions I guess he did. I never caught him, but I passed Randy in the last half mile and was about a hundred feet behind Masao at the end. Given that I was coming from almost dead last I was pretty pleased with my performance and the adrenaline gave me a high that probably kept me from pitching on my face.

When Bill finally came in he looked green. I dug up some fruit juice for him and kept an eye on him while I slammed down two beers. Given my state they went straight to my head, but I probably burned all that alcohol out in five minutes. I was incoherent just long enough to give Greg's daughter Abby some really horrible advice about house-sitting for her Mom. Greg--tell Abbey she needs to erase that from her memory, though I'm sure she thought I was just a brain-dead old fart anyway.

Bill wasn't improving, so I suggested we get the heck out of dodge. I figured I might have to take him to an ER if he looked any worse. Diane offered to pick up his truck for him and leave her car at the Canoe Hale, but Bill said he was good. I took his gear to his house and waited for him to show up, told Shirley he was toast and to call me if he needed help. Still green, but he was in good hands, and I was so hungry I could have eaten roadkill.

Went home, cooked some steaks and a big pile of bok choy and peapods. Ate about half as much as I thought I would. Extreme exercise is funny stuff.

Incidentally, Ryan Murphey's 1:38:19.10 was for the LONG course, unofficial because SUPs are supposed to run the short course. The guy is an animal.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 02:51:15 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 26, 2015, 02:08:37 AM »
Today's south sider was on the light side. But, like something sweet after something bitter, it wiped the bad taste away from Saturday's brutal race.

There was supposed to be a bit of south swell coming in so I headed over in the morning to surf. Took my little quad board. Why do I believe surf reports? Yeah, there were some sets that were decent but few and far between and the wind was making a mess of things already and it was only 9:15.

My little 28" wide board was not fun, I could barely stand on it in the chop, even though there were occasional decent faces up at Bowls.  I fell a bunch of times just paddling around trying to stay in position. All while thinking of Ron's pictures of the big Tiger from a few days back. I think I was out half an hour and got two bumpy, rough head high waves. And, I was lucky I got those.

Finally, I decided, maybe it wouldn't be so rough down at the Cove. But, there was hardly any bump there. PB showed, and Ron was out on his 12'6", doing all kind of cool tricks, like he usually does. But surfing a little quad in ankle to knee high is a no go. Should have brought a bigger board along. I watched from the sea wall. The white caps kept building. The swell didn't.

What came out of that sort of wasted morning trip over was hatching a plan for an afternoon downwind run. PB, Ron, Kathy and I rallied at Polo around 2. We all threw on to PB's rig and rode up together to the canoe hale. I wanted to start at the ponds, if only because I didn't want to be in the same spot as we started for that hateful race on Saturday. But, it looked decent so we unloaded and launched.

Wind was on the lighter side, I'm guessing 15 to low 20's. But there was a decent bump and it was nice and clean. You could catch a lot and you could also string the glides together to get some good speed and keep it going. Oh, if only Saturday could have been so modestly good.

Pono went way outside and I stayed inside of him maybe 100 to 200 yards. Ron and Kathy went further inside. It seemed to me the wind was better further out so I stayed out there. Even though I was almost constantly having to paddle, I was also getting a huge push from the swell train. It seemed like I was on nearly continuous glide but I had to paddle hard to keep in the energy. That was ok. A far cry from race day conditions. When I got to Polo, I surfed the last 1/4 mile at the perfect angle, flying right into the finish. As I'm standing in the surf, getting my paddle in the loops, I fortunately glanced outside to see a pretty decent sized set coming straight in. I pushed myself and my gear out quickly. After 4 waves that would have pounded me if I hadn't moved out, I made a beeline for the beach and had a quick exit with no drama.

We were all pretty stoked with the run, even though it was definitely on the lighter side. When I was dropping PB off at the top after our run, LPB was just getting ready to launch in the ski. It still looked good. I think I got rid of the bad taste from Saturday for sure. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 26, 2015, 10:21:28 AM »
It's going to be insane on the Southside today. The wind at my house is howling and the water looks like the north sea in wintertime. Almost straight north. Maui2k shows bright red all along the South coast with good direction. Kayadog missed it by a day.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 26, 2015, 06:06:16 PM »
Tough to sit it out today. I sprained my foot somehow either in the race or soon after. Can't hardly flex my toes at all and there's a fair amount of pain. Feels like a serious stone bruise to the pad behind my toes. It was like this yesterday and I wanted to go so I did. Ended up waking up at 3 am thinking I'd probably gotten another staph infection. Checked in with a doc first thing and he's pretty sure no infection, just a sprain.

Wind looked really good from my place. I'm grumpy but I'm hoping to see a good report. I'm icing and elevating hoping for a run tomorrow.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 26, 2015, 07:36:54 PM »
I would never give you grief about missing a great run {sissy} because of an injury. We all know the best thing to do is rest and elevation {pussy}, but you did miss an awesome run. Kayadog did too {loser} by leaving the day before one of the best runs of the year {knucklehead} but I understand, an insanely short vacation in paradise is better than none at all {nutball}.

It was smoking right from the sand. About a hundred yards out I got into the face of a heavy leftie and ran Boyum over. It will be at least a year before he forgives me. Everybody and their brother went today. Jeremy, Travis Baptiste, Dave K, Andrea, Devin, Peggy, Masao, Ron St. John, Ryan Murphey, Bill, me. We were into big Maliko-size drops at about the second mile, well before any normal run. I pitched into a hole that I couldn't steer out of--well overhead. I ran to the back of the board but it didn't matter--lawn dart, and being on the tail just meant it tossed me further. Then my board hit me in the back, and when I got to the surface it cartwheeled over my head, hit the end of the leash and came back at me. So that was fun.

Aweome run, by the Four Seasons I was screaming "I am a downwind god!", with only one fall and hundreds of awesome glides. then I got in too far and found a confused mess with no wind to help me power through. I fell a few hundred times, and finally got wise and paddled back out into the wind. Took a while to work back out, but then it was good again. I looked way ahead and saw someone turning in out on the horizon. I could tell they were already past Makena when they turned. I think it was Kalama. I didn't talk to him--he was gone by the time I got in. I was going to rib him about not remembering where Makena Landing is.  Boyum said he missed it and had to paddle back.

Really fun run. I should have gone out further and stayed out longer, but it's hard to screw up a run that good.

I am a downwind GOD!!  Or at least 3/4ths of one.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 07:40:49 PM by PonoBill »

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 27, 2015, 01:11:22 AM »
I pitched into a hole that I couldn't steer out of--well overhead. I ran to the back of the board but it didn't matter--lawn dart, and being on the tail just meant it tossed me further. Then my board hit me in the back, and when I got to the surface it cartwheeled over my head, hit the end of the leash and came back at me. So that was fun.

So, a typical day then.... ;D

Sorry to miss it but not sorry I didn't go. I can't walk without limping and my foot is aching. I don't know what I did to it, but I'm still icing in the probably stupid hope that I can go tomorrow.

Glad you guys had a great run. No, really.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #231 on: March 27, 2015, 11:02:56 AM »
Yesterday we launched from the pond so while an even longer run, for me it took an hour less than last saturday's race.  An hour difference in over ten miles is the difference between DW paddle surfing and slogging thru side slop.  But much more important than the time difference was the difference in how we all felt at the end.  Everyone was smiling not grimacing in pain.  It was very revitalizing to the spirit.  So I'm not quitting SUP. 

As PBill stated it was great right out of the gate and I saddled up about 10 feet away to keep him motivated into gliding.  He did and immediately ran me over.  I leaped off to minimize impact as   he cruised away.  Felt like grabbing his board as I went down a la Kai Lenny but figured it was a clean kill. 

WD was all time, and you could go left or right without navigational worries.  Turned out the wind veered onshore towards the end so guys like Jeremy and Dave went way offshore with the strongest flow without any penalty.  They were all on 18+ boards that looked like spears... something to see.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 27, 2015, 02:30:01 PM »
I can't believe how narrow those aliens are going. I expect to see them under 18 inches next year. I'm sure Jeremy could handle it. He's standing backwards shooting pictures on something around 22" and walking around on it like it was dry land.

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #233 on: March 27, 2015, 03:22:53 PM »
I would never give you grief about missing a great run {sissy} because of an injury. We all know the best thing to do is rest and elevation {pussy}, but you did miss an awesome run. Kayadog did too {loser} by leaving the day before one of the best runs of the year {knucklehead} but I understand, an insanely short vacation in paradise is better than none at all {nutball}.

Ouch. 5 days was just enough to know that our next trip will be at least double that, if not triple. It sure is paradise. I've been in a daze since I've been back.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: March 27, 2015, 08:07:31 PM »
Kaya, missed saying aloha after the race. I guess that was you that was checking in with PB and Dianne while I was also harassing him.

As for the time on Maui thing, I recommend coming for as long as you possibly can afford. You'll be in the water doing something really fun every damn day. And, when you finally get a day away from the water, there are amazing things to do and see all over the island. Glad you had a great trip!

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #235 on: March 27, 2015, 09:28:28 PM »

Ouch. 5 days was just enough to know that our next trip will be at least double that, if not triple. It sure is paradise. I've been in a daze since I've been back.
Sorry I missed you.  Was kinda out of it when I saw you post race.  Next time.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Gotchas
« Reply #236 on: April 12, 2015, 11:53:03 AM »
Cove has two Gotchas coming. That's when you reach between a person's legs when they not paying attention and yank their nuts down to their knees. One to alert him to the possibilities and the second to keep him guessing.  It may not come for years.

Yesterday I was happily carving away on some really great swells when Cove snuck up behind me, got within a few feet of me and then screamed something at me. Scared the living crap out of me. If I'd had my wits about me I'd have clutched my left arm and fallen in the water, face down. But it took me several minutes to stop gibbering. So. Gotchas.

It was a great run yesterday. lined up perfectly for Polo, maybe for Makena too, but it didn't look great when we started. In bumps within a hundred yards of the beach, and they were surf-able in half a mile. Ponds to Polo is about eight miles, and it was connected rides all the way.

Coming in to Polo sucks though--it's a wide each, but it gets shore pound, and the tourists seem especially stupid. In those movie car chase scenes where people jump out of the way at the last minute they'd all be the ones rolling up the hood into the windshield.   I had to cut hard left into an empty spot just as a set hit, because three people suddenly wandered directly into my chosen path. It actually looked like they were trying to get hit--javelin catchers.  I got mowed and my board flew up in the air, but no damage, no injuries. A 17 foot board flying through the air looks pretty dramatic though, so I only had four or five people get in my way when I was carrying it in the strong wind gusts, instead of the usual twenty.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 11:58:35 AM by PonoBill »

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #237 on: April 13, 2015, 03:14:26 PM »
Yesterday's southside run featured excellent conditions.  My board was in the shop after a banana peel, land on the tail, crack the board, fall.  So My pal from Alberta, Steve, lent me his V2, originally made for Conner.  Raced the board before and it performed very well yesterday as well.  The extra width didn't seem to bother me on the run. 

What did bother me was some straggling whale that should have been making its way north to Alaska.  Didn't it get the memo?  When I suddenly heard a loud crack, the noise was close and very disconcerting.  20 yds away this lingering whale was doing some kind of Michael Phelps butterfly with low high velocity breaches landing with a belly flop and hard tail slaps.  The overall power made me feel very insignificant and spooked.  But figuring that sticking around was a sign of aggression, I put the throttle down best as possible and focused on getting away from it tout suite.  My stomach was firmly stuck in my throat.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 13, 2015, 05:04:02 PM »
Yeah, that guy was a pest. I passed way too close to him. I headed parallel to him so I could keep him in sight, but he veered toward me. Not spooky because he quit doing those weird bellyflop breaches as he got closer to the edge of the reef trench off Sorrentos, but he went by me close enough to touch. He was skinny. Definitely time to head for the Krill bar. There was a whacky bunch in the cove below our house this morning, so he's not alone. I heard the young males will hang out long after the main pack is gone, hoping to find a stray cow I guess. Like the guys that strike out at a singles bar, hanging around till closing time.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #239 on: May 02, 2015, 11:55:13 PM »
South shore had excellent conditions today.  First DW run on a standup in many years.  It was great fun. 

Support your local shaper

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal