Author Topic: Reviewing my Starboard Sprint 17'6" x 23"  (Read 15170 times)

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
Reviewing my Starboard Sprint 17'6" x 23"
« on: October 31, 2014, 12:37:34 AM »
It's been a little over 2 months with my new board, and I wanted to give others an idea of what I thought of it.
Before getting started, please remember that a review is very subjective, and as such depends on other criteria.
I am 46 years old, 130#, 5'6", very active in sports, but NOT SPONSORED by Starboard. I started on SUP only about 5 months ago.
My background: narrow surfskis that tend themselves to gliding well and catching ocean swells. To make matters worst, I am french. :)

Starboard Sprint 17'6" x 23" - REVIEW
From day one, I just loved this board. It seems that I spent the next couple of months trying to find its limits. Here's what I come up with (the good and the bad).

POSITIVE
The board glides better than anything I have tried so far. It's very similar in feeling with a surfski.
Stability in totally flat water is very good.
The catch is super SUPER narrow - and this also cannot be dismissed. It translates into more power, and more speed.
It doesn't leave any wake - nothing at all compared to most boards.
It's almost as quiet as a surfski - not a sound.
It tracks well, yet maneuvers well (unless the wind is present).
Scupper design are PERFECT - I wouldn't even attempt to change them in any way.
It's lighter than any other SB SUP - interesting considering it's the longest board.
I can average 1km/h faster on this board - with the board I can keep up with friends, without I can't. It is that simple.
Average speed: 8.6km/h based on 22km AND 8.0km/h based on 35km.
Stability is very very good as soon as the board hits 8km/h and only get better (feels like it's on rails then).
Downwind is very fun and manageable (though only on 1-2 feet based on my ability).
Excellent touring board idea - if you remain on the flats.
Most boards are designed for average people - this one tends to be geared a little more towards lighter paddler (which is a welcome thing for me).
I have had a friend who's 190# on my board. He did okay, but I can tell the board was better suited for the 160# paddler.
The board will keep its speed.
The sponge protection on the deck prevents water from entering the cockpit - it works really well. It's also useful to protect your board.

NEGATIVE
3/4 wind in your face isn't pleasant on such a long board - this is about the only time I wish there was a rudder system on it (even as an option).
It doesn't want to plain as well as other boards.
Doesn't accelerate as fast as shorter boards - especially DW.
Side chop is horrible (okay, with me on it) - gotta paddle really fast when this happens.

I was really "diging" to find negatives; to any one who hasn't tried it: give it a go, even if it's just for the experience.
Don't kid yourself though: this board may have been designed primarily for flat water, but the reality is that it handles the ocean very well. Not for the faint of heart, quite tippy for beginners, but pure fun, glide and speed for better paddlers. 

I'd love to hear from others who have tried this board.

Other boards that I have owned - in only the last 4 months of paddling SUP:
Jimmy Lewis Sabre (14' x 27) - gone (too much volume)
Jimmy Lewis Stiletto (14' x 28) - gone (too much volume)
Starboard 12'6 x 26 (inflatable) - that I still own.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 12:40:35 AM by photofr »
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Reviewing my Starboard Sprint 17'6" x 23"
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 06:10:27 AM »
Great review and pics.. and I agree..

I paddled one recently and I strugled because I found it too tippy for me.. even in very calm water.. I'm 95kg [210lbs]

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 07:02:12 AM »
I played around with a few fins. Without boring to death, let me just say that placing a HUGE fin in the back will improve stability by many folds. The downside of that is that you loose a little bit of speed. The upside is that one board can really be even more versatile.

On a different subject, I watch a friend of mine (nearly 200#) struggle with stability a bit; not too terribly, but I could see that he wasn't apply HIS power, and couldn't with the lack of stability. It's all relative, because he didn't swim, but clearly wasn't showing signs of "great comfort" either. After placing  huge fin and testing again on flat water, the same person thought I gave him a different board to try.

I am now using a smaller fin (Slater) - I find that lighter, more manageable, and more fun - even on a windy day.
Place a rudder on that board and make it even more versatile - just a thought to self.
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 08:39:33 AM »
Am also a lightweight since losing my beer belly - but somewhat older and quite active as well.  Have not tried your board but it looks like it would glide forever.  The 25 sprint carbon was the narrowest board I used and found it quite stable on flats and quick to accelerate.  Even in chop up and down was ok as long as you had speed.  Stop in side chop though and it became uncomfortable without bracing.

Would like to have longer fast boards like that and a F-16 for big DW but have only so much storage space.  The Slater shape is a nice fast fin and this is what we use on the Dominator near full-time now as there is minimal drag and so easy to catch any bump on the water.

Soon we will be getting predictable strong arctic outflow winds - so looking forward to ice cold water fun.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 09:55:14 AM »
Here's a little something to put it in prospective:
I paddled a 12'6" x 24" Starboard Sprint today, for about 9km - in all sort of conditions.
The 12'6 is obviously wider, but the tail and nose is where this board really gets its balance. It is remarkably more stable that the 17'6" x 23.
Aside from the first surprise, I have to say that not much will compare with the Sprint 17'6" x 23 in terms of glide and speed.
I guess I didn't know that I had it "so good" with the UL.

What may totally surprise you is this:
I am buying the 12'6" x 24" - because it's slower !
On this tiny board, I found so much resistance that I figured it would be great training to get in shape.

The only thing the two boards have in common (aside from the brand name and model) is the standing area - and the color.
One glides, and comparatively speaking: the other would rather come to a stall.
It took nearly everything I had to keep up with my friend (for 30 seconds).

The above should illustrate the UL board a little bit better.
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 11:19:44 AM »
Can appreciate what you say about too much glide and speed.  The sprint will slow you down and tire you faster.  Found good fun is to go upwind in 15 kts for a couple of miles then sprint full power downwind planing the whole way.  By the end you should be exhausted.  HIIE - gotta love it!

Note - make sure you have a full hydration pack.  If you want more of a workout just add weight to your board - found that a mid-sized dog or little boy is about right.  But probably you can think of other weights that would be more suitable.

Actually completely understand - and no surprise at all .....

Fast is FUN!   8)

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 11:49:38 AM »
Interesting that you found the Sprint 12'6"x24" much more stable than the 17'6"x23". The low volume of the longer board must make it more tippy.

Have you tried the All Star 14x23?

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 12:24:24 PM »
The Pin tail of the 17'6" x 23 is far from adding stability, where the very large volume and square tail of the 12'6" x 24 feels anchored.
The nose of the UL is much narrower - 3 inches narrow by my estimation (at the catch). The little sprint has a much wider nose which may also add to stability.

I haven't tried any other starboard… yet - but I can tell you that the All Star will have more rocker (better surfing ability in swells, but would therefore seem a little slower in the flats).
Compromise, COMPROMISE……
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 12:38:54 PM »
Yes everything is a COMPROMISE - what to do?

Build a quiver that works for you in the conditions you paddle in.  It seems the sprint should be a good match for you as you have good balance.  We have nice cushy wide boards because we are getting really old - according to our kids .....
Fast is FUN!   8)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 06:42:47 PM »
Unlimited boards are just another world of paddling which there is no comparison.  We are talking non-downwind designs. They are tippy, suck in side wind, you can't stand still without bracing,  BUT they glide better than any 14' board. There is typically no wake, they are faster, and they are one dimensional.  Mine hangs on the rafters most of the time. If it's windy in the ocean I'll usually be on my 14'. I will use it anytime I can.  Mine is 18' x 25" needle to needle.  I'm 6'7.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

jumpfrom13k

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 08:02:40 PM »
how much do you weigh talldude?

do you normal surf as well?

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 09:26:40 PM »
how much do you weigh talldude?

do you normal surf as well?
I'm around 240 lbs right now.

And yes I surf. Normal surf? prone surf and Sup surf.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Kieranrsup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 12:33:17 AM »
A mate and local shop owner owns one which he very generously allows many of our crew to borrow.
I've used it quite a few times and it is a weapon on the flat stuff!! It's an amazing feeling to cruise past other paddlers at seemingly half pace.
I certainly wouldn't take it in the ocean but mild lake style DW would be possible.
It slices through upwind chop like a hot knife through butter.
For short distance sprints 100mtr, 200mtr I prefer the 14 x 24" sprint.
Easier to get up to top speed I reckon.
SIC custom hand shaped 17' x 25.5" V3 Bullet.
NSP DC 17'10" x 26" .
Starboard Ace 14 x 25".
Starboard Sprint 14 x 24".
JP 10' x 29"
Starboard Pro 8.0 x 29".
Starboard Pro 8' x 29".

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2014, 11:33:25 PM »
For those interested, I now have enough data to compare my Sprint 17'6" x 23" with my Sprint 12'6" x 24".
Before getting started, keep in mind that I don't weight very much (130 pounds), and that I am not very tall (5'6"), and that I do not have the sprinting ability of younger paddlers (I am 46 1/2). I am more of a middle-of-the-pack paddler, with a strong background in surfskis (not SUP).

I knew that the 17 footer would be faster, but I hadn't realized it would be that much faster.
On with the data:

RÉSULTATS
Average upwind speed, against current:
12 footer: 6.6 km/h
17 footer: 7.8 km/h (or 1.2 km/h faster)

Upwind Sprint, against current:
12 footer: 7.3 km/h
17 footer: 8.7 km/h (or 1.4 km/h faster)

Average Downwind,with a tail current:
12 footer: 8.6 km/h
17 footer: 9.7 km/h (or 1.1 km/h faster)

Max Speed:
12 footer: 9.3 km/h
17 footer: 10.2 km/h (or 0.9 km/h faster)

Bottom line: the UL 17'6" gave me an average speed of 12.8% faster than the 12'6".

Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2015, 10:18:43 PM »
It's been almost a year with the Sprint Unlimited 17'6 x 23" - and YES, it still a Love Story.
I have worked hard and have somewhat adapted to the board. I am also finding better ways to glide with it. In fact, I have slowed down my speed and worked super hard on technique over the past 10 or so months. With this, two things happened:
I have way more endurance (I paddle more than 30 km a day, at least once a week).
Overall speed is much faster.
Balance is getting better as I am far more relaxed - back to endurance.

Quick feedback: Open Water
This board is remarkable in open ocean. I originally purchased this board for training on flat water (think flat water K1). I never once thought I would be doing downwind paddling with it. However, after the 5th Open Ocean paddle, I can give you a couple of feedback for this board.

First and foremost…
This board isn't for everyone in Open Ocean.
The heavy weight paddlers will like it a lot more in lakes.
Side shop is undoubtedly the hardest conditions for this board / for me. The board just wants to roll.
Upwind couldn't be easier than on this board.
Downwind is way more stable than I could have ever imagined.

One of my favorite trips is to go to the island of Groix in France. It's located directly in front of my house, nearly 11km from my doorstep. It requires crossing a channel that is often rougher than I would like. Total distance is usually 31 to 38 km, depending on where I go once I get to the island.

THE FEEDBACK
I still have a hard time with the board with side swells and side wind. It could probably benefit from a rudder system, but it would be difficult to activate since the board isn't very stable in those conditions. Therefore, place a rudder, but add some width - but keep the same shape - would be my best guess.

Upwind couldn't be easier… I have not had a board that paddles so well upwind. Nothing more to say there… it's just stable.

Downwind… wow… this board keep amazing momentum. It's overall speed is very impressive. I could paddle it all day (and have). The board becomes super stable as it catches bumps; Read SUPER Stable.

The course might be a little different than what you are used to…
I usually paddle the 10+ km with a small side swell / side wind to reach the island.
Then paddle along the island coast and cliffs for about 8 km.
When I reach the point, I turn back and paddle 14 to 18 km downwind. This is where the fun really begins.

I gotta to tell you: if you have okay balance, and if you don't weight very much, you might want to try this board in open ocean. It's a "game changer" for sure.

Here's a picture after 8 km on the way out… with the side swell.

Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal