Author Topic: GoPro: Using tighter field of view for more realistic wave sizes  (Read 10879 times)

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
One reason I haven't got a GoPro (or other action cam) is that the super wide angle field of view tends to make waves look smaller than they really are. I've been using a regular waterproof digital camera that has a field of view of about 81 degrees).  Makes the waves look a lot more like I remember them. However, it's a bit too restricting in the field of view. I'm hoping for something in between.

I noticed on the specs for the GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition, that the available Field of Views are 170°, 127°, or 90°.  Has anyone tried using the 90 or 127 degree view to see if it does a better job of not flattening the waves in the footage?

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: GoPro: Using tighter field of view for more realistic wave sizes
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 09:56:14 AM »
I agree about GoPros.  Many of the other waterproof cams have their widest angle at 24 or 28mm (in 35mm equivalent)  focal length which has a FOV less than the 81 degrees you mentioned.  IMO 35 mm is the ideal focal length.  More than that and your FOV narrows to such a degree that shake becomes a problem.  Even 35 needs a good support like a head or chest mount.  But most of the current waterproof cams have good anti-shake at their lower focal lengths. 

Check out a chart that shows focal length for different FOV.  Find out your sweet spot and buy a cam that suits that.  You can't make the waves more realistic without restricting the FOV but with high res you can crop in post to get more of what you want.

I have a Nikon AW1 which fit that bill for me.

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 12:44:52 PM »
Now I'm thinking about the Olympus TG-850 as a GoPro alternative. It's got a 21mm lens (based on 35mm camera) which is super wide angle as far as standard compact digital cameras go. I think it's the widest angle waterproof compact camera out there (excluding dedicated action cams like the GoPro). 21mm is equivalent to a 92 degree angle of view which is about the same as the "Narrow" field of view setting for a GoPro. It captures 1080p video at 60fps (so you can get some slo-mo footage). It also has a screen that flips up like a selfie cam. I find this useful to confirm that the camera is recording. With with my current Panasonic, I never really know if it's taking video or not when mounted on my board. One restriction is that you're limited to 29 minute clips at a time. The Olympus is a lot cheaper than a GoPro as well and has the versatility to use as a regular stills camera.  Here's a link: http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/tg-850.html

HM, if you're taking video from a boat or filming others, I can see how you'd want to stay at a longer focal length of 35mm to better capture the waves. However, I'm mounting the camera on my board, so I need a wider angle lens.

I figure that 92 degrees (21mm) should be about right. I'm not sure if 92 degrees is wide enough to get your head in the shot, but I'm not too worried about that. My Panasonic has a field of view of 81 degrees and when mounted on the front or back of my 14' board, it captures me up to my waist.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 12:52:05 PM by Argosi »

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 05:11:52 PM »
Certainly not to dissuade your camera purchase in any way -

Have exactly the same viewing concerns.  But have found that gopro cameras provide a fairly close to life wave size even in scrunched superview mode - ymmv.  In video playback mode the view renders waves as we remember them - and up close and personal.  Pics just cannot bring back sound and action of the moment.  This was in a very gentle 10 kts max downwind on the weekend - but in the first pic was paddling full-out to plane and skip wave to wave.

The raised at the rear offset shot provides another angle and includes more perspective in the frame - the board wake footwork paddle effort body position fabric flapping etc.  In playback mode the front view shot almost seems as though you could be on any type of watercraft merrily surfing along with an engine on.

At the end of our DW - paced a dragon boat to give them a gps speed while the team was going full throttle - when I looked at my watch coasting it read 5.0 knots but the gpx track shows a 6.3 peak.  Those women paddling were moving along .....

Here are pics straight from video footage without any distortion removal -
Oh - a base hero is usd 130 list
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

dingfix

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 01:20:54 AM »
Got similar thoughts.  The GoPro is great as an action cam, but I recently used it to film a lake cruise and the stunning mountains ended up looking like small hills!  It was a perfect day, sheet glass,  should have used my Fuji xp instead.

The GoPro manual says to use the not-fisheye setting only if the cam is fastened to something stable, not held or body mounted.  Anyone tried this setting please, might save me losing film of an another epic day.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 01:24:15 AM by dingfix »

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 04:20:30 PM »
Now I'm thinking about the Olympus TG-850 as a GoPro alternative. It's got a 21mm lens (based on 35mm camera) which is super wide angle as far as standard compact digital cameras go. I think it's the widest angle waterproof compact camera out there (excluding dedicated action cams like the GoPro). 21mm is equivalent to a 92 degree angle of view which is about the same as the "Narrow" field of view setting for a GoPro. It captures 1080p video at 60fps (so you can get some slo-mo footage). It also has a screen that flips up like a selfie cam. I find this useful to confirm that the camera is recording. With with my current Panasonic, I never really know if it's taking video or not when mounted on my board. One restriction is that you're limited to 29 minute clips at a time. The Olympus is a lot cheaper than a GoPro as well and has the versatility to use as a regular stills camera.  Here's a link: http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/tg-850.html

HM, if you're taking video from a boat or filming others, I can see how you'd want to stay at a longer focal length of 35mm to better capture the waves. However, I'm mounting the camera on my board, so I need a wider angle lens.

I figure that 92 degrees (21mm) should be about right. I'm not sure if 92 degrees is wide enough to get your head in the shot, but I'm not too worried about that. My Panasonic has a field of view of 81 degrees and when mounted on the front or back of my 14' board, it captures me up to my waist.
That Oly looks great for what you need and it's light which my AW-1 Nikon isn't.  Can't wait to see what you get out of it.  92 degrees is fairly wide.  You'll see a little distortion but not much.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 09:02:06 PM »
If 21 mm is about right front or back then the Olympus is a good choice for you.  The 850 is a very solid camera and know a friend who has one.  Maybe we can try that cam on our front facing mounts and see how the wave footage turns out.

We adjust the footage wave size by positioning the cam higher or lower as needed.  No doubt distortion from a 14 will be cut drastically - but as you can see - we are ok with it and love wide angles on our boards.

Here are a couple of links for gopro FOV info and a good FOV video comparison test -

http://gopro.com/support/articles/hero3-field-of-view-fov-information

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KItJRr9Hlo
Fast is FUN!   8)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 12:21:59 PM »
Tested this set-up at home and it should theoretically work.  The FOV is ok at 21 but needed to move back obviously.  Compared shots from the gopro and 850 and overlaid the images - the distortion in the center was much less than expected.  Wave size should be pretty much the same.  The images previously shown from the gopro do correctly represent wave size that day.

This should work on my gopro mount as do not have an aftermarket gopro to tripod adapter.  May have to dream up something more aesthetic.  Here is the set-up -
Fast is FUN!   8)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 09:44:17 PM »
Mount worked ok but was a bit flexy flexy in wave action as the 850 tripod mount is offset and the camera very heavy compared to the light centered gopro.  Much different perspective zoomed in tight at 21 - but did get some very nice footage from both cams.  The Olympus is mma in your face tight and the gopro more documentary national geographic like.  Here are 2 comparison shots at about the same time -
Fast is FUN!   8)

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 02:19:39 PM »
If 21 mm is about right front or back then the Olympus is a good choice for you.  The 850 is a very solid camera and know a friend who has one.  Maybe we can try that cam on our front facing mounts and see how the wave footage turns out.

We adjust the footage wave size by positioning the cam higher or lower as needed.  No doubt distortion from a 14 will be cut drastically - but as you can see - we are ok with it and love wide angles on our boards.

Here are a couple of links for gopro FOV info and a good FOV video comparison test -

http://gopro.com/support/articles/hero3-field-of-view-fov-information

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KItJRr9Hlo

That was a great comparison video Eagle! Much appreciated. The narrow angle doesn't look too bad.

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 02:26:14 PM »
So I picked up the Olympus TG-850. I was surprised to see that when you switch it to video, the field of view gets smaller by quite a bit. In photo mode, you can get a 21mm FOV, but when you switch to video mode, it might be 28mm or so, which is not what I was hoping for. The FOV on the camera in video mode was not much wider than my old Panasonic camera. My Panasonic also reduces the FOV in video mode, but not by quite as much as the Olympus.

The Olympus is a very nice camera for general photography - love the 21mm lens and the 180 degree flip screen, photo quality is average for a waterproof point and shoot. It also takes super close macro shots - full screen view of the iris of my eye (lit by led lamp) -with selfie framing made possible by the flip screen. However, I've got enough regular cameras so I'm afraid I'm going to have to return it.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 03:23:04 PM »
Your note about FOV intrigued me so I tested that today.  With IS off the video FOV is the same as taking a photo - maybe test that on yours.  I always turn off IS as I dislike any jello.  Am getting used to the tight front view and the camera is ok for a more versatile mountable waterproof cam with full sound.  Pic IQ is the worst of any cam I have but the 1080 60p is perfectly fine for basic video.  Our other waterproof cam is an early gen that only shoots 720 15p.  Here are a couple more comparison pics - am starting to like it since I MacGyvered the gopro mount to remove flex -
Fast is FUN!   8)

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 03:30:50 PM »
The GoPro wide angle distortion is not so noticeable if you can point the camera at the horizon.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2014, 03:31:04 PM »
I might try some other cameras on my mount and see how it compares.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 03:33:48 PM by DavidJohn »

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2014, 03:50:40 PM »
Distortion can get pretty nasty based on even a slight offset to camera angle and mounting position.  See these pics from the weekend -
Fast is FUN!   8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal