Author Topic: F@#W$##!!!ing shapers!  (Read 21371 times)

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
F@#W$##!!!ing shapers!
« on: October 30, 2014, 12:27:10 PM »
well, at least that's how i feel about my shaper after getting my new supig board.  i mean, really, is it that difficult to listen to what a customer wants and freaking do it?
  this is the second board based on the same shape he's made for me.  V1 was perfect except it weighs 33 lbs and i wanted something roughly the same but around 26 lbs or 27 lbs w/ fin and pad, which is what i told him.  Also, i wanted it a little bit thinner overall.  I gave him some other specs, too, about glassing schedule, use of vector net, etc.
  well, he totally ignored these other specs for the first iteration of V2.  he sent me pix, i told him what was wrong, he said okay he'll redo it.
  so he redid it and it looked good in the photos and so i paid up and it was sent to me.  I received it two days ago and the second i saw it and picked it up, my heart sank.
  first, it weighs 22 lbs or, with fin and pad, 23 lbs.  no no no no!  i kind of figured this was going to happen, just from something he said after the board had been shipped, but i was hoping against hope i was wrong.  i wasn't.  crap.
  and then, far from being a little thinner overall, it's ... wait for it, wait for it ... 1.5" to 2" ***thicker*** overall, with the back third of the board fat like the fat back of a waveski.  see the photos. holy crap!  how is this possible?  wtf? 
  my mind is more than boggled.  i just don't get it.  i'm steaming mad but what can i do?  he's got my money and i have a board that is not what i ordered.  i mean, how'm i supposed to sink the rail/tail of a board that's over 5.5" thick, closer to 6", I bet, if my calipers opened far enough to reach the center.
   i've written him an email expressing my unhappiness but haven't sent it.  my heart is just too heavy right now.  argggg!
   in the photos, the new board is on top, the old one on the bottom.
   btw / all the specs were sent to him in writing and discussed on the phone.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 12:33:29 PM by linter »

lunchbox

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: F@#W$##!!!ing shapers!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 12:40:06 PM »
Oh my God....I'm speechless....I don't even know what to say other than I'm sorry  :'(

Even though I don't know what's on the letter, it's probably a good idea not to send it out when you're angry. Give yourself a while to cool down.

Is there anyway you think he'll take it back? Just be completely honest with him and tell him this is not what you agreed upon and it just won't work for you?

I hope it works out...

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 12:49:39 PM »
Wow...that is amazing Linter.
I can understand how shocked you were/are.

I think that, especially if you gave him the specs in writing, especially about it being thinner,
and it shows up so much fatter, that he would take it back.
Definitely pursue it - yeah, but let the anger cool first.

Just show him how you spec'd it and that pic that makes it obvious something isn't right
with what you ordered and what you got.

That is amazing - wow.
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 12:58:29 PM »
Shocked.

The longer I'm doing this, the more I'm shocked by the "old ways". 

CAD, engineers, etc, if you want meticulous repeatable shapes.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 01:02:29 PM »
Don't wait to tell him, the board isn't as ordered.  But for now, keep it basic and clean.
Yes it sucks.  You want him to correct it, not tell you to go, ###***!

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 01:23:49 PM »
You should be able to reject the board and not have to pay for it. A good shaper is like a good barber ot dentist, once you find one that works for you, stick with them. The shaper I work with puts the board into his shaping program after we decide on how it should be.  We can later look at it on the computer before the blank is shaped. After he gets the blank out of the cdc machine, we can then talk about the final shaping before it gets glass.   

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 01:41:07 PM »
  i've taken my letter and trimmed out all the inflammatory stuff.  good advice.  there still might be anger leakage in the words that i can't see but it's better than what it was.

V1 of this board was perfect but for weight, so i had no reason to expect things in V2 to go so off track.  As I said, I already rejected the first iteration of V2 (it'd been shaped and glassed but not sent) and I doubt he's going to make a third one.  This guy is cranky to begin with -- or at least this time around he has been -- and has complained about the time and expense of the V2 project all along the way, even though he set the price.

I am in Rhode Island, he is in Santa Barbara, so returning the thing would not be a simple matter.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 03:06:05 PM »
 Looking at the tail, it looks like you've got a Hammer Pig on your hands.

supthecreek

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 04:27:30 PM »
Looks more like a fattened up Sea Snake that a pig.

You might want to mention that you are doing research for a new article called "Shaper or CNC, where is the future for the surf industry"

I can make you a board. I read a "How to" post on it somewhere. It will be better than that.

Maybe forward a link to this thread and tell him you will start naming names.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 04:34:12 PM »
Have you surfed it?

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 04:36:53 PM »
As a shaper I take offense to your title.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 05:25:57 PM »
Funny story about F@#W##!!!ing shapers;

When I was twelve, my best friend and I split the cost of a shaped blank ($50) that we were somehow going to glass ourselves. We hung out at the surf shop all day everyday, as little groms will do. We waited and waited. A week turned into a month and still no shaped blank. Finally Joe the shop owner said that, Kirby the shaper, finished shaping our blank and he would bring it into the shop the next morning.

My best friend and I were waiting outside as Joe pulled up to open the shop. He had bad news for us. He said Kirby the shaper, freaked out on acid (it was the summer of love and all) and shaped our finished board into a cross. He gladly refunded our 50 bucks back.

F@#W##!!!ing shapers.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 07:52:18 PM »
SW-- Maybe funny now.  When I was about 15, I put $100 down on a board to be made by a sharper on Balboa Island CA.  He made very good looking boards and had some good team riders.  After too long a time, A small claim was filed.  This caused the police to show up at our house.  Apparently he had a few problems.  Soon after the police visit, he called and said to come pick up the deposit.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 08:27:05 PM »
You could always saw it in two halves along the rails, re-glass the raw parts and put a pad on the bottom one, and have two boards.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

gorgebob

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Gorgeperformance.com
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 09:54:32 PM »
I have only shaped a few boards for people and its really not what I prefer. I don't like the uncertainty of what they want and what I think they want. Although the joy of getting it right is awesome I would much rather have them pick up a board off the shelf and then they get exactly what they get.
They don't have to pretend they love what you created for them or nothing. I wish I had the exacting skill to make replicas but then that is what machines are for.
Founder: Gorge Performance Surf  Shop Portland
Fabricator: RNR Engineering

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal