Author Topic: The Smokin' but Sometimes Fickle South Side Report  (Read 98483 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: The Smokin' but Sometimes Fickle South Side Report
« Reply #150 on: March 03, 2015, 09:58:51 AM »
Oooh, you get in onemacanu from wrong side. Very bad mojo. Now your testicles gonna fall off.

I have to admit, that looked like a sporty car passing a truck. And that was hardly an outside line--edge of the wind. What I would call the "can still see Chan and Jack Dyson off on the horizon" line. Or more currently, Devin and Andrea.

We're going to have to text Larry about the wind, which will probably make him grumpy since I'm pretty sure he can't go. Maybe it's better to just look at the cams. The cams don't get pissed.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #151 on: March 05, 2015, 09:06:11 PM »
Big fatties towards the end today!   Impressive self save by Southbay.  Cancel on the wood shafts.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #152 on: March 05, 2015, 10:01:43 PM »

We're going to have to text Larry about the wind, which will probably make him grumpy since I'm pretty sure he can't go. Maybe it's better to just look at the cams. The cams don't get pissed.

Not angry at all.  I don't mind looking at the ocean when it's windy.  Texting the group is kinda fun.  Answering phone calls about the wind can be distracting and I'd prefer not to.  Glad you guys are scoring.

That high pressure system is ideal for the south shore.  It will be excellent for days on end.
Support your local shaper

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
The Smokin' but Sometimes Fickle South Side Report
« Reply #153 on: March 05, 2015, 10:06:54 PM »
Yeah today was an adventure, and made a damn good case for taking the SUP in big conditions. 

Kihei was cranking today.  HM, Pono, Cove, Kathy and I all signed up for a 1pm run.  Kathy was trying a OC-1 for the first time (she is planning on winning the waterman award this weekend, already taken 1st place in Ski and SUP the last two weekends) so I was paddling near her on my OC-1 giving her a couple tips.  We were probably a mile into the run, and about a half mile off shore.  I caught a nice little runner, lifted up the ama, put a little pressure on the paddle and SNAP.  My 6 mos old hybrid (carbon and wood) $300 QB paddle snapped right at the neck and with nothing to lean on, over I went.  Luckily for me Kathy was right there and I had the foresight to give her my truck key, so she could finish the run and bring it to me.  My plan was to just edge my way toward shore as I sat and paddled with my finger tips.  Kathy wanted to help me get to shore, but I didn't want to ruin her run, and I wanted her to hurry and get back up to me!  It took me about 10 seconds to realize that my first plan was not going to work.  2nd plan, lay down and paddle it in.  Not super comfy and fairly difficult with the ama upwind.  I just threw my leg over the ama, put my head down and paddled.  After a bit I got pretty good at using my chin to use the rudder pedals.  Good thing the Kai Wa'a boats are center sprung!  15 minutes later I was on shore. 

I was so lucky that I was in Kihei.  If I was on a Maliko any surf at all would have made it much more difficult.  Clear heads prevailed.  Having a good team on your side is paramount. 

Super bummed that I missed what looked like it was going to be an epic run, but its good to have a couple self saves under your belt just in case things get scary.  I am definitely going to take a spare paddle on big days, and its a good reminder how important it is to keep an eye on each other and carry a phone. 

Side note: called my buddy who paddles with Travis Grant all the time and he said Travis breaks the QB's "all the time".  Love my all Carbon v-drive on my SUP.....maybe I'll get the OC-1 version.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 10:08:26 PM by Southbay »

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #154 on: March 05, 2015, 10:17:29 PM »
I made a video, it's under 4 minutes and, I don't think it's all that great but I just don't have the patience for editing these things. Still, I got a few highlights, the crew leaving at the top, PB out in the middle of the ocean, a huli and a few fast sections. When conditions are marginal but there are bumps, boats are amazing. They cut through a lot and when they release, you just fly.

CS. Great to see the conditions you are paddling in and PB in the middle. I know the pain of editing well and it does get quickler with TOTC (time on the computer). Thanks for spending the time and sharing. I for one appreciate this!  :)
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 06, 2015, 06:01:13 AM »
Boy, yesterday was really good, especially those big fat rollers at the end. It was offshore from the middle on, and I was pretty far out. I thought I would move in slowly by taking a lot of lefts, and I got some real smokers going against the wind and the prevailing swell, but all it took was one long run going "straight" to be back outside the cinder cone. The swells were going so strongly out that "straight" meant right. So I started taking nothing but lefts, and that wasn't working, with the wind blowing into my left ear and the whole surface moving toward kahoolawe. I decided to just turn towards the shore and pound it out, which made me grumpy because it would ruin the last bit of the run, but then I noticed that the biggest swells were contacting bottom up ahead and refracting towards shore. So I paddled like hell for one of the big swells, dropped down to the bottom and turned hard left, and it carried me a hundred yards in towards shore. A few more of those and I was lined up for my usual inside channel ending, which is kind of the cherry on top of the Sunday. I don't know why, I just like it.

Gotta say, for a guy who's been sitting a lot in his onemacanu, Gregg hasn't lost any speed on a SUP. He was zig-zagging back and forth way up ahead getting these loooong glides across the face of the waves. The further ahead he got, the longer the zig-zags were. Impressive. I guess Larry is right about canoe seat time making for a better SUP paddler. I'd do it if my back and hips would take it. And of course there's all the shit I'd be taking from Gregg.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #156 on: March 06, 2015, 06:59:14 AM »

I was so lucky that I was in Kihei.  If I was on a Maliko any surf at all would have made it much more difficult. 

Good one SB!  I broke 2 wood ones and a carbon one, all on the south shore.

Great idea to have a spare.  Like you said, a maliko run without a paddle is a very expensive day.  White water will easily break that leash.  At the least, the cuff will slide over your calf.  If you think a big standup yanks your leg, try a boat sometime.  Top ski guys that surf on Maui have quick releases to prevent a broken leg. 

Carry a spare and rig it to the boat, not the ama.  Keep the ama light.   I rigged up a set of bungee loops on the back of my outrigger.  It mounted parallel to the hull rather than strapped to the rear iako.

Any old paddle will do for a spare.  Carry rubber to tie up the rudder or fashion a cushion on a stump of a paddle shaft.  Or if you need to help someone else with a repair. 

Ask Kai's advice on paddle choice.  That v drive may not be the ticket for an outrigger stroke.  Try one of Kai's wood ones.  The carbon ones break too.  Kai's sponsor makes excellent blades.  I forget the name, but they are worth looking at.  All the great paddlers love them.

Edit. Saturday forcast is looking good.  Shame about the maliko race being onshore and light when the south is so good but it happens all the time.  As usual, I'll be going where the wind is.  Good day for a spare paddle and tourists beware.  That wind is vicious and pushes out. 

« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 07:19:15 AM by LaPerouseBay »
Support your local shaper

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #157 on: March 06, 2015, 07:12:16 AM »
I know what you mean by cherry on top. I love that south side finish through the slot. it looks a little sketchy at 1st but even with my crappy skills it was pretty straightforward. Seemed like every time I got there it was a washing machine just outside, but catch the right swell and ride it through the slot and then it goes dead calm, the last 200 yards are a chance to reflect on the run (in my case being glad I made it without swimming too much). Such a beautiful spot to finish as well.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 07:45:17 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 06, 2015, 10:01:47 AM »
Those are great pictures Stoney!  Love all the kids up on Kathy's board.

Larry, I spoke to my friend on Oahu and he is going to get me a Manaka Ali'i, which is the paddle to get, but it is a brutal waiting list.  He knows the guy really well, so hopefully it won't be too long.  I have a backup Manaka now, so I'll probably use that in the mean time.

If I didn't say it enough, thanks to Kathy and Cove for picking me up and being such a great support team!  Really would have been drama if they weren't there to help.

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 06, 2015, 10:06:23 AM »
I emailed this video to Cove because I was feeling guilty about so much OC-1 posting....but he didn't get it, so here it is:

Good wind run on Tuesday.  Not really good wind, but pretty damn good.  Lots of shots of both canoes

http://youtu.be/mVBAMU8R2VM

Those tunes are specifically for you HM!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 06, 2015, 10:15:40 AM »
Is that the kind of music Cove plays in his van? No wonder you hate riding with him.

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 06, 2015, 10:21:19 AM »
Is that the kind of music Cove plays in his van? No wonder you hate riding with him.

Yea, but I think he only puts it on to keep me from talking about the YMCA!

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 06, 2015, 10:35:34 AM »

Nevah happened. Don't start giving SB a hard time too, all of us are going to rise up, tie you down on the beach and let the ants get you. You need to keep a few friends Bill.

If you want to be a better stand up downwind paddler or, even, a better stand up paddler in general, there is a secret out there: Sit down. Think about it, DK, Scott T., and Andrea to name a few. But, that small few are some of the world's best. I don't know what it is about the OC but, if you put the effort in, it is very effective at refining the paddle stroke and helping you to read the water. It has certainly helped me.

SB, thanks for posting the vid. You got some great footage though it's deceptive. It almost looks like I was keeping up with you but I was going full-tilt and barely keeping on your 6. But, I was liking it. And, I'm not giving you any crap about the music. My next video will have Steppenwolf as the background.

We're getting a nice long run of good days over on the south side. It has been a monsoon at my house on the north side but today and the weekend all look promising for more Kihei/Makena runs. Hope LPB can get out there soon. By the way, excellent info from LPB about spare paddle attachment as well as paddle choices. It's kind of weird that there are very few paddles available locally that are top notch. Maybe I need to go down to Kai's shop again (will be 2nd time this week). One thing for sure, I'm not going again without a spare. I'm really glad SB was able to get in ok and that this mishap happened in a place where it was easy to make a beach - almost no surf, no reefs, no bad currents. Like LPB says, on the north side, yesterday could have been a very expensive day.

PB: Actually, as much fun as it is to give you pretty much endless shit about everything, I would not give you a hard time about jumping in your onemacanu. It is really amazing what some seat time will do for your balance, stroke and timing. Just sayin'. You have a great boat. On one of the lighter days, BRING IT! You'll be hooked. That vid SB made was a pretty small day that would have been just ok on stand up but was a blast sitting down. Here's a cool selfie from yesterday.

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 06, 2015, 10:50:05 AM »
Those clouds look killer!  Today is looking good (fingers crossed)!  It's already completely white capped in Kihei.  The rain cloud is sitting at the top, but it is setting up to be a good one.  I have the SUP today, and I am done work today at noon.  Let me know what the plan is!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 10:58:54 AM by Southbay »

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 06, 2015, 08:32:18 PM »
Here's a mercifully short vid of yesterday's smokin' run. Although I got HM on the vid, this was on the slowest, must lulled out part of the run. 

Today was windier and I had one of my fastest Kihei's ever, even with tree, count em, tree falls.
We had a big group out there today and it was definitely blowing out but going left was a blast so staying on the line was not an issue.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal