Author Topic: Working too hard  (Read 3349 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Working too hard
« on: October 30, 2014, 06:08:58 PM »
I feel the pressure of leaving Hood River, and my race car isn't ready for next year. Nice to have it good to go. I was trying to do something simple--rebuild the head, check the rod bearings, maybe change them, check the rings, probably change them, do a nut and bolt check, crack check the front suspension, call it good.

Never works.

So I yanked out the motor and transmission this morning, and I'm installing the spare motor with the old transmission. Of course you never have everything you need--or you got them and can't find them. I know I have spare pilot bushings for the engine, this transmission has finer spline on the input shaft than stock--because it's really straight cut, dog box guts in stocker case. So I need a weird pilot bushing. I have a half dozen somewhere. I probably won't find them until I order new ones.

The flywheel on the old engine had six ARP bolts and two dowels. The new crank takes eight ARP bolts, so I need two more. I've got them. Somewhere.

I've got most of the bits transferred to the new engine, but in the process I found all kinds of stuff that was getting ready to fail, or failed and I didn't know it but the car still ran just fine. Distributor needs a rebuild. Unless I find the right parts PDQ this will be waiting for me after Maui.

Lot of work, but it's fun spinning wrenches.

Peyote, minus guts. Backbreaking work yanking this motor and transmission. Its a tight squeeze.

Old motor is blue, new motor grey. The flywheel bolts and transmission pilot bearing are going to drive me nuts

On a brighter note, my paddles and Foote 9.0 are packed and ready to go.

And because I'm an ADD whack job and can't work on just one project, the latest and greatest shelf bracket  for next year's interior buildout of Nero. This will be the pattern, but I need some more dimple dies to dimple the holes.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 06:10:48 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Working too hard
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 06:12:06 PM »
Good thing that greasy engine is sitting on a faux granite countertop.
Anything else would be....uncivilized.  ;)
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 06:16:08 PM »
Looks like you could break that shelf bracket in half and have a couple pretty nice fins.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 06:47:31 PM »
You just need to get a job...... ;)

I don't think it's faux spook.....the place used to be a granite and tile warehouse.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 07:09:56 PM »
Faux? I have tons of granite and marble. It goes off to the fricken horizon. I let people come and take it to pave their yards. But yeah, it's faux. easier.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 03:42:49 AM »

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 10:35:20 AM »
youve got some nice toy, pono.

we used to remove vw engines by hand. 3-4 guys and a case of beer, and engine out!
If lucky we'd have a block and tackle on a tree--but often just brick, shims wedges and manly lift!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 09:11:56 PM »
I've had a lot of shops over the years, this is the first with a lift. I'm trying to figure out why I was so stupid, so long.

I always have an engine crane, and when I built the back door of my airstream toyhauler, I integrated a track into the door frame, so I could clamp a sliding snatch block onto it, run the cable from the winch that pulls my car into the trailer over the pulley, position car so the engine was under the frame and use the winch to pull it. Worked like a champ.

But most of the engines I've pulled have been by crawling around under the car while it was up on teetering jack stands, and then wiggling it out with a cheap crane. My first one was homemade, and I didn't have enough steel to make the legs long enough, when you pulled up on the engine it would tip the crane down to the engine. I welded a little platform on the back and had one of my fat buddies stand on it while we yanked the motor. Handy when the motor hung up on something, you could have the guy bob up and down to free it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal