Author Topic: Bump Catcher  (Read 8687 times)

PtBobSup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Bump Catcher
« on: October 30, 2014, 02:25:30 PM »
I have a 14 Starboard Open Ocean and a 14 Carbon Allstar and I like them both but I am not convinced that they are the very best downwind.  Wondering if there is something that is a true bump catcher.  Are boards like the M14 and Bullet way better at getting the glides?  Where I am it is mostly windchop, not ocean swell but if those boards are truly better then it would be fun to add you to the collection.  Any others to consider?  Ron House Coastal Cruiser?   I would never race it so I barely care what happens in flat water.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Bump Catcher
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 02:36:18 PM »
Yes, downwind-specific boards are, unsurprisingly perhaps, better to control and easier to get planing than flatwater or hybrid boards.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 02:49:38 PM by Area 10 »

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 02:48:01 PM »
Sorry - the hazards of trying to post using a phone...what I meant to say was:

Yes, downwind-specific boards are, unsurprisingly perhaps, better to control and easier to get planing than flatwater or hybrid boards in proper DW conditions. Although the Fanatic Falcon Ocean is quite easy to get onto a bump. The 2015 Naish Jav planes ok too. But when conditions get big and gnarly it's hard to beat a full-on DW board. SIC are pretty much top of the tree there IMO. BUT it depends a lot on your conditions. The Naish Glide 2013 is a very fast board in smaller conditions, and the Coreban Dart is surprisingly fast in big blow, full-on conditions.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 02:54:13 PM »
The Naish Glide 2013 is a very fast board in smaller conditions

I just received one but had only the chance to take it out once and in flat conditions.
My appetite is even more whetted by your statement. Regretfully as the winter approaches the predictability of winds are declining.
i.e. I do not mind chucking upwind in light wind to then turn and reap the benefits but I am not looking forward to try to make it back in 15-20 knots head winds.

Luc
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

PtBobSup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 03:04:26 PM »
It is often leftovers so the wind has died down a bit.  I know that doesn't help but some days you have to work.  Big and gnarly is probably not what we see too often.  Sounds like there is another board in my future.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 03:37:24 PM »
The Naish Glide 2013 is a very fast board in smaller conditions

I just received one but had only the chance to take it out once and in flat conditions.
My appetite is even more whetted by your statement. Regretfully as the winter approaches the predictability of winds are declining.
i.e. I do not mind chucking upwind in light wind to then turn and reap the benefits but I am not looking forward to try to make it back in 15-20 knots head winds.

Luc
Yeah, up to 15 knots is fun for upwind/DW circuits but by the time it gets to 20 knots the upwind section is getting so slow and the DW section so fast that there are diminishing returns per hour.

Lakeshore1

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 02:18:06 PM »
I added an SIC F14 to my garage this year. It's AMAZING how small a wave the F14 can catch and glide on. Bigger wind and waves are even better. I have only had 4 good downwinders on the F14, but i feel extremely confident and comfortable on this board. Even light winds around 12-15 mph are fun. Planning to do some wind chasing  with it next year so i can rack up more downwind time... :)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 02:45:09 PM »
The magic sauce is the new low low rocker on this smokin DW board which makes it very versatile.  The many DW wins on SIC boards obviously helped speed up all their boards.  Lina proves that SIC designs can also penetrate non DW markets also.  Here is video from JR -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ6dzDDR4Ko
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 03:03:43 PM »
And another innocent is converted to a crack addict. He should save the video so he can explain to his grandkids where their college fund went.

that rocker looks suspiciously familiar -- like the Ku Nalu/Starboard 12'2" rocker. I bet Mark dusted it off again. When you nail it the first time, not much reason not to keep using it. I told him years ago he needed to build a 16 foot Ku Nalu. Looks like we're getting there. Got to be a fun board. I really liked that SIC 11'11" I borrowed at the BOP--enough to bring it home with me.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 03:19:58 PM »
Fast is FUN!   8)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2014, 03:23:14 PM »
Ahh, yes, I see. It's got more tail rocker than the Ku Nalu. I was wrong again. It's OK, I"m used to it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2014, 05:12:12 PM »
I'm sure the F-14 is wonderful if you need the stability of a board that wide, but I've just got a Bullet 14v2, and I'm an instant convert. It picks up any little bump going and is just so refined. So much glide, and such neutral handling. The SIC boards make many of the big name boards feel like prototypes rushed into production before testing was complete. And they look gorgeous too.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2014, 05:51:39 PM »
The production boards are great, the hollow custom boards are works of art and priced accordingly. Ya pays ya money and ya gets in line.

JF808

• Peahi Status
  • From Big Island!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2014, 07:30:31 AM »
I second that...

the production boards are great, and super durable. I've seen some abused 17' V1's and they still performed awesome.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2014, 08:20:47 AM »
The early version of the Dom was notorious for denting just by looking.  Ours is the "special" tuff error labelled version and certainly dents by looking.

Our SB Carbon is solid as a rock in comparison - and the SIC SCC very close.  For the SIC you do need to handle the pretty gloss finish with care as it is sensitive to small impact blows.  Our demo came with a nice star impact that has since been sealed over.

So if concerned about the finish and look - probably good to handle with kid gloves.
Fast is FUN!   8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal