Author Topic: Adventure to the dark side  (Read 21567 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Adventure to the dark side
« on: October 25, 2014, 09:43:59 PM »
Yesterday Jeremy Riggs, one of the best water surface readers on the island, called and ask me to jump in his OC-2 with him for today's race from Maliko to Kahului.  Why, I don't know.  My first and only canoe run of any kind was three years ago, also in an OC-2 with Mark Raapahorst owner of SIC.  He paddled mostly and I took video so I had that experience sitting in one and watching Livio through my viewfinder.

So despite knowing that I had almost no experience he asked me and who was I to say no.  Too great an opportunity.  Knew I'd put myself in a world of hurt but went for it anyway.   Big nerves before the start.  Felt like my first run.  JR said we were going to cruise... in a race?... right.

We flipped before the start but getting back on as described by my pals worked easily.  Edged out to the start and took off with Cove and Kathy.  Light winds still provided enough slope for good gliding with a boat, stuff I knew I wouldn't be finding on a SUP.  So impressive what they can do.  Then I was treated to the exquisite steering by JR.  It just blew my mind how he could see the set ups for slopes before they were there.  I wanted to not flip and leaned too heavy on the ama at first but JR got me to brace on outside with blade to satisfy my panicky urges.  I could see how that allowed him more mobility in all directions as well as speed increase.  We had Cove within sight and closed on him until we finally got too cavalier and flipped for our only time during the race. 

Wind and seas had increased and we were productive to the finish... right behind Cove.  As expected, massive soreness in low back and tendons on inner leg.  But all and all we did OK and for sure my fastest time ever, 1:17.  An OC-2 steers like a truck but the enthusiasm of paddling with another is really cool.  You never pick daises. 

Cove got first, Kathy got first, JR and I got first in OC-2 and this young guy (24) Ryan who just bought my old Bullet beat all of us except Kathy.  Only guy on a SUP.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure to the dark side
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 10:37:56 PM »
The long period of hot, humid and sticky weather has made some of us downwind junkies a little stir crazy. That means, even light trade winds will entice us out on the water. But, if it's too light, you're better off in a boat.

I hadn't planned on doing the race really. Yesterday, Kathy and I ended up paddling Maliko in our boats. HM had told me it looked ok, but that it might be windier than it appeared due to a straight east wind direction.

We showed up for the shuttle with our boats and there were only three of us! I don't think I've ever seen such a weak turn out. The wind didn't look too bad from on shore but it appeared to be more of a boat day than a stand up day.

When we got out there, it ended up being as HM had guessed - the wind was so east that you couldn't accurately gauge it from land, and it built in strength very quickly. It ended up being a cranking day and we could have had a great run on our boards. But, we had boats.

Both Kathy and I were close to survival mode - going for it, but paying serious attention to balance and staying upright. When we finished, I was only giving today's race about a 30% chance - I figured I wasn't really ready.

Woke up, had some coffee and decided to see if Kathy was going to race. She texted me back to get going! Bill and JR were doing the OC 2 and she was going to shuttle up with them.

My wife, very generously, offered to shuttle me up to Maliko. I hurried and loaded, forgot my shirt, remembered all the other essentials and made it to the Gulch by 8:15.

So glad I took the chance and did the race. I did way better than I expected and it was a blast chasing my pals down the coast. HM and JR's tactical error of taking a swim mid race worked in my favor and I was paying close attention to not falling over. For a while, I stayed pretty close behind Kathy in her ski, but she was able to get a good gap on me as the race wore on. Our adventure on Friday in big conditions had actually made a big difference for me today. I felt much more relaxed in the boat than I have so far in my relatively short OC1 career.

The bumps were really fun and there were lots of them. Even though the wind wasn't super strong, it was decent. There was some decent sized, building swell that became evident off Sprecklesville and paddling the outer reef along Kanaha was pretty fun. Plenty of bumps! About the best Maliko I've had in my one-man so far. And very fun to finally enter a race!

They served up a nice lunch and we all were sore but smiling and happy. The canoe club  gave out plenty of medals but didn't drag the awards out forever. It was really a fun event made even better by getting to race with Kathy, HM, JR and lots of other stoked paddlers. There is a rumor that we are going to get some strong trades later in the week - I'll take it, I'm ready to do some stand up paddling again! Southbay and I will be  working on HM to score a boat. It's just a really great compliment to standup for getting out on the water.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 07:49:00 AM »
Wish I could have had a pic of both of us laying back horizontal, poking tako.  I was in the front and water went all the way over my face.  Those were exciting moments as well as the six or so saves we had.  The time we did flip happened so freaking fast there was no telling the reason why.

This is a pic when we were underway.  The huge back in front of us is Ryan on my old Bullet.  He looked strong and was young but I didn't expect him to do so well on such a light day in comparison to most of the boats.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 08:20:38 AM »
Good stuff. I'm looking forward to doing a bit of canoeing and a lot of SUPing. Cold and rainy here in the hood. Time to go. Fall is beautiful here, but the water is not inviting. Still might get a crazy run in out east. We're watching it closely. A run like last year's would set me up really well. I'm pretty cranky.

I think we might need to find the time to form an OC-6 team this year. Bunch of SUP goofballs in and OC6 sounds totally stupid, but fun. I could probably borrow or rent one of Malama's boats. Maybe he'd steer and we'd have someone in the boat who actually knew what he was doing.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 09:30:15 AM »
Yes that's important that someone knows what's going on.  Just the quick briefing I got before going out helped a ton.  JR had a little time in the OC-2 but that was his first full Maliko run as well.  Some of the saves were cool and he employed LPB's leg in the water move once or twice. 

Six man would be wild.  That 160 pound carbon  version would sure be sweet.

I'll be on Oahu the day you return to gouge another barnacle, very close to my eye.  More time off the water.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 09:32:39 AM »
I hope you're getting mohs instead of just getting it whacked.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 09:37:17 AM »
Yeah mohs of course.  It's on the face but I'll still look like Frankenstein.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 09:40:49 AM »
So no big change then?

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 10:14:23 AM »
What a view, beautiful.

I'll be on Oahu the day you return to gouge another barnacle, very close to my eye.  More time off the water.

I guess we'll be getting more Hawaiian photo morsels from you. :)

Good luck with you're trip.

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 12:41:06 AM »
Stoked you guys all had such a good race, and especially that HM had so much fun in the OC-2.  I think I have only had 2-3 downwind SUP runs in the last month.  It is was not for the boat, I'd be very very cranky! 

Kathy, Cove and I went in the shuttle today.  HM called and said that he couldn't go, but it looked good.   After a few texts back and forth, we decided to go with the boats again.  The wind looked like it had a bit of north to it, and the wind speed was only 16mph at noon. 

As we were paddling out of the gulch, it was clear that there was some decent North swell.  It was also pretty clear that the wind was better that we anticipated.  We decided to stick together and go outside a fair distance.  I think today was my 5th Maliko run in a boat, so novice to say the least. 

As soon as we turned downhill we had good glides.  The water was really moving around and could get confused at times.  There were at least 4 serious swell directions mixed up in there, but boats really cut through chop and keep moving downhill at a different level. 

We all did a good job sticking together and hooting each other into glides.  The bumps really got big over the reef at Uppers and it was so great watching Cove and Kathy drop in to bomb after bomb!  Both of their rudders were completely out of the water as they pointed downhill at 45 degree angles.  I caught 4-5 huge waves in a row and shot across the reef faster than I ever have.  In the middle of the mayhem Cove shouted to me "sleigh-rides!".  Pretty much sums it up, those last couple miles were Hawaiian Sleigh-rides for sure.

Back at the harbor Ralf (who was clean and dry by the time we got there) was saying how difficult a run it was. He still kicked out ass, but with the boat, it was one of the best runs I've had this fall, and my best run yet in a boat. 

Anyway, dark side is right.  This boat thing is addicting....but if the wind picks up any more, it is SUP time.  As Jeremy said, "never been surfing and thought, 'man I wish I could sit down'". 

Thanks Maui.....good day today!

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 12:54:03 AM »
^^^^^You summed it up nicely SB. What a day out there!

I think I'm into the double digits on number of Maliko's in the canoe so far and still well inside novice territory but this past few days has really pushed the envelope for me. Friday was big and so was today. So fun to be out there with you and Kathy. You guys are such awesome paddle partners, whether we're standing up or not.

SB saw me hooking up the 'Me Pro' at the start of the run and teased me about taking selfies but I wanted to capture what the run was like. The first photo has Kathy and SB in it. I was hoping with the camera facing back to get some cool shots of these guys. Of course they passed me. What was I thinking?

I'm ready to get back on the stand up but as SB points out, there are times when boats really cut through the water when conditions get funky.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 12:55:47 AM by covesurfer »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 07:19:14 AM »
Sigh....jealous.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 08:26:01 AM »
So glad to hear you are having so much fun.  Boats are a blast.

Kai Bartlett's dad lives on Kauai and has friends that set up clinics.  They talked Kai into doing clinics on Maui.  One visit with Kai will change everything.  Trust me, you will want answers to many questions when you start to get fast, and that's right around the corner.  Do a solo session with him, maybe the two of you.  One short visit in the harbor is all you need.  Don't hesitate, do it.

http://kaiclinics.com/lessons/

http://youtu.be/cWU2f_jC4IE     
Support your local shaper

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 09:50:36 AM »
Thanks for the link LPB! This is going to be great! There are numerous clinics coming up - I'm definitely in.

It's surprising how much you can learn through experience but just as you say, experience also brings up many questions. I hope I haven't already developed too many bad habits. Using the Gopro helps me to see glaringly obvious issues but, I lack the knowledge of what to even look for beyond certain basics.

SB, we gotta do this.

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 09:52:24 AM »
I'm in.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal