Author Topic: The Smokin' but Sometimes Fickle South Side Report  (Read 98705 times)

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
The Smokin' but Sometimes Fickle South Side Report
« on: November 08, 2014, 10:39:10 PM »
We had a lot of rain last night and today broke with low visibility, rain and relatively cool temps. But north to northeast wind was also forecast to follow the rain, which supposedly would clear out by afternoon.

It's funny, but today actually looked pretty hopeless, but there were 9 of us that rallied to do a southside downwinder. But, at one o'clock, we all showed, smiling and eager. And, the forecast actually was pretty accurate. By game time, there was decent northeasterly wind. The direction was a little out to sea but it was still looking very do-able. Pretty damn cool.

A friend from Hood River is here for one more day and I loaned him my F-16 so that he could go with us. I took my boat, which turned out to be a good choice. Because the direction was as off-shore as it was, we launched from Kihei Canoe Club but we were heading for the full monty, all the way to Makena Landing.

Conditions started out as they typically do on the south side, pretty off-shore with small wavelets. Within a mile or two, we were in decent bumps that improved as the run continued. The wind wasn't screaming, but it was decent, with some good strong gusts from time to time. I tried looking ahead a few waves and was able to push the boat through and catch multiples a bunch of times. I also worked on slowing it down once I caught a bump, angling the boat right and then left and back again. I got some of my longest, multi wave glides that I've yet had in an OC.

It wasn't a super fast run according to my Garmin, but it was a lot of fun. There were some fast folk on our crew and while I kept them in sight, they smoked me, even though they were on standups and I was in a boat, which should be a lot faster. One of those guys was Southbay who is really paddling well and reading the water better and better these days.

When we finished, the big question everybody seemed to be asking was, are we going tomorrow? That's a pretty good indication that it was a lot of fun.

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
The Smokin' but Sometimes Fickle South Side Report
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 12:42:48 AM »
Nice pics Cove!  Thanks for the nice words.  I had a good run today, but it was also my kind of run.  Good surf the whole way, and all lefts!  Plus I have been cooped up for a week!  Everyone did really well today!  Kathy is smoking it in the Ski, and HM was all smiles when he got in.  LP of course flew past me like I was standing still with a 1/2 mile to go.....Pono looks like he can barely walk, but he is right there.  Quite a crew!  So stoked to have pushed my way in!

I would love to go again tomorrow, but it is looking pretty light...potential boat run.  I may grab a SUP and check Kanaha in the morning, or Hookipa on the shortboard.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 12:46:16 AM by Southbay »

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Smokin' but Sometimes Fickle South Side Report
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 06:53:42 AM »
 Here's the crucial pic Cove left out and the huge lesson.  Everything should be tethered, absolutely everything.

Every kick of your leg underwater, the extended reach you made to grab the package, all those moments that awakened your vulnerability to the primordial laws of nature. You should only have to do two things, flip the boat back over and get in.   I can only imagine the effort to gain those precious inches to grab that package while tied to the boat.  Like dragging a cement block.

I finally learned to tether my hat and sunglasses.  Swimming for separate things just sucks.  Used to just go for the glasses and leave the hat.  Always thought it's like there's a time limit for stepping out of your car when you're in the bad part of town.  Tick freaking tock.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 07:11:40 AM »
Wow, Mr. Sunshine.

Tough run for me, though I was rocking those tights. Everyone is going to be wearing those next year. I'm a walking fashion statement. Took me forever to get them on over my taped up ankle so I was unforgivably late to the party. I'm surprised Devin didn't whack me. Felt great to be on the water, and I thought I had pretty good speed at first, but it got sticky as we went on. The section from Kalama Park to Sorrentos was nasty--couldn't buy a glide, or at least couldn't hook them up.

The screwed up ankle (tendonitis) didn't really bother me too much, I just couldn't yank on my steering the way I normally would. My board wanted to constantly go right, which wasn't a good thing in the offshore conditions, so I finally had to hop off and fix the rudder. (Tick freaking tock--ha, ha). Took two tries to get it right. By that time I was way out, so I had to steer a lot and try to ride everything towards shore, which always makes for shorter glides. And then I must have liked being in the water because I feel twice for no apparent reason. Had to swim for my hat both times. (tick...).

The pathetic hobbling in the parking lot was the two Va'na  spines in my heel, not the tendonitis. I surfed at Thousand Peaks all morning, put my foot down ONCE and bam.

Nice to be back, nice to be in the water. I've got more tape, what's the wind supposed to be like? I don't have to pick up my guests until 5:30, we can squeeze a run in. I can be wet when I go to get them.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 10:32:54 AM »
Nearly losing my wallet and car key was due to me forgetting to zip my water pack closed. That's something that I nearly always double or triple check before I get into the water. Well, yesterday I didn't.

I was responsible for making sure a 17 year old kid made it back in one piece in off-shore wind. On his first Kihei run ever, on my F16, which he'd never ridden before and that was set up for regular foot when he's a goofy. I coached him and paddled with him since he was 15 so I knew how good he was - he's become a better paddler than I'll ever be and I knew I didn't have to worry about him much. But, my focus was divided. I'd also just told his mom that I'd make sure he was ok and I know I was taking that seriously. I'm glad it was me flailing around in the water and not him.

It was a good lesson. With the wind and waves, my boat got into a very awkward position with all the reaching and struggling to grab my wallet before it floated away. By the time I'd retrieved it, which was probably less than 30 seconds, my boat was at the end of the leash pulling hard. It was difficult to get back up close and remount. I don't want to be in that position again so my pre-paddle checklist has just become a bit more important and urgent. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 12:17:33 PM »
Yeah, sure, blame the kid. Though now that I think about it, I'm always blaming you, so I guess it's OK.

Carry on.

BTW, he told me he'd done Malikos but not southside. I know that WE know south side is actually more dangerous even though it looks totally harmless, but it's good to be reminded of that sometimes. I was thinking yesterday during the run that I was glad we didn't do a Sorrentos run because there was no way I could make it in after wandering so far out with my screwed up rudder. So THAT was a little stupid. If I hadn't got the rudder to work I might have had a tough time hitting Makena. Much too proud to Pocahontas my way in.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 04:35:45 PM »
Here's the crucial pic Cove left out and the huge lesson.  Everything should be tethered, absolutely everything.

I finally learned to tether my hat and sunglasses.  Swimming for separate things just sucks.  Used to just go for the glasses and leave the hat.  Always thought it's like there's a time limit for stepping out of your car when you're in the bad part of town.  Tick freaking tock.

I learnt about tethering the hard way in Bali surfing. I usually take some money in a waterproof bag, but when I got back to the shore my daughter wanted to go swimming, so after putting my SUP away and knowing my wife was going to call me, and we were going to have lunch on the beach later, I stuffed my iPhone, credit cards, ID card and cash into the waterproof pouch and went swimming with her.. normally I tether the pouch to my shorts drawstring, but since it was calm water inside the reef I didn't.. So 30 mins later we got out, and I realized the whole pouch had gone. Now my immediate reaction was to go get a snorkel and flippers and with a couple of the guys from the Rip Curl Centre we went up and down the beach... Nothing... I then got on my SUP and paddled up and down. Nothing. I then realized, the damn thing floats, and so it had floated off.. When my wife turned up we did the find my iPhone thing and nothing, so whoever had found this floating pack of gold, had figured out how to switch off the phone.. So two hours in the Police station and 1/2 day wasted + $$ lost all for not tethering... Lesson learned..
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 04:37:16 PM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 12:00:27 AM »
No-one really pays attention to good advice. Everyone seems to need to learn the hard way.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 07:09:21 PM »
Today was incredible on southside.  We haven't had a run like this in quite some time and everyone was all smiles at the finish.  Only to Mana Kai (Sorrentoes) but good all the way.  Six of us today.

Weather cleared and mountain was almost cloud free.  Increasing winds.  Jacking swell on north side but with the wind, A DW run was the call.  Maybe tomorrow will be a morning surf and afternoon run.

Winter is definitely here.  Three blankets last night (I like my window open above my bed).  Sleeping longer (until 5:30) with longer nights.  Love it.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 07:16:25 PM »
Tomorrow could be a Maui Biathalon for sure. The north swell is pumping. Nice to on the south side today, the north shore was lit up way out to the horizon and the wind was just so-so. But with the thermal yank pulling the wind along the south shore it was superfine.

Scott Trudon has Mark's new prototype tomorrow, but I'll get it next day--Scott is headed out of town or he'd probably Bogart it--unless it doesn't work (doubtful, it looks super good).

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 07:47:02 PM »
Scott is getting hitched up.  Ashley has a ring.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 11:12:00 PM »
About time. The lady is a keeper.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2014, 11:31:06 PM »
Here's two pics from Jeremy Riggs, who when he opens it up full throttle is paddling with Dave.  But today he tagged along with us and took some pics.  Here's all six of us (five in the pic) on what was just a beautiful day.  Cove, Southbay and Pono Bill trimmed out very clean on the yellow board in first pic.  In the distance towards shore are Kathy and me.  Really enjoy being on the water with a pack like this.
Unlike surfing, others are a plus. 

Cove and Southbay really go at it head to head and JR caught the action.

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2014, 09:34:41 AM »
Best day in a long time, and some really great pictures. I fell twice early, and lost my sunglasses on the second fall.  I know....I should have had them strapped on, but I have used them for 6 mos with no strap; it was a matter of time.  Anyway, by the time I looked up Cove and Kathy were about 1/4 mile ahead of me, and HM blasted past me as I was trying to find my sh-t.  HM was really flying.  Solid surfing, a maintenance stroke or two and banking left and right.  Really cool to watch.  He hit a big bump and suffered a high speed fall, and I set my sights on Kathy and Team Advil. I worked my ass off and finally caught up to them at the end of the run, but it took a lot of effort. 

As stated in earlier posts Jeremy hung out and took pictures for a while and then promptly dusted everyone the second he put his camera down.  It is so cool to see someone at that level doing their thing.  I really need to get another lesson with the glide master soon.  Hopefully we all go again today.  It's looking like it will be a good day for Kihei, but you never know. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2014, 11:24:08 AM »
What pisses me off is that Jeremy going fast looks the same as Jeremy going slow, except he gets small quickly. He paddles about one third as hard as I do. Of course the story might be different if he was carrying a backstreet boy on his back, or the proper hundred pounds of handicap rice.  Then again, it probably wouldn't be. Having Jeremy pass you while he's standing backwards on his board shooting pictures is one of the most humbling things I can imagine.

I too need some lessons from the master. I was surprised to see that he was giving surfing lessons a few days ago. Didn't know he did that. Maybe I can learn to walk all over my board like it was sitting on the sand and do 360s while talking to other people.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard