Author Topic: SIC Recon - Anyone surf?  (Read 17928 times)

lunchbox

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
SIC Recon - Anyone surf?
« on: November 07, 2014, 10:35:47 PM »
Checked out the SIC web site today after hearing a friend of a friend boast about how good his Recon surfed. I think he has the 9'9" recon. From what I hear, this guys lives to SUP and goes through boards like no ones business, so to hear him mention that it's the best SUP he's ever surfed, has definitely sparked my interest.

Although I couldn't find it on the SIC site, it looks like they have a 9'4" as well. I'm not sure why it's not listed...was it replaced by the 9'9" or maybe the 9'4" is last years model?
The 9'9" looks geared more toward smaller to larger sized waves with it's fuller nose and square tail while the 9'4" with it's narrower nose and pintail might be geared more towards larger waves.

Would anyone with knowledge of the recon line care to shed some light on these two sizes, how they surf and what type of wave and wave size would be best served by each of them?

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: SIC Recon - Anyone surf?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 01:58:24 AM »
I've been struggling with wanting to get another board from BC, difficult from here. Then recently a zoner posted up a pic of a SIC recon in action and I realized I gotta find the dealer here. Same Hawaiian roots. You can trust the board will work.
The outlines are very surfable and the construction looks solid.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 02:06:57 AM »
Yes, the 9-9 looks like it would fit better on a larger wave. A 9-4 was a nice size for this shape. A 8-8 as well would be nice.

The thing I like about my PSH boards is that considered alone, the last bit from in front of the fins to the tail, resembles a short board. Pulled in and thinned, very rippable.

These SIC boards seem to have the same shape.

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 07:21:02 AM »
Looks to me that the 9'4" is a 2013 Model..no more available.

The 9'9" was available in 2013 and 2014

I am Picking up a couple Bullets Next Week and can grab the Recon for you.

It is a Demo Board so depending on condition Cheap this week....
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 03:04:35 PM »
Well Trader Cbig just sold my Rawson 9'4" as 150 liters no longer was what I needed.

Step two was to trade my 8'8" Angulo Surfa as 32" has become a little wide these days.

BOOM! I am now the proud owner of a 2013 SIC Recon 9. It is 9'4" x  29" x  3 3/4" x 123 liters. It is the lighter semi-carbon construction; am planning on running it as a quad.

Can't wait to get this bad boy out in some waves and will update when I have ridden it!

Shout out to Tim at Ocean House in Swampscott for doing the trade. And he does have more Imagine Snaps available. Also saw a Starboard that Ake G. had traded towards a JP!! 8) 8)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 03:10:58 PM by mrbig »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 03:26:45 PM »
Nice board!  I have a lightly used one for sale in Portland, ME. if anyone is looking.  They are not easy to find.

Raf
owner of Soposup
www.soposup.com

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 04:48:59 PM »

I really like the look of 2015 Bully SIC shape.  I understand the board is an older model. 

Anybody care to right a review on the "Bully" to be used by a heavyweight?

lunchbox

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 05:06:43 PM »
Congratulations Mr Big...can't wait to hear your review. I was seriously looking at that board for my waist to head high conditions. That tail has me a little curious. It appears it is meant for chest high to bigger waves and I'd imagine that tail would really stick nice on the face. At the same time, I'm thinking it's got to turn on a dime as well? Be interesting to get your take on it after you've ridden it. In addition, I would be curious to hear how it compares to the 9'4" Rawson as that board was also on my list. 

I'm trying to save up for that 9'5" fish at the moment.

Ake G

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 11:48:41 AM »
Well Trader Cbig just sold my Rawson 9'4" as 150 liters no longer was what I needed.

Step two was to trade my 8'8" Angulo Surfa as 32" has become a little wide these days.

BOOM! I am now the proud owner of a 2013 SIC Recon 9. It is 9'4" x  29" x  3 3/4" x 123 liters. It is the lighter semi-carbon construction; am planning on running it as a quad.

Can't wait to get this bad boy out in some waves and will update when I have ridden it!

Shout out to Tim at Ocean House in Swampscott for doing the trade. And he does have more Imagine Snaps available. Also saw a Starboard that Ake G. had traded towards a JP!! 8) 8)

I think Mr.Big may need an intervention.... ;) but who am I to talk....

Congrats on the new ride. Those sic recon boards with the semi-custom carbon and exposed plywood bottom are such nice builds! (That's the build, right?)

I have experience with the 10'6" recon. Had it out once on a chest high day and surfed the hell out of it....so very fast in all aspects in good surf but not as good in smaller, mushy surf as was expected. However, I was way too light for the board to sink the rail effectively, clearly designed or much bigger guys than me.

Looking forward to your review I'll bet you'll like it!

Tim's a great guy (excellent customer service) and has some very nice boards in his shop in Swampscott. Worth the trip!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 11:50:13 AM by Ake G »

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 12:54:02 PM »
Looks to me that the 9'4" is a 2013 Model..no more available.

The 9'9" was available in 2013 and 2014

I am Picking up a couple Bullets Next Week and can grab the Recon for you.

It is a Demo Board so depending on condition Cheap this week....
9'9" SIC Recon

I usually ride much shorter boards but I had a chance to demo one for 5 days...
Anything from knee slappers to overhead on this demo..
Man this thing just kills it.
I was able to paddle to the next peak (way over) to catch set waves..
Amazing the distance you can cover quickly with this board.
Nice refined rails for a production board..holds and accelerates.
Throws around pretty good too..
Able to stroke in from pretty far outside..
Had offshore wind on most days, some more than others..
Board has lift in these conditions..makes it more lively.
The nose whistles in the head wind when I the nose hits certain angles..weird..
At first I thought it was the fins, but it wasn't..
With no wind, no whistle..

This size board with the thin tail pulled through waves nicely with the SLH (Safety Leash Handle)

Might be my next big wave board...

Anyone want the 9'8" Starboard Superfish?

Ralph
Sup-position

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2014, 05:30:37 PM »
Well the surf gods decided to deliver a nice waist to chest headhigh set off shore glassy testing venue in NH. YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!

The SIC is sick. paddles fast going out and catching waves. Bonus - it so thin and low volume I paddled (have to prone it going out) through the shorebreak really easily. Almost, but not really, duck diveable.

Catching waves was interesting at first, a pintail that is really thin, doesn't respond well to late drops the way my diamond, and squash tails do. Had to surf more off my front foot to engage the flat spot which is NOT anywhere near the tail.

What a great feeling of control and carve ability is there. So loose, but stable. I saw a picture of Jeremy Riggs dropping in on a BEG WAN. Amazing.

As a winter big (not GIANT) wave board it is exactly what I wanted. Perfect in every way. I need to remember my black suit pintail pony tail days and I will figure out to get it to go a little faster in gutless waves.

BUT that is what my King's 7'11" is for!

It came as a quad and I did put larger fins in!

I love this board! It does CHIP though.. 8)
Let it come to you..
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2014, 09:29:01 PM »
I agree with Ake G, intervention needed.

Cleveland,
Felt the same way after surfing Little Maks today on the JL Stun Gun (9'2").  Had a thruster set in it today, but going to put quad in for DOH tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes. Congrats on the new board and it looks like your quiver list is going through some major changes.
Mahalo my friend.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2014, 11:13:06 AM »
The Exuberant Mr. Big called yesterday to discuss fin options..

Dude is Super Stoked...

Isn't that cool how somethings get you super excited !
Ralph
Sup-position

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2014, 12:56:04 PM »
Yes I did! Check these bad boys out!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2014, 04:44:20 AM »
Well I have had the Recon out a couple of times now and it is a great board. I did replace the stock fins with FCS HI and that helped with my initial issues in smaller waves.

After harassing many folks decided to focus on my feet placement. Clearly in small waves you stay forward of the fins and push on the front foot where the volume is.

On larger waves you need to be back a little as it can pearl (don't ask don't tell) on take-off as it does not have a lot of nose rocker.

Two sessions in NH, and one in RI have proven it is a great winter board. Still modifying my stomp on the tail and go technique which works on ALL of my other boards; particularly my King's and my Rawson customs.

It is so smooth, stable, and the bigger it gets the better it gets. Brochure says it is designed for 4 to 8 feet. On Maui! Hah! Solid 4 so far in NH. Old man haole 10 on the drop, we do not surf the back of the wave!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal