Author Topic: The Smokin' but Sometimes Fickle South Side Report  (Read 98497 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Smokin' but Sometimes Fickle South Side Report
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2014, 08:44:51 AM »
And that's the beauty of a paddling unit like we have.  It pushes us all to our own best, sling shotting each of us forward by increasing our mental viewpoint of what is possible.  I started this activity 10 years ago at 54 and am more stoked than ever.  Added to that is the quality of friendship that I've experienced with our team.   The energy that everyone has to get better and pull the others with them is fantastic.   Never experienced this in any other sport.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2014, 11:50:08 AM »
09:30 and it's smoking on the southside. Whitecaps everywhere and the flag at the sunseeker is bending the flagpole. And I'm making @#*&+^ stuffing.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2014, 11:58:40 AM »
I too decided to stay home and cook. Ah marriage

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2014, 12:16:06 PM »
Called Cove and he first said he and SouthBay were going boating.  I said I was going on a beach walk with Shirley and he howled about making him look bad.  Turned out they all did what I'm doing, spending time with the one who takes care of us.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2014, 12:55:55 PM »
bon appetit

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2014, 02:45:11 PM »
The good and the bad:

Lovely table Diane set for our Thanksgiving guests

The rip-poaring Maliko wind that's right behind the window. We're going to have to sit Bill and Gregg looking away from the window or they'll do nothing but groan.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2014, 07:22:45 PM »
You'll all be mellowed out once the tryptophan kicks in..
Happy thanksgiving!
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2014, 06:49:06 PM »
Day after Thanksgiving and the wind was turning on early this morning. We worked out a 12:30 meet up time at Makena. It was full on north wind, lined up perfectly and super high horsepower. One of the best southside days since last Winter.  Large crew of paddlers showed up, probably around 10 of us. Mostly the usual suspects but some other regular north side paddlers that are now doing more and more south side runs joined us too. Now that they have experienced how good it is, they are starting to show up regularly for south siders as well as Malikos. Supdiscobay launched with us too. Supdisco, today was all time, as good as it gets on the south side of Maui.

SB was unfortunately not there today. I had an absolutely screaming fast run. If SB had paddled, I'm sure he would have been even faster. Here are the splits per mile from today. Some of these are just unreal. And, I probably fell 6 or 7 times. One of my best runs ever. When I'd get up after a fall, the wind was blowing so hard that I was almost instantly back on a wave. It was nucking futz. We may be in for a couple more days of this too. When we went back to retrieve cars, we talked about another run because the wind was still full on. Sure hope we get another couple like today!

Laps11
View Splits
Split
Time
Distance
Avg Speed
Summary   1:20:25.3   10.47   7.8
1   9:32.3   1.00   6.3
2   7:31.5   1.00   8.0
3   7:22.5   1.00   8.1
4   6:30.2   1.00   9.2
5   6:45.0   1.00   8.9
6   7:05.7   1.00   8.5
7   7:47.2   1.00   7.7
8   7:48.5   1.00   7.7
9   7:29.0   1.00   8.0
10   8:07.5   1.00   7.4
11   4:25.7   0.47   6.4

Photo by Stephen Ross
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 06:52:51 PM by covesurfer »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2014, 07:44:53 PM »
It was super fun, but hard to control the nose of my V2. I was perched on the tail for a lot of the run, and was STILL doing the occasional face plant. Still, super long glides and lots of big runs to either side. I should have stayed out further. And we should have done a second run.

I assume Supdisco lived, at least I hope so. I figure he went in at Sorrentos. Fun day if you're used to insanity, but it might have been a bit much to take all the way to Makena.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2014, 08:09:27 PM »
Day after Thanksgiving and the wind was turning on early this morning. We worked out a 12:30 meet up time at Makena. It was full on north wind, lined up perfectly and super high horsepower. One of the best southside days since last Winter.  Large crew of paddlers showed up, probably around 10 of us. Mostly the usual suspects but some other regular north side paddlers that are now doing more and more south side runs joined us too. Now that they have experienced how good it is, they are starting to show up regularly for south siders as well as Malikos. Supdiscobay launched with us too. Supdisco, today was all time, as good as it gets on the south side of Maui.

SB was unfortunately not there today. I had an absolutely screaming fast run. If SB had paddled, I'm sure he would have been even faster. Here are the splits per mile from today. Some of these are just unreal. And, I probably fell 6 or 7 times. One of my best runs ever. When I'd get up after a fall, the wind was blowing so hard that I was almost instantly back on a wave. It was nucking futz. We may be in for a couple more days of this too. When we went back to retrieve cars, we talked about another run because the wind was still full on. Sure hope we get another couple like today!

Laps11
View Splits
Split
Time
Distance
Avg Speed
Summary   1:20:25.3   10.47   7.8
1   9:32.3   1.00   6.3
2   7:31.5   1.00   8.0
3   7:22.5   1.00   8.1
4   6:30.2   1.00   9.2
5   6:45.0   1.00   8.9
6   7:05.7   1.00   8.5
7   7:47.2   1.00   7.7
8   7:48.5   1.00   7.7
9   7:29.0   1.00   8.0
10   8:07.5   1.00   7.4
11   4:25.7   0.47   6.4

Photo by Stephen Ross

Those are great numbers Cove.  Makes me feel good about my run. Mile 4&5 were epic for you.  Pretty damn exciting seeing you glide down at the southern 'big fatty' section.

PBill liked my Chinese fire drill at the stop light.

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
The Smokin' but Sometimes Fickle South Side Report
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2014, 08:26:50 PM »
HOLY SH_T!  Cove, those are crazy averages.  9.2 mile 4!  Damn, I am so unbelievably jealous.  I sat at the Kea Lani all day trying not to look at the water.  Every time I accidentally glanced at the water it looked like smoke on the surface.  Damn, you guys got it so good!  I am out tomorrow too.  Really putting some time in with my pregnant wife.  Of course I could not have timed this worse!   

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2014, 08:42:05 PM »
The craziest part of the run was that it was so not about paddling hard. All that speed was from continuous surfing. It was ridiculous! I was bummed you weren't there.  But, it does seem conditions get exceptional when you schedule these relationship improvement sessions. Keep up the good work! ;D ;D ;D

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2014, 08:49:06 PM »
The southside was just straight up crazy today.  Check out this sunset!  Just took this with my iPhone.... #nofilter

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2014, 08:59:47 PM »
What a difference from last week.  Thanks to SB, Cove, PB and HM for the pointers from last week.  Made a huge difference in me connecting glides today.  I did pull in at Sorrentos, but wanted to keep going.  My wife thought it best I take a break.   I suspect the waves from Sorrentos to Makena were solid all the way through. It was a great day for me to learn more about working the water.  There is a lot to know and feel, and its obvious you guys have it down.  Last week, on the ugly offshore day, it took me 1:45 from the boardwalk to Sorrentos, today was 1:05. Big difference when you are actually surfing and not paddling it.   

I still took quite a few falls, but they were for very different reasons today.  I never let the rail catch air and flip, which happened a lot last week, and most falls today were just not trimming the board properly.  I had some pretty deep nose dives.  They got better as it went along and I anticipated where the wave was going.  The nice thing about the F16 is how it will still go straight as it is punching through the water.  Connecting long glides is where its at. So much easier than paddling.

What a great day on the water.  I saw the lines you guys were taking, but just to be on the safe side I took a more inside line and still favored the left when I was gliding.  It will be awhile before I get as comfortable as you all, out there.  But it was nice to be able to see PB and Cove the entire time in front, but I will tell you, Cove just took off when we hit the good wind/waves.  And it looked like he may have caught up with PB and the other paddler PB was with.  Kathy and Larry passed me on their skiis right before Sorrentos and they were moving too.  I did see another SUP following after them, but could not recognize who it was. 

Praying for another one of those days before 12/8.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2014, 09:11:51 PM »
Tomorrow is going to be a mirror image of today. Not quite as much wind up the outside, but smoke on the water all the same. It would be a good day for you to go all the way to Makena. After Sorrentos it really gets nuts.

Today at noon:

Tomorrow at 11:00

It will be a good day not to get TOO far out though
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 10:04:48 PM by PonoBill »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal