Author Topic: The Smokin' but Sometimes Fickle South Side Report  (Read 98496 times)

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Smokin' but Sometimes Fickle South Side Report
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2014, 11:40:34 PM »
The southside run today was not what it was yesterday, but it was nice to be on the water.  I just arrived in Maui for a three week visit and met PB, HM, Shep, and Greg.  Took awhile for the wind to fill in, and then it was mostly offshore almost the entire route, from the boardwalk to Sorrento's.  Tough day for me. All my DW experience was in fairly straight downwind conditions (Maliko and Santa Cruz).  I had a tough time with side wind, and the Fatigue set in around the 4 mile mark. I didn't realize I was that out of paddle shape, but coaching water polo for the past 3.5 months took a lot of time away from paddling.  And I probably shouldn't have srifed for 3 hours this AM.  These guys are fast and know what they are doing.   Thanks to Greg for keeping track of me on the first part of the run and PB for the latter. It was great meeting you guys and I will be ready for the next run, after a week or so of paddling.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2014, 09:56:56 AM »
The southside run today was not what it was yesterday, but it was nice to be on the water.  I just arrived in Maui for a three week visit and met PB, HM, Shep, and Greg.  Took awhile for the wind to fill in, and then it was mostly offshore almost the entire route, from the boardwalk to Sorrento's.  Tough day for me. All my DW experience was in fairly straight downwind conditions (Maliko and Santa Cruz).  I had a tough time with side wind, and the Fatigue set in around the 4 mile mark. I didn't realize I was that out of paddle shape, but coaching water polo for the past 3.5 months took a lot of time away from paddling.  And I probably shouldn't have srifed for 3 hours this AM.  These guys are fast and know what they are doing.   Thanks to Greg for keeping track of me on the first part of the run and PB for the latter. It was great meeting you guys and I will be ready for the next run, after a week or so of paddling.

You did well Kurt.  That was not easy yesterday and just making it back was a success.  Cutting across on a hard angle is difficult.  Gliding left is obviously the answer but sticking your rail up against the wind to do so is perilous and oversteering (going left) is a constant threat.  It's like walking on the edge of a razor blade.. 

My approach is to give a little right rudder once I'm pointed left... with back blade pressure on left side.  Many times that works and yesterday I was able to link with slight fades right.  Foot mostly on the peddle but I've found that many times when I glance down on offshore days like that I've got my rudder bent too much left.  This overdoing is obviously counterproductive drag for entering glides  so once I get pointed left, I step back off it to insure a straight rudder.  Southbay is our resident goofy footer and that is his forte.  Rudder sensitivity is the key.

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2014, 10:26:02 AM »
It was really nice meeting you Disco.  I hope you enjoy your stay these next couple weeks.  This is a great time of year to enjoy Maui! 

Wow, was it offshore yesterday!  Luckily the bumps were there, and being goofy foot it is a lot easier for me to put that rail in the water.  That is the key for me on a really offshore Kihei day.  Getting as much of that rail in the water, and the rest of the board out of the water, will help you track quickly along the face of the bump.  Also I like to keep my paddle on the upwind side (wave side), so I can used the paddle to steer and bank right to stay in the glide if need be.  Also, Kihei usually has swell that stacks up and runs towards shore, that if you have speed, you can catch and run perpendicular to the wind waves.  It sorta starts to draw off the reef and build into a nice bump with good speed, and best of all, it runs the right direction (towards shore)!  Not that I have mastered any of this yet.  In fact I just put most of this together recently, but it has really helped. Of course it helps to be front side when making minute corrections.....   

Wind is looking strong today!  What's the call?  Been at work since 5:30, so I'll be ready for a break soon!

Southbay

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2014, 10:57:14 AM »
Supdiscobay, great to meet you yesterday and hoping you'll get lots of water time while you're here. Sounds like you're off to a great start!

The conditions yesterday on the southside run were pretty heinous. If it had been like that the first time I'd done it, I'd really be wondering what all the fuss was about with the claims of how great the Kihei run is.  Being in a boat, I was particularly susceptible to that offshore direction with the wind hammering off my left side. I actually flipped at the very beginning of the run, even though it was nearly flat - the combination of strong wind, steep short waves and a second of inattention was enough to give me a cool off in the ocean. After that, I didn't go over again but it took a lot of concentration to avoid another huli.

As we moved down the coast, the wind did seem to back off quite a bit and the direction became less offshore. As that happened, you could run straight instead of constantly trying to work left and I even tried to be brave and took an occasional run to the right. I would have been a lot happier on a board, but I was under a mandate to get the canoe out of the house and it's good practice in those challenging conditions. I chased SB the entire run, he is getting way too fast! It's ok SB, I'm getting used to the daily beatings after weeks of it.

Hoping for better conditions today. Still not sure which side is going to be better. I'm hoping to take a board today.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2014, 07:35:43 PM »
Started off slow but finish gangbusters... all the way to Makena Landing.  Big crew, everyone was stoked.  Southbay stepping up big time.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2014, 08:26:46 PM »
Pretty decent run today. Nice sized group including SB, HM, PB, LPB and Kathy. I'd say the Zone was well represented. Went pretty early and did the full Monty, all the way from the Ponds/Boardwalk to Makena. Wind was decent but not screaming but there were very rideable bumps the entire run.

SB and Kathy started out inside but in short order had worked themselves onto a pretty outside line. Even paddling through the bumps really carefully and maximizing all your glides, it is difficult to stay near those two. SB has clearly found a new gear altogether and is really getting fast, doesn't matter if he's on the north side, south side or in his boat!

I initially followed Kathy and SB but then began working left, even before Sorrentos, which is just over half way. Once I got more inside, I relaxed and ran straight down. It was fun catching the lefts but the rights were longer and more forbidden, since they took you out in a hurry. But it was good both directions and there were many opportunities to link up bumps. Great practice. I had two stupid falls but felt like I still had a great run. Sounds like we may get another bite at the apple tomorrow with northerly winds in the forecast. 8)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 08:30:10 PM by covesurfer »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2014, 09:03:13 PM »
My abs are aching after all this recent activity, I was whining about it when Diane asked if I was going again tomorrow. "Of course." Strange question
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2014, 08:33:00 AM »

SB and Kathy started out inside but in short order had worked themselves onto a pretty outside line. Even paddling through the bumps really carefully and maximizing all your glides, it is difficult to stay near those two. SB has clearly found a new gear altogether and is really getting fast, doesn't matter if he's on the north side, south side or in his boat!

It was fun watching those two duel.  It's nice being in ski - to watch that level of talent.     

I had the cam on yesterday, but pushed the buttons incorrectly and lost all the footage.  We are in for an excellent stretch of south shore wind.  If the tile guys show up at my job site again, I'll work a few hours and sneak out.  I'll be there with the cam on the front going sideways.  I don't like shooting to get standups on the same swell, but the footage is great.  It's brutal to pull over bumps to match their crazy lines.  I sneaked up to SB yesterday to say hi but our lines merged and I had to ditch.  As I was re mounting Kathy passed and told me to "Go take him off at the knees".   Ha!   
Support your local shaper

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2014, 09:14:18 PM »
Great run today. what a great bunch of people to go with. the only problem is that you folks are all getting way too fricking fast. I was flat out all the way with a ten minute lead and wound up last. By my measure I was flying--getting every bump and hooking up long rides. Never stopped hitting it, only fell twice, and I got my doors blown off. I didn't run my GPS but I'm pretty sure that would have been a record run for me. Sheesh.

And WTF is with Shep? Did he stick a hemi in that thing?
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2014, 09:24:36 PM »
^Some wise people are saying he got faster once he got a boat.  I'm not going to say I told you so, but...   Ralph had to step on the gas to beat SB today.  SB may catch Ralf, but it won't be easy. 

Very fun day.  I was too tired to shoot sideways.

Support your local shaper

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2014, 09:34:54 PM »
Yaaah PB, I know what you mean. Always someone's faster. And these guys are flying.

I felt like I surfed for 10 miles with only brief periods where I wasn't either on a glide and/or connecting multiple glides for long periods of time. But I could not keep up with SB and Ralf. Not even close. I'm guessing they were 1/2 mile ahead of me, maybe 3/4 mile, at the finish. I ended the run feeling good nevertheless. My splits are below, I had some good miles in there but I had a couple of slow ones too, at the beginning and the very tail end. Two stupid falls, otherwise it felt about as flawless as it gets for me. But, I know I still make a lot of mistakes, and each one costs a second here, 5 seconds there. By the end of 10 miles, those little errors have added up.

We are going to shoot for an early morning start time tomorrow. SB and I will take our boats. If I'm not back and ready to head to the dinner of thanks given by noon, I will wish I'd never been born. There is a wifely consensus that we have a downwinding issue.

Laps11
View Splits
Split
Time
Distance
Avg Speed
Summary   1:28:28.4   10.43   7.1
1   11:22.0   1.00   5.3
2   8:37.0   1.00   7.0
3   7:51.0   1.00   7.6
4   7:48.1   1.00   7.7
5   8:08.0   1.00   7.4
6   8:09.5   1.00   7.4
7   7:59.8   1.00   7.5
8   7:39.0   1.00   7.8
9   8:06.1   1.00   7.4
10   8:14.5   1.00   7.3
11   4:33.5   0.43   5.6
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 09:39:04 PM by covesurfer »

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
The Smokin' but Sometimes Fickle South Side Report
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2014, 10:35:14 PM »
Thanks guys.  I worked super hard to keep up with Ralf today.  He is usually dry and his board is loaded by the time I get in.  I still think that would be true at Maliko.  I have to say, I think the boat really has helped me with reading the water.  The boat is faster, so you get to sorta slow down and see what it going on with the water.  Not sure how that really works, but something is clicking, on the Southside anyway. 

Here are my splits from today.

Mile - Time - Avg mph
1 10:40 5.6
2 8:14 7.3
3 7:27 8.1
4 7:06 8.4
5 6:59 8.6
6 7:27 8.1
7 7:36 7.9
8 7:05 8.5
9 7:23 8.1
10 9:08 6.6
11 1:56 5.4

Summary1:21:03 7.5

Not to get all sappy, but I am Thankful this year for a great group of friends that are always there to enable my addiction :)  Thanks guys.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 10:40:46 PM by Southbay »

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
The Smokin' but Sometimes Fickle South Side Report
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2014, 10:43:31 PM »
Oh, and yeah...Today rocked!  Swells were so lined up.  I was surfing from the tail about half the time.  The only fall I had today, was because I had my front foot on the rudder wheel, and stepped my back foot off the back of the board!  That is as far back as you can get!  haha.  Looking forward to an early boat run.  Talk soon!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2014, 11:34:37 PM »
You dogs, I gotta cook in the morning.

Take a cut out of the middle of SB's splits and it's seven miles at 8.3 mph average. That's moving right along.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 11:43:22 PM by PonoBill »

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2014, 12:38:44 AM »
You dogs, I gotta cook in the morning.

Take a cut out of the middle of SB's splits and it's seven miles at 8.3 mph average. That's moving right along.

Yeah, he was smokin'!

I actually did consider SB a friend until I saw those split times. Now I realize that, for SB, going fast is even more important than friendship. ;D ;D ;D

Damn, it's like PB said, I had a run where I honestly didn't think I could have possibly gone much faster. Obviously, it was possible.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal